Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28th March 2020, 07.38:20   #109-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road
Twitter: @

Default Re: Decision on finishing the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrexSi View Post
We are in the minority so I guess we are wrong on balance, and I don’t think it will go this way, but I completely agree with you.

To my mind, contracts can be extended, surely, with a few guidelines for clubs to adhere to.

Complete the current season, no matter when it is that it can recommence.

I would rather complete this season, and have all the promotions, relegations, and deserved champions crowned, than fret too much about starting a Next Season on time etc.

Like I say, not saying I’m right, but as Haruki says the fall out from this season being scrapped will never be forgotten, even though it has been suspended for the biggest of reasons ... it still makes sense to me to finish the season whenever possible, reschedule the following season afterwards.
We are only in a minority on here because of Wrexham's situation. If you had the same discussion on a Barrow, Leeds or Liverpool page you would get a very different majority. Sadly many people are layered with unconscious biase and can't see the bigger picture.
Old 28th March 2020, 07.48:31   #110-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Moan Road Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruki View Post
We are only in a minority on here because of Wrexham's situation. If you had the same discussion on a Barrow, Leeds or Liverpool page you would get a very different majority. Sadly many people are layered with unconscious biase and can't see the bigger picture.
In some cases yes I guess

But the biggest blocker I keep reading from the clubs is around players contracts

It seems to be the game breaker, literally

I would just like to think it would be simpler to resolve that, and complete the fixtures, than voiding the season

Cheers mate.
Old 28th March 2020, 07.57:17   #111-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:

Voiding a season which was 75-80% of the way through on games and 85-90% of the way through in terms of time could never possibly be the right decision, morally or practically. And certainly a lot of people in the lower end of the pyramid think so. And rightly so. Apparently, this decision isn't yet a done deal as it needs to be ratified by the FA Council; you would imagine that should be a rubber stamp exercise but, with clubs kicking off and the threat of legal action from South Shields (who were almost promoted) and from Jersey Bulls and Vauxhall Motors (who were definitely promoted), there's still a chance the FA will come to their senses.

My solution FWIW would be to wait and see if the PL could complete their fixtures by 30 June playing in empty stadiums and keeping the whole squads in isolation. Personally I doubt that can happen but it's worth waiting and seeing. The FL, however, have got absolutely no chance of doing that and the pin needs to be pulled on their season and the Conference's right now. I get that the PL / FL are concerned about their TV contracts but, if HMG decide it's not a good idea they play on, then HMG need to be leaning on TV to not enforce those contracts and walk away from any money they may have "lost." After all, does TV really want to kill the golden goose for the sake of a relatively few shekels?

I'm really not keen on the idea of re-starting this season when next season should be starting. There are all sorts of practical issues, not least that it will already feel like a new season to everyone after such a long break, but also that players will have moved on and the squads won't be the same. For me at least, team A winning whatever league wouldn't really be team A any more and it would be false. Better to bring 19/20 to a sad close and hope that we can get a full 20/21 in without also compromising that season.
Old 28th March 2020, 08.06:46   #112-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot: none given

We should wait and see.Too early to make a decision yet.

However, once we get into mid June and no football played the season should be declared null and void and we start with a blank canvas in August rather than messing about with next season also.

It's the fairest way for the vast majority.A few will have their gripes and rightly so but people are dying so let's get with the program here
Old 28th March 2020, 08.33:52   #113-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: I wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back of the Kop View Post
We should wait and see.Too early to make a decision yet.

However, once we get into mid June and no football played the season should be declared null and void and we start with a blank canvas in August rather than messing about with next season also.

