Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th April 2020, 09.04:32   #1-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Yale Centre section
Twitter: @

Default Training ground vanity project

Apologies if this has been raised before, I very rarely start threads, but I wish to know members thoughts on this. I was at the last WST meeting and an update from SH was given. It was revealed that the basic cost was going to be circa £300k but could rise if the specification was raised. Now yes we need better facilities than 9 acre but to me it seems we are prepared to pay (for us) a lot of money for quite a limited amount of space in a land locked piece of land with no room for expansion should we eventually reach the Holy Grail of the FL.
Now with what's going on our finances are going to very stretched for a good few seasons to come. We've struggled to get near promotion since we've been in this hell hole, 1 PO final and 2 close runs to outright promotion in 12yrs, and that's with extra finances such as BtB, transfer fees etc.
So my question is, why don't we scrap the vanity project and try to do a deal with FAW at Colliers Park?. After all don't our youth teams play there?.
Old 8th April 2020, 09.19:55   #2-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: MRS

Default Re: Training ground vanity project

I agree it does seem a waste considering how little the team seems to train anyway. If there is no wiggle room with FAW how about some of the uni’s facilities? They have a gym and all weather pitches etc. Could even use the racecourse when weather is decent to minimise damage to pitch.
Old 8th April 2020, 09.32:22   #3-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot:

I heard the first team are ( were ) training at Colliers Park recently. Not sure how often. Perhaps those in the know can share with us.
Old 8th April 2020, 09.33:14   #4-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale/Wrexham Lager Stand Centre Section

Previously, the FAW said we couldn't use Colliers' Parc because it was already being used by other teams/companies. It is worth asking the question again. If it's still no, then we need to find an alternative.

Most fans and the club accept that our use of 9 Acres is far from perfect, so an alternative would be better. This need is heightened because Wrexham CC want to build a new school on the land. The questioned asked is: why not redevelop the old Bromfield/Groves building, which has been derelict for many years, and has been subsequently listed after the intervention of the Welsh Assembly? I suspect it would be too costly to redevelop, especially as it is listed. Another stupid act by an incompetent Labour-led Assembly!

However, the land attached to the building is free and, presumably, has been offered at a pepper-corn rent to the club to redevelop as our new training ground. Presumably, there will be a NIMBY backlash to this proposal but, assuming that comes to nothing, what other, better, cheaper, alternative is out there which is currently available? There is sufficient space for 2 pitches and a changing facility. As a NL team, surely that is sufficient. Furthermore, if we do get back into the FL, it would still be adequate.

If the club takes up the offer -- which seems to be our best option if Colliers' Parc remains unavailable -- then the big question is how much do we spend? Which will be driven by how much we have had to reallocate from that budget to maintain our current, weekly expenditure.

I suspect we will have to do the minimum option initially, and spend more if and when our finances improve.

Fundamentally, we need a training ground; and the money previously allocated to it will now have to be spent on the playing budget for the next season, otherwise the squad will be weaker than it currently is. And looking at the current table, we cannot afford to weaken if we still want promotion.

We were in a precarious position before CV-19. Our country's reaction to the threat it poses has made a bad situation much worse unless the Board prioritize wisely.

Last edited by Prodigal Dragon; 8th April 2020 at 09.36:48..
Old 8th April 2020, 09.43:20   #5-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: none given

My guess from observing the limited activity at Nine Acre is that we train for 3 to 4 weekdays for about 1-1.5 hours each time. That’s a maximum of 6 hours per week on the grass at Nine Acre. Spending hundreds of thousands on a trading facility would therefore not be good value. Far better to hire facilities at Colliers Park or elsewhere.
Old 8th April 2020, 10.00:10   #6-0 (permalink)

Racecourse Spot: Yale,Lower tier near kop (usually)

It seems so absolutely arse backwards to have Colliers Park right there in all its new glory and we cant use it.
Old 8th April 2020, 10.07:16   #7-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: UPPER YALE STAND TOWN END

Lots of changes in the way Wrexham FC organises itself and does business are bound to change when we come out of this crisis. Cost cutting will be important for a long time and building a new training facility will surely be high on the list for scrapping. One of the few good things in this period of suspension of all sport is an absence on here of all the back stabbing of club players and officials that took place and I can only hope it will continue when the recovery starts. Or is that wishful thinking?
Old 8th April 2020, 10.09:45   #8-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Ask yourself why there was a members vote on taking on the Racecourse lease but we haven't been consulted on whether to take on the training ground.
It seems to me that we only get to vote if the board are confident we would vote for their preferred option.
Old 8th April 2020, 10.16:15   #9-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: none given

Id say they need to put any new training ground on the back burner at the moment until the Covid-19 outbreak is over and we have a clear idea of where we actually stand and which season we start back up in.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 11.34:30.