Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th March 2020, 15.56:56   #100-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: MRS
Twitter: @

Default Re: Decision on finishing the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossopred View Post
In my opinion there is only one solution to this whole dilemma.
The season should end now with teams' positioned by points per game (PPG).
There should be no play-off matches - BUT - Barrow should be promoted. They are ahead on all counts and they will replace Bury in the Football League (Stevenage would not be relegate).
Chorley would be relegated from N.L. as their position is already virtually irretrievable.
This would leave two vacancies in our league to be filled by Kings Lynn Town (N.L.North)(PPG) and Wealdstone (N.L.South)
This leaves a full complement of 24 teams to start the new season,as usual, in August.
OR IS THIS TOO SIMPLE!!!!
How can you be ok with relegating Chorley and not Stevenage? For me voiding all the leagues is the fairest way. I would be pissed in barrow/Liverpool position but there are more important things going on.
Old 27th March 2020, 16.03:03   #101-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_1072 View Post
How can you be ok with relegating Chorley and not Stevenage? For me voiding all the leagues is the fairest way. I would be pissed in barrow/Liverpool position but there are more important things going on.
This.

Once you have a two tier system based on the balance of probability for one club and not the other you are doomed.
Old 27th March 2020, 16.15:53   #102-0 (permalink)
Trialist

Racecourse Spot:

I am not OK with not relegating Stevenage, but this is the option with haviing no play-off matches and to replace Bury.
Old 27th March 2020, 17.00:01   #103-0 (permalink)
-

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffysheepsupporter View Post
For all football and that includes The National League. Looking ahead when relaxations start maybe football comes back at the point at which it started to stop. Played behind closed doors only at the top level, but with a Government directive to Sky, BT and Amazon to let it be screened free to air to all those millions still having to self isolate. Just a thought.
And if you've not got sky bt or Amazon there's always the dodgy box better picture than sky or bt for nothing.

Last edited by bowler; 27th March 2020 at 17.01:16..
Old 27th March 2020, 17.54:49   #104-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: gus

Whenever football restarts I think all outstanding fixtures should be completed. Never mind about next season,could even have a break from Cup games and play twice a week to catch up. I know a lot won’t agree but it’s the fairest way out. Would be a lot more for that outcome if Wrexham where in the top position.
Old 27th March 2020, 19.59:09   #105-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnwontwo View Post
Whenever football restarts I think all outstanding fixtures should be completed. Never mind about next season,could even have a break from Cup games and play twice a week to catch up. I know a lot won’t agree but it’s the fairest way out. Would be a lot more for that outcome if Wrexham where in the top position.
I thought this originally but, by the time this thing is over, I feel that many teams will look nothing like they do now thanks to contracts finishing and the overall effects of this virus. I don't think this mini season would reflect the whole season in any meaningful way. Scrub the whole thing and start again.
Old 27th March 2020, 23.46:28   #106-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: I wish

I think if all teams survive the break we should rank all teams based on where they finish based on PPG.

Keep relegation and promotion numbers as per agreement at start of this season and also promote highest ranked team in a playoff position.

BUT:

If teams go broke and I think many will, we need to seriously readjust.
This is where the problem will be (Bury is just the start).

If this occurs, rank all teams on PPG and simply put them into divisions based on final positions this season.
I don't think it will take much to bankrupt 10 or more teams in the Football league and many more in the lower leagues.

This could get very interesting. Wrexham could actually benefit from the sound financial position it is in and theoretically actually end up in the footbal league (just need 18 clubs to fold). Im betting 17 will fold

Failed clubs could restart as AFC clubs in the lowest Pyramid leagues and work their way back.

Don't underestimate the impact of what we are going through....

In Australia our AFL, Rugby League and Football leagues are all suspended with players taking up to 90% pay cuts. And some clubs still expected to go broke. Sponsorships are being cut as is TV money. These are very interesting times.
Old 28th March 2020, 07.14:22   #107-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

I’m a huge advocate of finishing this season before you start a new one. Contracts is a minor issue that can be resolved easily by the PFA en masses agreeing to extend all contracts to the new end of season, likewise with loans.
Take as long as it takes for it to be safe to play football again and whatever time is lost is adjusted from future football seasons but at least the required adjustments are known upfront and will be fair to all.
This is the only fair and honourable way to deal with the situation. Scrap the season, end it on current standings, PPG....all of these are grossly unfair to some teams. Not finishing this season will have repercussions that are moaned about for centuries just how Everton fans still moan about Hyseil preventing them playing in Europe. It will be dragged through the courts by clubs who will have lost millions from any other decision than finishing this season and they will have a very valid case as regardless of the extenuating circumstances the league will have chosen the wrong option when they could have played out the games to a natural conclusion.
Old 28th March 2020, 08.01:30   #108-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Moan Road Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruki View Post
I’m a huge advocate of finishing this season before you start a new one. Contracts is a minor issue that can be resolved easily by the PFA en masses agreeing to extend all contracts to the new end of season, likewise with loans.
Take as long as it takes for it to be safe to play football again and whatever time is lost is adjusted from future football seasons but at least the required adjustments are known upfront and will be fair to all.
This is the only fair and honourable way to deal with the situation. Scrap the season, end it on current standings, PPG....all of these are grossly unfair to some teams. Not finishing this season will have repercussions that are moaned about for centuries just how Everton fans still moan about Hyseil preventing them playing in Europe. It will be dragged through the courts by clubs who will have lost millions from any other decision than finishing this season and they will have a very valid case as regardless of the extenuating circumstances the league will have chosen the wrong option when they could have played out the games to a natural conclusion.
We are in the minority so I guess we are wrong on balance, and I don’t think it will go this way, but I completely agree with you.

To my mind, contracts can be extended, surely, with a few guidelines for clubs to adhere to.

Complete the current season, no matter when it is that it can recommence.

I would rather complete this season, and have all the promotions, relegations, and deserved champions crowned, than fret too much about starting a Next Season on time etc.

Like I say, not saying I’m right, but as Haruki says the fall out from this season being scrapped will never be forgotten, even though it has been suspended for the biggest of reasons ... it still makes sense to me to finish the season whenever possible, reschedule the following season afterwards.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 23.36:14.