RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Don Bircham Statement RE Club Loans (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/115683-don-bircham-statement-re-club-loans.html)

Hometown Unicorn 11th May 2020 08.39:46

Don Bircham Statement RE Club Loans

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EXuQwVrXkAAPaJE?format=png&name=small[/IMG]

cynprifathro 11th May 2020 08.42:55

Re: Don Bircham Statement RE Club Loans

Vive Le Don!

Hightown Brymbo Red 11th May 2020 08.49:05

Sorry losing touch in the number of loans now...Don made 3 a d there was 3 after he left? So that makes 6?. ,All within a 12 month period and there were no financial issues? . And this is on the back of the Stoke and Wembley trips
And the football board all knew about it but not WST or its members? Sounds a bit of a private members club

wrexham forever 11th May 2020 08.49:53

Well done Don and many thanks from all Wrexham fans. Let's hope this puts this issue to bed once and for all

chef1 11th May 2020 08.50:55

So confirms them not knowing is a lie

Rob 11th May 2020 08.52:07

Don with a backhand return there, ball in the [I]"WST board members who also sat on the football club board"[/I] court ...

Still amazed all this is coming out solely because of that really odd tweet. Good news via "The Only Way Is Up" on here that "all will be revealed in due course" on that tweet and who posted it etc.

Haruki 11th May 2020 08.57:00

Don climbs back out from under that bus he was thrown under

chef1 11th May 2020 09.01:49

So we are up to 4 loans now from private individuals and they still say we don’t need outside help or investment. Only when it suits them

Wreck Sam 11th May 2020 09.02:49

We need to know now just who was sitting on both the club board and the WST board.

Hometown Unicorn 11th May 2020 09.05:10

[QUOTE=Haruki;2357896]Don climbs back out from under that bus he was thrown under[/QUOTE]

Spirit of 78 are still trying to keep him under there.

After all Don did for us it is incredibly crass of them.

Haruki 11th May 2020 09.06:14

[QUOTE=Wreck Sam;2357900]We need to know now just who was sitting on both the club board and the WST board.[/QUOTE]

Spencer Harris
John Mills
Gavin Jones
Mark Williams

Haruki 11th May 2020 09.06:49

[QUOTE=Hometown Unicorn;2357904]Spirit of 78 are still trying to keep him under there.

After all Don did for us it is incredibly crass of them.[/QUOTE]

If the cap fits

Answer Release 11th May 2020 09.10:12

[QUOTE=Hometown Unicorn;2357904]Spirit of 78 are still trying to keep him under there.

A very dangerous group of morons.

Some of the people posting on that site are the biggest threat to this club in many, many years.

Prodigal Dragon 11th May 2020 09.11:34

The club had short-term cash-flow problems, which were covered by Don.

The Board knew about them, but they weren’t circulated widely amongst all WST hierarchy.

Thanks to Don for his clarification.

Finally, was there a requirement to circulate this info widely? If there was, that is a matter for the WST members on the WAFC Board and WST Chairman to resolve. If there was no requirement, then the Board did its job thanks to Don’s largesse.

KingBuxton_Forever red 11th May 2020 09.18:51

I miss Don.

Iesty 11th May 2020 09.20:11

[QUOTE=chef1;2357899]So we are up to 4 loans now from private individuals and they still say we don’t need outside help or investment. Only when it suits them[/QUOTE]

all loans were made in the early days of the Trust ownership when cash flow was an issue and there were up front costs that we didn't have the money to cover immediately?

Wreck Sam 11th May 2020 09.24:06

Spirit of 78 has done more to divide the fanbase than any thing else.

Wreck Sam 11th May 2020 09.27:19

[QUOTE=Haruki;2357905]Spencer Harris
John Mills
Gavin Jones
Mark Williams[/QUOTE]

So these are the people that have now been proved to be economic with the truth so that they could paint the WST in a better light than what we now know ?

Funny_Old_Game 11th May 2020 09.33:35

[QUOTE=KingBuxton_Forever red;2357911]I miss Don.[/QUOTE]

Looking back he was a proper chairman in effect.

Bagger Vance 11th May 2020 09.40:17

Never forget the clearing of the pitch of snow then into the pub for chips and sausage.

Don had leadership qualities. You wanted to do things for him.

Hometown Unicorn 11th May 2020 09.42:52

[QUOTE=Bagger Vance;2357924]Never forget the clearing of the pitch of snow then into the pub for chips and sausage.

Don had leadership qualities. You wanted to do things for him.[/QUOTE]

Now, the board barely even scratch the surface of its volunteer base. Most people are not wanted and they make sure you know that.

northwalian dragon 11th May 2020 09.44:06

“ There had been one other instance prior to this”

Just last week they stated there were no other loans. WST liars.

Who knows what else has gone on

KingBuxton_Forever red 11th May 2020 09.44:27

[QUOTE=Funny_Old_Game;2357920]Looking back he was a proper chairman in effect.[/QUOTE]

Its night and day to the situation we have now.

Sure he made mistakes, but people will forgive them if everything else is handled correctly.

Rob 11th May 2020 09.55:01

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2357910]The club had short-term cash-flow problems, which were covered by Don.

The Board knew about them, but they weren’t circulated widely amongst all WST hierarchy.

Thanks to Don for his clarification.

Finally, [B]was there a requirement to circulate this info widely?[/B] If there was, that is a matter for the WST members on the WAFC Board and WST Chairman to resolve. If there was no requirement, then the Board did its job thanks to Don’s largesse.[/QUOTE]

"Requirement" or not appears to be the issue that comes up with people I have spoken to on the topic.

