RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Players we released too early (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/115534-players-we-released-too-early.html)

Percy Sugden 27th March 2020 22.48:28

Re: Players we released too early

[QUOTE=redone;2350603]the keeper Belford[/QUOTE]

Andy coughlin, Joe Clarke, Johnny hunt.....

Armad One?

Funny_Old_Game 28th March 2020 08.29:21

We didn’t release 75% of the players mentioned on this thread.

andy buckley 28th March 2020 14.47:42

James Gray (he should still be locked up) :)

Percy Sugden 28th March 2020 16.35:41

Where is old Cough playing now?

Burton Dragon 29th March 2020 20.19:52

Chris maxwell

Who knows where we would be now if he was in goal instead of mayebi

RedArmy123 30th March 2020 12.26:03

[QUOTE=Burton Dragon;2350827]Chris maxwell

Who knows where we would be now if he was in goal instead of mayebi[/QUOTE]

I rated Mayebi. Few massive brain farts in his time with us, but for shot stopping and commanding his area he was good. Shame as he could’ve had a better career than he had

Bushfield Stand 30th March 2020 12.31:50

[QUOTE=Percy Sugden;2350664]Where is old Cough playing now?[/QUOTE]

Colwyn Bay

davewilli 30th March 2020 12.33:12

[QUOTE=RedArmy123;2350869]I rated Mayebi. Few massive brain farts in his time with us, but for shot stopping and commanding his area he was good. Shame as he could’ve had a better career than he had[/QUOTE]

I agree with this Mayebi was outstanding during the 98 point season, with the odd brain fart but as you say he made a big difference commanding his box. Unfortunately, he was never the same after tearing his achillies dealing with a dodgy back pass and to compound things he started to mess the club around with not returning from abroad on time.

Bushfield Stand 30th March 2020 12.34:40

[QUOTE=Number6;2350580]That was a truly shocking decision.

As for McEvilly, there was a very good player in that skin, unfortunately pleasure triumphed over application and down the hill he went. An example of how good he could have been was a Tuesday night game against Bury. Llewelyn and Valentine were sent off early second half and McEvilly played left back, left midfield and left wing all on his own and had a tremendous game. We were 2-0 up and the ref allowed Bury to score 2 in the 9th and 11th minutes of 5 mins stoppage time[/QUOTE]

I remember someone once said that if he could have passed a burger van as well as he passed a ball he would have been a hell of a player :)

redone 30th March 2020 17.18:24

[QUOTE=Percy Sugden;2350664]Where is old Cough playing now?[/QUOTE]

think hes got a job as an ornament now

howardrd 5th April 2020 12.00:13

For those who remember.. Bobby Shinton leaving our best ever team for Manchester City where they played him in central midfield occasionally. For a team that had just been promoted to, what is now, the Championship, heralded the beginning of our gradual demise and Shinton's even faster. What a waste.
Another great loss at that time Carl Connolly, I think he ended up at QPR only, like Shinton, to struggle.
One lesson here is that you can have great players but it is a team game and the chemistry of getting the 11 on the pitch to work together and be coached so that the system gets the best out of that unit is paramount. Under John Neal and Arfon Griffiths we had some great individual players but, more importantly we had a team that gelled. I may be showing my age but I cherish those memories!

Huffy 5th April 2020 14.33:01

[QUOTE=howardrd;2351658]For those who remember.. Bobby Shinton leaving our best ever team for Manchester City where they played him in central midfield occasionally. For a team that had just been promoted to, what is now, the Championship, heralded the beginning of our gradual demise and Shinton's even faster. What a waste.
Another great loss at that time Carl Connolly, I think he ended up at QPR only, like Shinton, to struggle.
One lesson here is that you can have great players but it is a team game and the chemistry of getting the 11 on the pitch to work together and be coached so that the system gets the best out of that unit is paramount. Under John Neal and Arfon Griffiths we had some great individual players but, more importantly we had a team that gelled. I may be showing my age but I cherish those memories![/QUOTE]

No , you have it bang on !! Bobby leaving was a real loss and thats the conundrum with having a great team, success leads to changes very often and not always for the better

andy buckley 5th April 2020 14.47:19

[QUOTE=howardrd;2351658]
Another great loss at that time Carl Connolly, I think he ended up at QPR only, like Shinton, to struggle.[/QUOTE]

Tbf Karl Connolly played 72 times for qpr over 3 seasons scoring 12 goals wouldn't say he struggled there

whead 5th April 2020 22.18:39

[QUOTE=andy buckley;2351673]Tbf Karl Connolly played 72 times for qpr over 3 seasons scoring 12 goals wouldn't say he struggled there[/QUOTE]

My QPR supporting mate told me their song for him was:
'We've got Karl Con-no-lly...
You f**k your fa-mi-ly...'

NottsRed 6th April 2020 07.55:04

[QUOTE=andy buckley;2351673]Tbf Karl Connolly played 72 times for qpr over 3 seasons scoring 12 goals wouldn't say he struggled there[/QUOTE]

He didn't do too bad not like say Curtis Obeng when he left here who just did nothing.

andy buckley 6th April 2020 13.08:14

[QUOTE=whead;2351703]My QPR supporting mate told me their song for him was:
'We've got Karl Con-no-lly...
You f**k your fa-mi-ly...'[/QUOTE]

To be honest I would be happy for him to F**k my missus such is my admiration for Karl!!!

fezbob 6th April 2020 14.33:05

Some of the suggestions on earlier pages are staggering :freak:

swanseared 6th April 2020 14.33:12

[QUOTE=Red Light;2350440]He probably had his best game for Wrexham filling in at centre half.

Just starting to get some decent form at the end of the season where he scored at York but the damage was done with too many games just passing him by probably due to his long term illness - the problem with football is it doesn't stand still and managers can't afford to hang hopes on the likes of Jordan White in the hope that over passage of time he will come good.

He is one of those players that we could ask 'what if.....?
He showed promise and might have come good but how many times have we heard that before ?[/QUOTE]

We were good to stick by him when he was ill but should have given him a chance to prove himself with a second season.

In those days we were chopping and changing players every year, presumably because we thought there was always a better player to be found. Unfortunately, it's often the case that the next player that comes in also has their faults, so they eventually get let go too. Then the manager gets the sack/moves on and the next one wants a new set of players.

And so it goes on, in a desperate search for that magic striker to score goals...

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 00.47:56.