RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Favourite Positive Moment as a Wrexham Fan (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/115520-favourite-positive-moment-wrexham-fan.html)

Prodigal Dragon 19th March 2020 09.52:21

Favourite Positive Moment as a Wrexham Fan

There is enough doom and gloom due to CV-19; and enough OTT slagging off of the Board. So, on a more upbeat note, which game or incident 'rocks your boat' as a Wrexham fan.

Mine was our 3-2 victory over Spurs in the League Cup back in 1976. Wagged school to go to London by train, and saw our best footballing display ever. Happy days, indeed!

Wrexham: Lloyd, Mason, Fogg, Davis, May, Evans, Tinnion, Sutton, Ashcroft, Kinsey, Thomas

Rhosymedre Red 19th March 2020 10.01:10

Re: Favourite Positive Moment as a Wrexham Fan

Although certainly not the best game i have seen watching Wrexham over the years Wrexham v Roma sticks in my mind due to a flare just behind me. a Night in Europe that will probably never happen again.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_dCiikhoV0[/url]

Red Light 19th March 2020 10.08:17

Without a doubt winning the FA trophy infront of 36,000 at Wembley accompanied by my young son.
I mean little Wrexham playing at Wembley and winning a big shiny silver cup.
From digging my self out of the road which was deep in snow the night before to when Bowie's 'Heroes' started booming out after the final whistle - something's are rare and priceless - winning.

Secondly gaining promotion at the Od Show Ground.
Northampton Town 0 Wrexham 2
That man Gary Bennett with 2 goals on a lovely sun drenched evening.
The pitch invasion at the end was something else - seemed everyone from North Wales was there that night.

Foxy 19th March 2020 10.12:43

I think Steve Watkin's winner was one of those moments when I had some kind of outer body experience. It was unreal to see this small physically immature striker get in before a clumsy Adams (according to Chris Sutton the best ever centre half in the Premier League) , and half hit a shot which somehow managed to evade one of England's greatest goalkeepers.

Good thread idea PD.

dragonspark 19th March 2020 10.24:46

Wrexham 7 v Rothyerham 1, aprill 22 1978, five nil up half time, they said only 16,000 there, bollocks, you couldnt move on the kop, there was 16,000 on the pitch after kick off, i still have vivid memories of that whole day, my first true taste of pure ecstasy.
One vivid memory is standing by the Arts College entrance looking up to the racecourse and down into town, the crowd were singing and chanting with raised hands clapping, as far as could be seen in both directions there was raised clapping hands, it looked so bloody impressive, must stop this i,ll be crying in a minute

krux 19th March 2020 10.24:57

[QUOTE=Foxy;2349443]I think Steve Watkin's winner was one of those moments when I had some kind of outer body experience. It was unreal to see this small physically immature striker get in before a clumsy Adams (according to Chris Sutton the best ever centre half in the Premier League) , and half hit a shot which somehow managed to evade one of England's greatest goalkeepers.

Good thread idea PD.[/QUOTE]

Mine is similar but it was Mickey's free kick.

I was sat in the yale stand in line with it, and I was expecting Seaman to appear and grab it, but when the net grabbed it.....

I had been going to games for about 9 pretty grim years (Porto apart) at that point, so that was definitely my favourite and first special moment.

davewilli 19th March 2020 10.34:01

Mine is at the start of our glory years. The FA cup 5th round victory against Lawrie Macnemeny's highly experienced Southampton. Dave Smallman leaping like a salmon to head the winner, but the things that stuck were how muddy all 11 white shirts were at the end of the game and losing my voice for the first time at a football match.

Lloyd, Jones, Fogg, Davis, May, Evans, Tinnion, Whittle, Griffiths, Davies, Smallman sub Thomas.

1973/74 FA Cup Run
[url=http://www.wrexhamprogrammes.com/197374-fa-cup-run.html]1973/74 FA Cup Run[/url]

Wiltshire_Red 19th March 2020 10.41:06

[QUOTE=dragonspark;2349444]Wrexham 7 v Rothyerham 1, aprill 22 1978, five nil up half time, they said only 16,000 there, bollocks, you couldnt move on the kop, there was 16,000 on the pitch after kick off, i still have vivid memories of that whole day, my first true taste of pure ecstasy.
One vivid memory is standing by the Arts College entrance looking up to the racecourse and down into town, the crowd were singing and chanting with raised hands clapping, as far as could be seen in both directions there was raised clapping hands, it looked so bloody impressive, must stop this i,ll be crying in a minute[/QUOTE]

This for me is the most positive memory, which meant promotion to what is now the Championship for the first time, and especially coming so soon after the heartache the previous season.

redone 19th March 2020 10.43:01

[QUOTE=davewilli;2349447]Mine is at the start of our glory years. The FA cup 5th round victory against Lawrie Macnemeny's highly experienced Southampton. Dave Smallman leaping like a salmon to head the winner, but the things that stuck were how muddy all 11 white shirts were at the end of the game and losing my voice for the first time at a football match.

