RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Players we released too early (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/115534-players-we-released-too-early.html)

ruthinred 26th March 2020 10.30:10

Players we released too early

Bit of fun ,, could be a long list,, no time limit

Glen Little
Kevin Roberts

Robin Gibson
Blaine Hudson
Scott Boden

**contreversial. - I never thought Nicky Deverdics was that bad either:eek:

LWR 26th March 2020 10.34:19

Re: Players we released too early

[QUOTE=ruthinred;2350348]Bit of fun ,, could be a long list,, no time limit

Glen Little
Kevin Roberts

Robin Gibson
Blaine Hudson
Scott Boden

**contreversial. - I never thought Nicky Deverdics was that bad either:eek:[/QUOTE]

Its quite astounding the amount of players that we hung onto for too long. You can probably count on 1 hand the amount of players we released who went on to bigger and better things.

There was players we offered terms to who ultimately left. But thats a different matter Andy Fleming being an example.

Chris Maxwell
Jimmy McNulty.

They're the only 2 I can think of.

From your list you can certainly argue the cas for Boden. But Gibson fell down the leagues. Hudson we terrible his last season for us.

NottsRed 26th March 2020 10.44:00

Did Rooney ever get offered another contract or was his just run down due to that games played clause?

Theres been so many players used each season its difficult but id say the main one would be Quigley. Since he left us hes proved he is a good enough striker at this level given the right tactics used.

davewilli 26th March 2020 10.49:29

[QUOTE=NottsRed;2350351]Did Rooney ever get offered another contract or was his just run down due to that games played clause?

Theres been so many players used each season its difficult but id say the main one would be Quigley. Since he left us hes proved he is a good enough striker at this level given the right tactics used.[/QUOTE]

Scott Quiggley was never ours to release, when we looked to sign him he stayed at Bla kpool and chose to go to P Vale on loan, where they thought he was pants. If rumours were correct he then chose Barrow's offer of a 3 year deal over coming here.

ruthinred 26th March 2020 10.49:54

Shaun. Whaley -- released by saunders

Royal welsh red 26th March 2020 11.01:27

Not giving Lee Trundle the extra few quid he wanted to stay here was a horrendous decision.

Cenotaff 26th March 2020 11.06:32

Matty Done
Jordan White
Martin Riley
Manny Smith - The first time

Hometown Unicorn 26th March 2020 11.14:20

[QUOTE=ruthinred;2350354]Shaun. Whaley -- released by saunders[/QUOTE]

You win.

benwilliams 26th March 2020 11.21:25

I think Mark Duffy was on our books as a youngster and went in to play in at least the champ and maybe even Prem with Sheff U (not 100% sure) so definitely him.

There are players who left us despite our attempts to keep them eg Trundle Morrell Carlos but I think the OP is alluding it cases where it was our decision not to retain.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

LWR 26th March 2020 11.25:45

Duffy is a great shout.
As is Whalley

[QUOTE=Cenotaff;2350358]Matty Done
Jordan White
Martin Riley
Manny Smith - The first time[/QUOTE]

Can make a case of White.

But the other 3 were all offered contracts... I think. Not positive on Manny..

northwalian dragon 26th March 2020 11.52:18

Boden was a bizarre one, he was in top form with his partnership with Quigley and showing real promise and then suddenly Keates dropped him

Must have been something that went on behind the scenes

I definitely wouldn't put Hudson on that list!

joe 26th March 2020 12.02:30

Wes York. 10 goals a season from the wing.

Cenotaff 26th March 2020 12.05:27

[QUOTE=LWR;2350363]Duffy is a great shout.
As is Whalley

Can make a case of White.

But the other 3 were all offered contracts... I think. Not positive on Manny..[/QUOTE]

Oops, I had it in my head that Little didn't rate Done and let him go. Riley left first time around, the 2nd time he was let go after winning player of the season 16/17. He said no contract was offered.

Whalley is a stand out one though, you could tell he had something.

ruthinred 26th March 2020 12.07:44

[QUOTE=joe;2350370]Wes York. 10 goals a season from the wing.[/QUOTE]

I was going to put this one in

I liked him , but im sure we offered him something, Gateshead offered a longer contract

ruthinred 26th March 2020 12.09:27

[QUOTE=Cenotaff;2350373]Oops, I had it in my head that Little didn't rate Done and let him go. Riley left first time around, the 2nd time he was let go after winning player of the season 16/17. He said no contract was offered.