Bircham wanted anonymity as did the lady who did the late 2016 apparently chunky loan. There are ways to keep things anon, but note they occurred.

As I have posted a few times I don't think I can recall anyone saying we should not use cheap/free/easy cashflow loans if required rather than banks or similar.

If fans/directors/banks were not an option the 'sugar daddy' of the WST could also have been used depending how much cash was about, however that would have meant making the issue public for a vote.

A big show is made of presenting more detailed accounting information than most other clubs, and that is based off a desire to inform but probably also a point of principle around the ethos of our model.

A simple line of 'X directors loan facility was available, used and cleared inside the timeframe of these accounts, with full backing of club/trust board' would have sufficed, and I can't see anyone having a genuine beef with that.

GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo 11th May 2020 10.18:54

How long will Pete Jones keep going until resigning?

They need to be careful over on Spirit of 78, don't go upsetting a sponsor of the club and somebody who's been very generous over the years.

Sponsors will be looking to cut costs and sponsorship of Wrexham AFC will be one of the first things to go. Especially a club surrounded with such negativity.

Wreck Sam 11th May 2020 10.31:25

Could possibly Don be the leader that we need now ? I don't know the guy but what are the thoughts of trying to get someone like him back to reverse the decline ?

Answer Release 11th May 2020 11.05:16

[QUOTE=Funny_Old_Game;2357920]Looking back he was a proper chairman in effect.[/QUOTE]

Don has minimal football experience which shoots down a few peoples arguments but was certainly an experienced businessman and one who commanded respect.

Lets look at Spencer for example, no football experience, not a businessman in any form and certainly doesn't command respect. I cringe every time he opens his mouth!

I was one of the people clearing the snow off the pitch, would I volunteer in any form now? Absolutely not.

Answer Release 11th May 2020 11.06:29

[QUOTE=Wreck Sam;2357937]Could possibly Don be the leader that we need now ? I don't know the guy but what are the thoughts of trying to get someone like him back to reverse the decline ?[/QUOTE]

From what I'm told, he wouldn't work with some of the faces again even if he wanted to get back involved.

northwalian dragon 11th May 2020 11.14:39

[QUOTE=Answer Release;2357948]Don has minimal football experience which shoots down a few peoples arguments but was certainly an experienced businessman and one who commanded respect.

Lets look at Spencer for example, no football experience, not a businessman in any form and certainly doesn't command respect. I cringe every time he opens his mouth!

I was one of the people clearing the snow off the pitch, would I volunteer in any form now? Absolutely not.[/QUOTE]

Yes he does have minimal football experience but was he arrogant enough to claim he had all the skills necessary?

He brought Barry Horne onto the board, probably the most qualified person we could have got

No ego with Don

LWR 11th May 2020 11.19:21

[QUOTE=Answer Release;2357949]From what I'm told, he wouldn't work with some of the faces again even if he wanted to get back involved.[/QUOTE]

That would please everyone then?

louisleftboot 11th May 2020 11.37:53

Don did get slated on here for things like the 'warchest' comment. Let's not all pretend he was universally loved. I think we would all have in back now though.

-luke 11th May 2020 11.57:55

What year did we have the olly murs and UB40 concerts? Anyone got any idea what sort of revenue these generated and how that money got spent

WrexhamO 11th May 2020 12.44:13

The club board hid these loans from the WST Board - the reason we put a majority of the club board as WST board members was so as the WST were fully up to speed with events at the club. There was no reason that this should have been hidden from the main board.

That is the crux of the issue for me.

That is the failure here.

Now compounded by Saturday's statement denying all knowledge and claiming to have missed it.

Funny_Old_Game 11th May 2020 12.58:39

[QUOTE=louisleftboot;2357960]Don did get slated on here for things like the 'warchest' comment. Let's not all pretend he was universally loved. I think we would all have in back now though.[/QUOTE]

Defo, he was criticised loads. He also had a huge ego, no doubt about it. Always used to make out like he was the worlds toughest negotiator etc.

-luke 11th May 2020 13.09:26

[QUOTE=Funny_Old_Game;2357995]Defo, he was criticised loads. He also had a huge ego, no doubt about it. Always used to make out like he was the worlds toughest negotiator etc.[/QUOTE]

I don't know that many company ceo's who aren't a bit of a helmet at times though. Aggressive / Alpha personalities and all that. Probably best to judge on their achievements. Spencer on the other hand has achieved the biggest divide in 2 decades between fans. He has stepped up the numbers in the recruitment department however

Redordead 11th May 2020 14.16:01

Are we forgetting the Mills era?

Hometown Unicorn 11th May 2020 14.20:44

[QUOTE=Redordead;2358018]Are we forgetting the Mills era?[/QUOTE]

It is my understanding that Barry Horne knew about Mills's issues before we hired him and tried to warn the board.

GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo 11th May 2020 14.26:13

[QUOTE=Hometown Unicorn;2358021]It is my understanding that Barry Horne knew about Mills's issues before we hired him and tried to warn the board.[/QUOTE]

A small number of us did, Mills was only only ever a popularity competition type signing. Plus, 'getting one over the Tramps', all common sense went out the window and I'm sure you can guess who were giddy about getting one over them.

cardiffred 11th May 2020 14.27:09

[QUOTE=Answer Release;2357948]Don has minimal football experience which shoots down a few peoples arguments but was certainly an experienced businessman and one who commanded respect.

I was one of the people clearing the snow off the pitch, would I volunteer in any form now? Absolutely not.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has faults. Including Don. What he was good at, as a figurehead particularly, was making people follow.

dixienormous 11th May 2020 14.49:20

Don should be here as chairman. I wonder what he'd say if asked?

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.20:14.