Lloyd, Jones, Fogg, Davis, May, Evans, Tinnion, Whittle, Griffiths, Davies, Smallman sub Thomas.

1973/74 FA Cup Run
[url=http://www.wrexhamprogrammes.com/197374-fa-cup-run.html]1973/74 FA Cup Run[/url][/QUOTE]

is there any footage of Dave Smallman? i herd so much about him but never seen any footage

evilelfed 19th March 2020 10.43:36

Not a great game but for a single moment I can't think of much better than Kevin Russell's late winner at West Ham.

There are loads of other more minor moments that stick in my mind - One is Mel Pejic's late equalizer at Darlington on a Tuesday night - I remember we all went beserk.

OneLoveWrexham 19th March 2020 10.46:25

Mine was Paul Rutherford’s side step dummie on Geraint to get to the photocopier first to sign his contract as Geraint said is was a mistake and was going to put it in the shredder.

In all seriousness the Arsenal game was immense as I was 10 at the time but I think the Luton game in the league, 3-0 down at half time and down to 10 men and coming back to win 4-3

fezbob 19th March 2020 10.59:17

Finding it hard to pick one. The away win at Bury when we got promoted in 2003, the 3-2 away win at Hillsborough the following season and the 2-1 over Tranmere when Shaun Holmes thumped one in from far out are some of my earlier memories. Not long after that there was the LDV Vans final with Fergie's forward roll after he nicked one late on.

More recently the Brentford and Brighton FA Cup games were pretty ace and I'll never forget going 1-0 up at Stoke. In the league the away win at Kidderminster in the play offs was probably the happiest I've been following Wrexham for a long time. The first time at Wembley in the trophy was also special.

Nice to remind yourself there have been some pretty good times following Wrexham as well as the bad.

dixienormous 19th March 2020 11.00:08

King Connolly slotting in the third at St Andrews

Prodigal Dragon 19th March 2020 11.13:53

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2349456]King Connolly slotting in the third at St Andrews[/QUOTE]

Had £10 at 33/1 on a 3-1 win.

Paid for my dear, old mam's washing-machine.

A great day out!

Prodigal Dragon 19th March 2020 11.14:37

[QUOTE=OneLoveWrexham;2349451]

In all seriousness the Arsenal game was immense as I was 10 at the time but I think the Luton game in the league, 3-0 down at half time and down to 10 men and coming back to win 4-3[/QUOTE]

A final warning, not a Yellow Card!

Positive vibes, only!:)

Halkynred 19th March 2020 11.18:03

[QUOTE=dragonspark;2349444]Wrexham 7 v Rothyerham 1, aprill 22 1978, five nil up half time, they said only 16,000 there, bollocks, you couldnt move on the kop, there was 16,000 on the pitch after kick off, i still have vivid memories of that whole day, my first true taste of pure ecstasy.
One vivid memory is standing by the Arts College entrance looking up to the racecourse and down into town, the crowd were singing and chanting with raised hands clapping, as far as could be seen in both directions there was raised clapping hands, it looked so bloody impressive, must stop this i,ll be crying in a minute[/QUOTE]

I was stood in Yale Paddock with my brother that day, remember Gareth Davies sitting on the side lines in his kit crying tears of joy and me and my brother patting him on the back- not sure had he come off injured.

What a day and what a feeling.

Inside Left 19th March 2020 11.21:26

Agree that the Rotherham game was key in that it sent the club in to the ,what is the Championship, managed by a lad from Hightown !!! Then of course the 2 matches v Anderlecht which saw the club go head to head against one of the top European teams at the time.
For me - Rotherham and home - and - Anderlecht at home. There are of course many others in the cup yet I don't put the Arsenal win that high up the list because there were many more memorable cup encounters.

krux 19th March 2020 11.27:57

The welsh cup final '95 needs a mention.

Watching that again on youtube just reminded me what a quality striker Gary Bennett was.

Tony the Red 19th March 2020 11.31:51

Beating Crystal Palace in the Cup, tough place lots of bovver then Sutton/Smallman scored the stand I was hiding in erupted seemed to be 6000 red and white scarfs, fighting stopped on the terraces Palace fans retreated, least that's how I remember it! My daughter now lives opposite the Palace ground I give it a friendly wave as I drive by

percy vere 19th March 2020 11.41:16

Trundles hat trick against Oxford - awesome

krux 19th March 2020 11.44:35

need some conference era stuff....