Whalley is a stand out one though, you could tell he had something.[/QUOTE]

Riley was let go by Dean Keates,, presumably to free up wages for Shaun Pearson

Seemed harsh but Keates was right I think

Wiltshire_Red 26th March 2020 12.18:18

Should have kept Obeng until the end of the 2011/12 season, and also Fowler in the same season. We should have been able to do a similar deal with Swansea as Fleetwood did with Leicester for Vardy in the same season.

cynprifathro 26th March 2020 13.13:34

Carl Tremarco, Inverness Caley Thistle, who was let go by Saunders at the same time as Shaun Whalley. Whalley is a good player albeit of questionable character at times off the field! Manny Smith, Fyfield and York, all three to Gateshead. Sam Finlay, let go by Mills!

Lods 26th March 2020 16.23:03

Elliott Durrell. A key part of the Macclesfield team that won the league. I don't think he'd do a job for us now but we released him before his peak.

krux 26th March 2020 16.28:11

[QUOTE=northwalian dragon;2350368]Boden was a bizarre one, he was in top form with his partnership with Quigley and showing real promise and then suddenly Keates dropped him

Must have been something that went on behind the scenes

I definitely wouldn't put Hudson on that list![/QUOTE]

He showed promise, but wasn't top form.

Wes York is a good shout and Whalley is a standout.

Lol at Jordan White. Cant kick the ball.

cynprifathro 26th March 2020 16.38:07

Krux: Jordan White has scored nine goals for Inverness Caley in Scottish Championship this season. Good call Lods re - Elliot Durrell! Martin Riley was rightly let go as he was too much of a liability with injuries, just like Keates was, in the latter stages of his own playing career!

Cenotaff 26th March 2020 17.00:20

Jordan White scored 7 in 24 and many of those games he was just trying to get match fit after being out for ages. Deserved a 2nd season.

krux 26th March 2020 17.07:45

[QUOTE=Cenotaff;2350416]Jordan White scored 7 in 24 and many of those games he was just trying to get match fit after being out for ages. Deserved a 2nd season.[/QUOTE]

I remember him scoring an absolute beauty with his head against Maidstone. He also kicked one in at close range v York. However the rest were all forced over the line or bundled in.

I like my strikers to be able to shoot, but perhaps 7 in 24 is fine however they are scored.

krux 26th March 2020 17.18:57

[QUOTE=cynprifathro;2350410]Krux: Jordan White has scored nine goals for Inverness Caley in Scottish Championship this season. Good call Lods re - Elliot Durrell! Martin Riley was rightly let go as he was too much of a liability with injuries, just like Keates was, in the latter stages of his own playing career![/QUOTE]

Nine in Scotland is not enough to convince me, though we can only dream of a striker hitting such a tally!

GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo 26th March 2020 18.18:04

Carlos Edwards, although during difficult circumstances.

Red Light 26th March 2020 21.10:04

[QUOTE=Cenotaff;2350416]Jordan White scored 7 in 24 and many of those games he was just trying to get match fit after being out for ages. Deserved a 2nd season.[/QUOTE]

He probably had his best game for Wrexham filling in at centre half.

Just starting to get some decent form at the end of the season where he scored at York but the damage was done with too many games just passing him by probably due to his long term illness - the problem with football is it doesn't stand still and managers can't afford to hang hopes on the likes of Jordan White in the hope that over passage of time he will come good.

He is one of those players that we could ask 'what if.....?
He showed promise and might have come good but how many times have we heard that before ?

Birdy 26th March 2020 21.50:28

Kevin Thornton

billybersham 26th March 2020 22.37:08

[QUOTE=GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo;2350429]Carlos Edwards, although during difficult circumstances.[/QUOTE]

Fans forget if Carlos had been given a contract of 12 months he would have been released because he was not up to the standard required,the next couple of seasons he was a pleasure to watch.

redavid 27th March 2020 08.09:50

[QUOTE=Birdy;2350442]Kevin Thornton[/QUOTE]

Deffo good player and Fowler , Trouble is they both had issues .

