Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21st April 2020, 22.24:40   #136-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot: Yale
Twitter: @

Default Re: Andy Morrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
I don't pretend to know all the facts of what happened - but who does ?

My thoughts on Morrell were and still remain - he inherited a team assembled by Saunders and continued to steer the ship in what were turning out to be decent times - for a while.
If Saunders had stuck with us things could have been quite different - that factor and allowing the departure of Obeng at a critical part of the season.
As a club we are never ever ruthless with big decisions.

Morell's downfall was twofold.

He should have hung his boots up and continued playing well beyond his shelf life - in doing so he couldn't see the bigger picture - he should have stepped back, paused and managed - not played on.

He was truly hopeless in strengthening the team and couldn't bring in players beyond the old pals act. Perhaps to be expected as a rookie manager with nobody to lean on for big advice.

A manager is judged on results - for the here and now - nothing else matters.
If he has £100 in his budget does he throw it all into one pot and try and bring in the best first team players he can entice here to achieve his ultimate goal ? or spend half of it (for example) on setting up / maintaining a CoE - reserve team and other issues which some would say 'might' bear fruit and improve us in the long term.

Problem is a football manager's tenure is not likely to reach the long term and the majority wont be planning for their ultimate successor - I would imagine others have followed a similar path - what would you do ? I think I would chuck my whole £100 on the first team knowing that if it doesn't work I'm out of a job regardless of how the reserves are doing or the CoE is performing.
Bare in mind a couple of things - he’d seen his best players sold from under him anyway (Obeng as you mention) to undermine his team as it was. The youth team had just won the league with Jonny and Brad in great form so he was banking on them coming through only for Brad to be sold anyway plus others arguably even better behind them (and before anyone says where is he now Brad suffered a severe leg break which knackered him at Wolves) and he knew his budget was going to be cut anyway so the play was accept the cut knowing he had talent coming through to use but that talent got sold off also without any effort to keep or maximise it. We literally took the first dollar thrown down rather than building value.

The cards were completely stacked against him and let’s also remember the Trust took a long time to back the appointment anyway - it was largely due to fan pressure that they agreed with Geoff to appoint Andy (RP played a big part) as it was a mutual decision in the end during DD.

Last edited by Bagger Vance; 21st April 2020 at 22.26:42..
Old 22nd April 2020, 02.47:41   #137-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: mold road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo View Post
I'd bet the budget Keates had first time round wasn't far off a few of Morrell's. Some forget how the steered the ship during a takeover, had star players get sold and despite a budget that kept getting smaller still had the club pushing for promotion.

The budget now is far bigger than Morrell's final season, he certainly is deserving of more respect and sould have us pushing for promotion no doubt.
It probably is, I doubt it has much Relevance though fella unless you factoring in %% increases in wages.. Wages have gone through the roof since Morrell’s time here.

My 2 cents is , Morrell should be proud of what he done for Wrexham, he is a top bloke, come extremely close to getting us out of this hellhole along with the points you mention above. Ohh and he would never of jumped ship like Deano.

Morrell is a one of the few modern day Wrexham legends !
Old 22nd April 2020, 07.25:38   #138-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywrex90 View Post
It probably is, I doubt it has much Relevance though fella unless you factoring in %% increases in wages.. Wages have gone through the roof since Morrell’s time here.

My 2 cents is , Morrell should be proud of what he done for Wrexham, he is a top bloke, come extremely close to getting us out of this hellhole along with the points you mention above. Ohh and he would never of jumped ship like Deano.

Very well said fella.
Old 22nd April 2020, 07.27:34   #139-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixienormous View Post
Morrell had one hell of a squad to play with, remind me who we had in that team? Danny Wright, Harris, Keates, Ashton, Creightom etc
They all suited the sytem already in place for him and you'd have to be someone like Bryan Hughes to mess that team up. He did really well when he first took over, I'd go as far as saying he actually improved the squad with regards to motivation and a more direct style of play.

Keates isn't my cup of tea at all and his style is beyond shiiite....However, I thought he did an outstanding job at rebuilding the squad post Mills, and if he'd stayed on I think he'd have finished the job off, the same with Ricketts.

Also, Morrell's tactical nightmare at Luton in the play offs still haunts me to this day.
An outstanding job? Lol you were slagging Keates off for not signing proper strikers. Have you forgotten this?
The football was dire and we weren't doing anything special. Where are you getting this from?

Last edited by Phils-an-alki; 22nd April 2020 at 07.31:56..
Old 22nd April 2020, 07.30:18   #140-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuxton_Forever red View Post
Don't stop there, give us a run down of how Morrell since leaving as well...? From everything I have heard about Ricketts, he seems like he was the best to me. You think Morrell, we don't agree, its no surprise.
Success in football isn't based on what you've heard, its based on what you've won. I'm basing it on facts, you're basing your opinion on hearsay and what you've heard.

Medals on the table, Morrell is easily the best manager we've had since Smith.
Old 22nd April 2020, 07.35:11   #141-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywrex90 View Post

Well said. People on here have short memories and don't give him the respect he has earnt and deserved.
Old 22nd April 2020, 07.36:39   #142-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruki View Post
And sadly all the hard work Morrell did in ensuring good football foundations was ruined the moment Keates closed the reserve team and ran down the COE
Sssh don't tell Dixie and King Bux. They don't deal in facts, just hearsay
Old 22nd April 2020, 07.39:24   #143-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Neals Dynasty View Post
This club of ours needs to stop looking inward

Past players as managers, past managers as managers.

For Gods sake it's a big football world outside Wrexham we need experience of success and no connection to Wrexham, but football will never be the same again from top to bottom.
Posted via mobile theme
Agreed. The Wrexham mentality isn't it?
Old 22nd April 2020, 07.56:14   #144-0 (permalink)

Racecourse Spot: Yale,Lower tier near kop (usually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils-an-alki View Post
Success in football isn't based on what you've heard, its based on what you've won. I'm basing it on facts, you're basing your opinion on hearsay and what you've heard.

Medals on the table, Morrell is easily the best manager we've had since Smith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils-an-alki View Post
Sssh don't tell Dixie and King Bux. They don't deal in facts, just hearsay
The absolute bare faced cheek of someone talking about "facts" and not basing opinion on "hearsay" from someone who created an entire thread thread saying Steve Evans was drunk stumbling about in McDonald's causing havok.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 06.02:11.