J-Lo's goals. Virtually every one was a 30 yard stunner

Halkynred 19th March 2020 11.51:37

Llewelyn back heel for Proctor in
Boston game
Awesome

Haruki 19th March 2020 12.07:19

[QUOTE=OneLoveWrexham;2349451]Mine was Paul Rutherford’s side step dummie on Geraint to get to the photocopier first to sign his contract as Geraint said is was a mistake and was going to put it in the shredder.

In all seriousness the Arsenal game was immense as I was 10 at the time but I think the Luton game in the league, 3-0 down at half time and down to 10 men and coming back to win 4-3[/QUOTE]

That was all believable until you suggested that Paul Rutherford had a side step dummie in his repertoire

Hometown Unicorn 19th March 2020 13.21:46

The goal at Stoke. Limbs!

Phils-an-alki 19th March 2020 13.35:24

When Spencer tweeted 'excitingtimesahead'.

When I got selected for the 'we're going to contact your employer and try to get you sacked' VIP director event.

When the strategy house document was unveiled - I wet my pants with excitement.

When the JCP post anything on facebook. Its award winning, ground breaking stuff.

When I get to games early just to witness the Pep Darlington warm up drills, jaw dropping and genius.

When Rutherford gets the ball at his feet. Its enchanting.

When Akil brilliantly doesn't touch the ball once for large periods of the game. Its pure genius, a new breed of midfield wizardry has been born.

Every Keates post match interview. Each and everyone is a detailed and concise footballing education.

When we signed Massanka. A day I'll never forget. Right up there with the birth of my children, my wedding day etc. What a coup.

The day we got rid of Dom Vose. One day he'll learn its all about running. We showed him.

The traditional and annual Ruthers signs a new contract day. In my house we treat this like Christmas and its become a favourite annual event.

Wxm boy 19th March 2020 13.36:39

Promotion at Northampton for me. Unbelievable support.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

Prodigal Dragon 19th March 2020 13.37:52

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2349480]When Spencer tweeted 'excitingtimesahead'.

When I got selected for the 'we're going to contact your employer and try to get you sacked' VIP director event.

When the JCP post anything on facebook. Its award winning, ground breaking stuff.

When I get to games early just to witness the Pep Darlington warm up drills, jaw dropping and genius.

When Akil brilliantly doesn't touch the ball once for large periods of the game. Its pure genius, a new breed of midfield wizardry has been born.

Every Keates post match interview. Each and everyone is a detailed and concise footballing education.

When we signed Massanka. A day I'll never forget. Right up there with the birth of my children, my wedding day etc. What a coup.

The day we got rid of Dom Vose. One day he'll learn its all about running. We showed him.[/QUOTE]

I have been timing how long it would be before you popped up. Sadly, you cannot help yourself, can you.;)

-luke 19th March 2020 13.52:59

Probably West Ham away 97 fa cup

fluffysheepsupporter 19th March 2020 14.04:42

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2349480]When Spencer tweeted 'excitingtimesahead'.

The day we got rid of Dom Vose. One day he'll learn its all about running. We showed him.

The traditional and annual Ruthers signs a new contract day. In my house we treat this like Christmas and its become a favourite annual event.[/QUOTE]

The moment I realised Phil was not the person who sits next to me in the stand.

wrexham forever 19th March 2020 14.11:50

Excellent idea for a thread PD. Let's hope the negativity keeps off it and we can all remind others of the great times we have had as a Wrexham fan

There are many games on my list, wins at Spurs, Birmingham, West Ham, Shrewsbury Old Gay Meadow when Benno scored and goose stepped in front of there fans but my favourite must be the European win in Lyngby.

We travelled by mini bus, staying in Lubeck which is virtually on the East/west German border on unification night - what a night, followed by that great win. That night I experienced my first taste of karaoke in Copenhagen with all the team celebrating with the fans - some of them too young to drink.

I look forward to reading others favourite memories - should bring back some great memories for many of us.

Huffy 19th March 2020 14.33:22

[QUOTE=fluffysheepsupporter;2349489]The moment I realised Phil was not the person who sits next to me in the stand.[/QUOTE]

You know you dont sit next to Phil because you would have strangled him by now ;)

One of my favorite memories of the years was the day I stood in the Mold Rd Paddock with the 2 other lads that came with me !
We never used to go in there as we were Kop watchers but for some reason we had done that day ! Cant recall the game now .
My one mate had been groaning out loud and cussing ,grumbling about Mel Sutton's languid style for quite a while till an middle aged bloke 2 rows in front gave my mate the full analysis of Mels hidden talents and told him to belt up :D

Other than that being in the back of the Busfield stand watching us play West Ham in the cup 74?

