Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29th March 2020, 19.18:20   #127-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Decision on finishing the season

From today’s Non League Paper

“Pressure is mounting on Non-League’s top two tiers today to decide on the future of the 2019-20 season as The Non-League Paper hits newsstands amid the escalating coronavirus crisis.

National League bosses could make their minds up within 24 hours, with an emergency board meeting called for Monday to either fall into line with the rest of Non-League from Step 3 & 4 down and terminate the season or go with the professional game and hope to resurrect it at a later date.

Throw in the growing number of furious clubs lobbying the Football Association within hours of the season being expunged from the BetVictor-sponsored Step 3 & 4 competitions down, a key FA Council meeting by video conference to ratify the controversial decision this week”

Last edited by Wiltshire_Red; 29th March 2020 at 19.20:09..
Old 29th March 2020, 19.55:51   #128-0 (permalink)
APJ
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Wrexham Lager stand

If the remaining games cannot be completed as seems quite likely now, I find the decision of Steps 3 downwards to void the whole season unfair and illogical (as well as premature) and should be overturned. I really think that we should have full promotions and relegations based on PPG as things stand. That’s unless someone can explain to me why expunging 80%+ of matches that HAVE BEEN played is a fairer outcome than ignoring 20% of matches that HAVE NOT BEEN played. Playoffs where needed can be done behind closed doors as required. I would be saying this if Wrexham were in the bottom 4 (or 3) as no team can reasonably complain about getting relegated if they are in a relegation position on PPG after 80%+ of games are complete. I accept this is not an ideal solution, but I think it is fairer than voiding a season that’s close to completion.
Old 29th March 2020, 19.59:33   #129-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
If the remaining games cannot be completed as seems quite likely now, I find the decision of Steps 3 downwards to void the whole season unfair and illogical (as well as premature) and should be overturned. I really think that we should have full promotions and relegations based on PPG as things stand. That’s unless someone can explain to me why expunging 80%+ of matches that HAVE BEEN played is a fairer outcome than ignoring 20% of matches that HAVE NOT BEEN played. Playoffs where needed can be done behind closed doors as required. I would be saying this if Wrexham were in the bottom 4 (or 3) as no team can reasonably complain about getting relegated if they are in a relegation position on PPG after 80%+ of games are complete. I accept this is not an ideal solution, but I think it is fairer than voiding a season that’s close to completion.
I agree, however I would say no playoffs and second placed team on PPG gets promoted along with champions
Old 29th March 2020, 20.07:51   #130-0 (permalink)
APJ
Squad Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiltshire_Red View Post
I agree, however I would say no playoffs and second placed team on PPG gets promoted along with champions
Wouldn't argue with that either, especially as there may of course still be restrictions in place through the summer.
Old 29th March 2020, 20.43:47   #131-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
Wouldn't argue with that either, especially as there may of course still be restrictions in place through the summer.
My firm belief and information is that no more football will be played this season - we are at the start of a very long road and 'lock down' will extend well into the summer (minimum). Player contracts will end soon - squads will be blown apart - some players will want to move on ASAP with an eye on being secured on another contract elsewhere.

So firstly, no more football of any kind - no playing behind closed doors, no play offs and no promotions / relegations - we might as well forget this season ever existed, clear the decks and start again - whenever that will be.

Arguing about the rights and wrongs, probable's and possible's based on the length of season so far played is irrelevant - it wont matter a jot in the greater scheme of things - some clubs will benefit others will suffer but that would happen in any event if all outstanding fixtures were completed - the fact is they wont be - PPG can also be disregarded - it's no fairer than any other method - some clubs could claim an easier run in than others. Scrap and void the whole season on the basis that the full league programme will never be completed.
Old 29th March 2020, 20.56:55   #132-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
My firm belief and information is that no more football will be played this season - we are at the start of a very long road and 'lock down' will extend well into the summer (minimum). Player contracts will end soon - squads will be blown apart - some players will want to move on ASAP with an eye on being secured on another contract elsewhere.

So firstly, no more football of any kind - no playing behind closed doors, no play offs and no promotions / relegations - we might as well forget this season ever existed, clear the decks and start again - whenever that will be.

Arguing about the rights and wrongs, probable's and possible's based on the length of season so far played is irrelevant - it wont matter a jot in the greater scheme of things - some clubs will benefit others will suffer but that would happen in any event if all outstanding fixtures were completed - the fact is they wont be - PPG can also be disregarded - it's no fairer than any other method - some clubs could claim an easier run in than others. Scrap and void the whole season on the basis that the full league programme will never be completed.
You could be right.

But, on the other hand, maybe not. Say this season is scrapped (which, obviously, it's looking like it will be), then say the 20/21 season has to be brought to a halt because of another cornonavirus outbreak, what happens then? Do we null and void again? That way lies disaster for professional sport as what would be the purpose.

Much better to set the right precedent now of trying to keep the wheels spinning. I'm not talking about playing on or anything daft like that, rather using PPG as the only way to bring a closure which at least maintains the semblance of some normality in terms of rewarding teams doing well and punishing those doing badly.
Old 29th March 2020, 22.28:02   #133-0 (permalink)
APJ
Squad Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post

You make some valid points Red Light and I take them on board especially on players contracts and the need to bring an early resolution to this, but I remain unconvinced on your argument against my central point.

All I’m really saying, in an imperfect and unprecedented situation, is that if you are top after 38 games you deserve to go up and if you’re in the bottom 4 after 38 games you deserve to go down, and so we can close the season based on what happened before Covid-19, not base it on what may or may not have happened after it. Voiding the season means we think that the 8 or so unplayed games that remain are more important than the 38 that have been played.

And there is a bigger point than this, think about it, if we void the whole season, are we not retrospectively assigning the virus an unnecessarily even bigger impact than it is already having?

Last edited by APJ; 29th March 2020 at 22.38:21..
Old 29th March 2020, 23.25:56   #134-0 (permalink)
-

Chief medical officer says 6 months from now before any semblance of normality returns so September at the earliest before maybe a ball is kicked which I don't think will happen because they will still want to keep big crowds from gathering even then. If they get the virus on a downward slope it could still be present in a small portion of the population and it could flare up again.and back to square one.Hopefully a vaccine can be found soon that kills this nightmare off.
Old 30th March 2020, 08.08:54   #135-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler View Post
Chief medical officer says 6 months from now before any semblance of normality returns so September at the earliest before maybe a ball is kicked which I don't think will happen because they will still want to keep big crowds from gathering even then. If they get the virus on a downward slope it could still be present in a small portion of the population and it could flare up again.and back to square one.Hopefully a vaccine can be found soon that kills this nightmare off.
You make a massive valid point - this isn't going to go away - it could and probably will flare up next winter and every winter after that.

I have read in some articles that 'the system' is attempting to push us day by day into the warmer summer months - the perception that the virus is less active at this time of year in contrast to the winter months - perhaps that is the case - you don't really hear of people getting flu in the summer do you ? Problem is this is all new and responses to it are still being formulated.
How football will fit into this in the future will have to wait - we could be in exactly the same position this time next year.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 22.47:16.