Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th April 2020, 10.54:45   #1-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand
Twitter: @

Default Spanish Flu, Corona Virus and Wrexham F.C.

A while ago I started a thread about the way we appoint managers using the quotation by George Santayana, 'Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it'. Sadly this has been proved time after time to be true.

The Spanish flu outbreak in 1918 was very similar to Corona Virus both physically and in the official government responses. It caused the death of between twenty and fifty million people worldwide.
The first wave came in the Spring of the year and was generally mild, killing the old and weak with underlying conditions. Governments were desperate to promote their economies (nothing wrong in that) but took their eye off the ball to be hit with a second highly contagious wave in the Autumn which killed millions.

I am no expert, so please accept this as a purely personal view. When we come out of lock down the social situation and chances of becoming infected are pretty much the same as when we went into it. Many supporters, especially us older ones, would be bonkers to risk being part of a big (or small) crowd at the Racecourse or anywhere else. I also believe that once the second wave takes hold we'll all be back in our homes anyway.

I think the 2019-20 season should be abandoned, obviously tough luck on some and a lucky escape for others. I have severe doubts that the 2020-21 season will stand any chance at all of starting on time and even this year.
Obviously there will be confusion and heartbreak for some clubs and their supporters, although we are all in the same boat but I'm sure we are strong enough to survive.

I accept the views by fellow posters that football is hardly important, my grand daughter is a front line staff member at the Maelor and I worry 100 times more about her. However we will eventually return to some form of normality and I want my Club to be able to accept the challenge of rebuilding and look to returning to the football league.

Red Passion has been a good friend over the last three or four weeks of isolation -thank you everyone and stay safe.
Old 19th April 2020, 11.07:16   #2-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Default Re: Spanish Flu, Corona Virus and Wrexham F.C.

I think you're right. How many clubs will still be in existence. Hope Wrexham are in a position to start the next campaign. Stay safe all.
Old 19th April 2020, 11.10:07   #3-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given

As I understand it Bill, the government believes that just 4% of the population have been infected with coronavirus, and yet we have more than 20,000 deaths including care homes, but not including those who have died at home.
Difficult to predict where all of this goes, but scaling up, potentially 500,000+ deaths (based on those figures) unless a vaccine is rolled out and administered before successive waves of the virus leads ultimately to herd immunity, although even that has been called into question, as it is not certain what level of immunity is attained.
I agree with your summary of the situation.
There are far more important things; this is a game changer.

Last edited by eastsussexred; 19th April 2020 at 11.14:01..
Old 19th April 2020, 15.47:44   #4-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Any spare seat

Start new season at Boxing Day and cram it in before Euros start would be best all round. Crowds are going to be well down unless this crap has gone or we have vaccines sorted.
Old 19th April 2020, 16.43:31   #5-0 (permalink)
-

There will be no boxing day start,no euros, and maybe 20/21 season wiped out. Some on here get a grasp of the seriousness of this decease,but some others still think it's the flu and will soon go. A big reality check is coming to us all.
Old 19th April 2020, 17.10:09   #6-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler View Post
There will be no boxing day start,no euros, and maybe 20/21 season wiped out. Some on here get a grasp of the seriousness of this decease,but some others still think it's the flu and will soon go. A big reality check is coming to us all.
Spot on - I agree with Bill completely - football ain't going to be happening - struggling to see any logic in why boxing day start is getting a mention as a start date for next season - based on what criteria ?
Football and other sport will only return when decreed safe - as Bill highlights, anyone elderly or who has a medical condition would be foolhardy to set foot in the Racecourse or any other crowd situation - widespread vaccinations are a long way off and that will be in an untested state.
The real dangers are that when lockdown restrictions are partially lifted and people start mixing again - probably a lead into another spike in infections.

Not sure what happened after the first World War in relation to football - was it being played as a full league programme at the time ?

Many musical artists have already cancelled their entire concert programmes and are rescheduling to the Autumn at earliest and in many cases next year - some still think they will be attending a Lionel Ritchie concert.

We can safely say football is in deep shit and there is no light at the end of the tunnel - however staying alive is more of concern and not putting ourselves at needless risk - unfortunately there are plenty out there who just don't get it.
There is no cure, no vaccine, no prisoners, no age target - if you get it you are reliant on your fitness, genetics and the medical profession to pull you through safely to the other side - for me the season ended weeks ago and wont resume.
Old 20th April 2020, 06.06:09   #7-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: A red seat, not a blue one

Agree with all of these posts.

I also believe this pandemic is part of Nature and nature is a really, really powerful thing, especially when it isn't being cared for properly.

Not everyone gets that, Its like looking at a microcosm and a macrocosm. The universe is marco, wrexam afc is micro...

But you can't have one without the other. Big stuff is made up of little stuff and lots of little stuff makes up the big stuff and its all important to maintain balance

I also believe in the human spirit.

This global pandemic will test our modern world to the very core of our limits, but we and football will survive.

We just need to understand that time is the greatest healer of all. Time.
Old 20th April 2020, 06.26:23   #8-0 (permalink)
"It's Only A Game!"

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Totally agree with this. I'm not realistically expecting to visit Y Cae Ras this side of Christmas.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.11:25.