Phils-an-alki 19th March 2020 14.55:03

I forgot one. When the DSA were booted out of the club and then the board lied about it. ANOTHER special day with special memories.

#fanscan

Phils-an-alki 19th March 2020 14.59:48

[QUOTE=Huffy;2349491]You know you dont sit next to Phil because you would have strangled him by now ;)
[/QUOTE]

His hands are far too busy during games to strangle, lets call it 'director duties' :eek:

Huffy 19th March 2020 15.14:47

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2349495]His hands are far too busy during games to strangle, lets call it 'director duties' :eek:[/QUOTE]

Ok

I am dissappointed though ,that in a general sea of shyte ,and at a moment some people want to have a genuine positive smile at times gone past , some people choose to post more tiresome pathetic sarcastic drivel!!

Just saying :)

TWREX 19th March 2020 15.32:02

[QUOTE=Huffy;2349491]You know you dont sit next to Phil because you would have strangled him by now ;)

One of my favorite memories of the years was the day I stood in the Mold Rd Paddock with the 2 other lads that came with me !
We never used to go in there as we were Kop watchers but for some reason we had done that day ! Cant recall the game now .
My one mate had been groaning out loud and cussing ,grumbling about Mel Sutton's languid style for quite a while till an middle aged bloke 2 rows in front gave my mate the full analysis of Mels hidden talents and told him to belt up :D

Other than that being in the back of the Busfield stand watching us play West Ham in the cup 74?[/QUOTE]

I had many happy times in the Mold road paddock, used to go with the brother in law sort of lad you'd not argue with. At that time the Turf had it's outside viewing platform,we used to stand directly in front of it always remember him turning around and shouting Get in here you tight bar stewards and pay your money.He also shouted out at Everton when we were surrounded,Fancy watching this shite every week ,I used to cringe but very fond memories.

Zipper 19th March 2020 15.32:10

Other than that being in the back of the Busfield stand watching us play West Ham in the cup 74?[/QUOTE]

Think you mean Middlesborough
I am sure it was on a Sunday could be incorrect

Huffy 19th March 2020 15.41:43

[QUOTE=Zipper;2349503]Think you mean Middlesborough
I am sure it was on a Sunday could be incorrect[/QUOTE]
No , possibly it was in League 2 then , Dec 9th 78 looking at Wiki at home in the snow ,Trevor Brooking was playing , we won 4-3 :)
However ,I thought it earlier than that !! My minds going !

Zipper 19th March 2020 15.45:03

[QUOTE=Huffy;2349504]No , possibly it was in League 2 then , Dec 9th 78 looking at Wiki at home in the snow ,Trevor Brooking was playing , we won 4-3 :)
However ,I thought it earlier than that !! My minds going ![/QUOTE]

Trevor booking a gentleman

Sir Crispin Lane 19th March 2020 15.50:19

[QUOTE=Red Light;2349442]Without a doubt winning the FA trophy infront of 36,000 at Wembley accompanied by my young son.
I mean little Wrexham playing at Wembley and winning a big shiny silver cup.
From digging my self out of the road which was deep in snow the night before to when Bowie's 'Heroes' started booming out after the final whistle - something's are rare and priceless - winning.

Secondly gaining promotion at the Od Show Ground.
Northampton Town 0 Wrexham 2
That man Gary Bennett with 2 goals on a lovely sun drenched evening.
The pitch invasion at the end was something else - seemed everyone from North Wales was there that night.[/QUOTE]

That night in Northampton was the best for me. Part of the generation too young to remember the 70’s and used to the pretty grim 80’s . That night was like a release of years and years of disappointment and mediocrity. How I’d love mediocrity in league2 right now...

Phils-an-alki 19th March 2020 16.03:30

[QUOTE=Huffy;2349500]Ok

I am dissappointed though ,that in a general sea of shyte ,and at a moment some people want to have a genuine positive smile at times gone past , some people choose to post more tiresome pathetic sarcastic drivel!!

Just saying :)[/QUOTE]

Its hardly the end of the world, what a drama queen.

I'm smiling though. At all the ones who took my initial post so seriously and got all arsey and defensive over it.
I guess the truth really does hurt, even if its not meant for the precious petals to take offence.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 13.14:25.