It's the fairest way for the vast majority. A few will have their gripes and rightly so but people are dying so let's get with the program here
The naïvity of some people is a concern. Of course we all want to carry on as if nothing has changed...but get grip!
If there is no football this season, there is no blank canvass. There will be many teams that will go to the wall. Players not paid, squads torn apart, etc etc.
Too many people on here don't yet realise the reality/severity of the situation.
To think we will be able to just carry on after huge losses of TV, sponsorship (some sponsors will go broke too) and match crowd income, is at best naïve.
I hope I will be proven wrong ….but I think some people
are in for a massive shock!
UK has a death rate 20x that of Australia, and we are talking of clubs going broke and a whole sport (Rugby League) actually folding because we can see the repercussions of a three month shutdown. This comp has a $750m TV deal and 20,000 average crowds. Players are taking 90% pay cuts in an attempt to keep it afloat. What will players at Wrexham or any other club do?
Old 28th March 2020, 08.48:41   #114-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale/Wrexham Lager Stand Centre Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy red View Post
The naïvity of some people is a concern. Of course we all want to carry on as if nothing has changed...but get grip!
If there is no football this season, there is no blank canvass. There will be many teams that will go to the wall. Players not paid, squads torn apart, etc etc.
Too many people on here don't yet realise the reality/severity of the situation.
To think we will be able to just carry on after huge losses of TV, sponsorship (some sponsors will go broke too) and match crowd income, is at best naïve.
I hope I will be proven wrong ….but I think some people
are in for a massive shock!
UK has a death rate 20x that of Australia, and we are talking of clubs going broke and a whole sport (Rugby League) actually folding because we can see the repercussions of a three month shutdown. This comp has a $750m TV deal and 20,000 average crowds. Players are taking 90% pay cuts in an attempt to keep it afloat. What will players at Wrexham or any other club do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruki View Post
Interesting to read 2 different views on what should/might happen.

The earliest the restrictions will be lifted is the middle of June. To what extent things will be relaxed, and for how long, is anyone’s guess, but the model shows that as soon as this happens there will, eventually, be another spike in CV-19 cases.

The emergency services will still be stretched, so the chances of crowds being allowed at the matches seems to be slim — even if it would lift morale. Then you have bus loads of players doing journeys across the country before those same players run around in close proximity. An ideal breeding ground for future cases.

I also think Ozzy Red sees the ‘bigger picture’ about the financial and social ramifications of what might happen. It’s true we don’t need to make the decision yet, but ‘kicking the can down the road’ will not address how football will cope and reconfigure from the enormous fall-out from CV-19.

The world has changed!
Old 28th March 2020, 09.57:24   #115-0 (permalink)
-

Racecourse Spot: none given

Don't think we will see a change in government practices to see the end of CV19 it could take many more months before we see a sign of beating this virus. It was suggested on here at the start of the outbreak it could be spring 2021 before there's a significant drop in cases to be able to start football season again. I don't think this is far off the timetable to proceed.
Old 28th March 2020, 10.21:33   #116-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Any spare seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgrounder View Post
Voiding a season which was 75-80% of the way through on games and 85-90% of the way through in terms of time could never possibly be the right decision, morally or practically. And certainly a lot of people in the lower end of the pyramid think so. And rightly so. Apparently, this decision isn't yet a done deal as it needs to be ratified by the FA Council; you would imagine that should be a rubber stamp exercise but, with clubs kicking off and the threat of legal action from South Shields (who were almost promoted) and from Jersey Bulls and Vauxhall Motors (who were definitely promoted), there's still a chance the FA will come to their senses.

My solution FWIW would be to wait and see if the PL could complete their fixtures by 30 June playing in empty stadiums and keeping the whole squads in isolation. Personally I doubt that can happen but it's worth waiting and seeing. The FL, however, have got absolutely no chance of doing that and the pin needs to be pulled on their season and the Conference's right now. I get that the PL / FL are concerned about their TV contracts but, if HMG decide it's not a good idea they play on, then HMG need to be leaning on TV to not enforce those contracts and walk away from any money they may have "lost." After all, does TV really want to kill the golden goose for the sake of a relatively few shekels?

I'm really not keen on the idea of re-starting this season when next season should be starting. There are all sorts of practical issues, not least that it will already feel like a new season to everyone after such a long break, but also that players will have moved on and the squads won't be the same. For me at least, team A winning whatever league wouldn't really be team A any more and it would be false. Better to bring 19/20 to a sad close and hope that we can get a full 20/21 in without also compromising that season.
Fully agree.
Old 28th March 2020, 11.35:28   #117-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Would expect lots of the commercial contracts will have force majoure clauses in them which void them in the event of epidemic etc.. Employment contracts on the other hand likely won’t.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 04.07:30.