NottsRed 27th March 2020 08.17:26

[QUOTE=billybersham;2350444]Fans forget if Carlos had been given a contract of 12 months he would have been released because he was not up to the standard required,the next couple of seasons he was a pleasure to watch.[/QUOTE]

You could say the same with Dennis Lawrence. Abject when he first started but went on to be a great centre half.

Still maintain when Lawrence left us that was the moment the club demise on the pitch started. Think the next two games we got battered 5-0

Iesty 27th March 2020 08.29:27

Michael Ingham, yes he had lost his place to Antony Williams and he didnt go on to better things, but he still played another 300 odd games after leaving us and by all accounts he was a solid stopper

Lee McEvily - fell down the pecking order but i thought he was alright

Mike Williams - received a lot of criticism during his latter years with us, but was a dependable player. Ashton probably forced him out of the club though

Gareth Evans - Doug Tharme should probably read his wikipedia page

Jamie Reed - probably would have done alright for us in non league if we had stuck by him, but instead we stuck by the wonderkid Obi Anoruo instead... and that worked out alright

Danny Sonner - oh what he could have done in the conference under a bit less pressure

Mansour Assoumani - rejected a new contract but definitely up there with one of my favourite players in our non league era

Nat Brown - what happened there?! obviously a good defender, but we then farmed him out on a season long loan to Macc and then he left - homesick?

flynhater 27th March 2020 08.41:41

[QUOTE=Royal welsh red;2350357]Not giving Lee Trundle the extra few quid he wanted to stay here was a horrendous decision.[/QUOTE]

That was never an Option he wanted out and Stopped Answering his phone and that came from a then Director of the club.

ruthinred 27th March 2020 09.07:47

Iesty - some good calls

Ingham went on to be a very solid goalie for York
Jamie Reed - very competent at this level for a few seasons

I liked Mike Williams but his career nosedived after us

davewilli 27th March 2020 09.14:23

Jon Walters did well for Chester and fantastic for Stoke.

Percy Sugden 27th March 2020 09.15:32

[QUOTE=ruthinred;2350464]Iesty - some good calls

Ingham went on to be a very solid goalie for York
Jamie Reed - very competent at this level for a few seasons

I liked Mike Williams but his career nosedived after us[/QUOTE]

Ingham - at league two level wasnt good enough

Jamie Reed - league of wales standard.

The best one I’ve seen on herr is Blaine Hudson. He was another league of wales standard player. I remember watching him play his first game in a friendly at Vern druids. He was being outfoxed even in that game.

Mike Williams - reasonable footballer but not quick enough to play full back and not big enough to play centre back.... we’ve had loads of Mike Williams come through the system.

cynprifathro 27th March 2020 09.29:14

Neil Roberts by Little!

KingConnolly 27th March 2020 14.27:08

Jonathan Walters.

Not exactly released but kinda as had a better offer from Chester!!

Number6 27th March 2020 18.35:54

[QUOTE=cynprifathro;2350471]Neil Roberts by Little![/QUOTE]

That was a truly shocking decision.

As for McEvilly, there was a very good player in that skin, unfortunately pleasure triumphed over application and down the hill he went. An example of how good he could have been was a Tuesday night game against Bury. Llewelyn and Valentine were sent off early second half and McEvilly played left back, left midfield and left wing all on his own and had a tremendous game. We were 2-0 up and the ref allowed Bury to score 2 in the 9th and 11th minutes of 5 mins stoppage time

The Quiet Man 27th March 2020 20.24:14

[QUOTE=Number6;2350580]That was a truly shocking decision.

As for McEvilly, there was a very good player in that skin, unfortunately pleasure triumphed over application and down the hill he went. An example of how good he could have been was a Tuesday night game against Bury. Llewelyn and Valentine were sent off early second half and McEvilly played left back, left midfield and left wing all on his own and had a tremendous game. We were 2-0 up and the ref allowed Bury to score 2 in the 9th and 11th minutes of 5 mins stoppage time[/QUOTE]

Yes, I remember that night. McEvilly was absolutely outstanding.

krux 27th March 2020 20.33:42

Mike Williams is an interesting one. I always quite like him but he was too short to play centre back, and not really a full back.

He was a centre back in a full backs body.

redone 27th March 2020 21.39:26

the keeper Belford

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 19.09:12.