Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18th May 2020, 11.40:36   #19-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road Stand
Twitter: @

Default Re: Radical new plans to merge League two and the National League.

I'd love for this to happen.
Old 18th May 2020, 12.01:02   #20-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWR View Post
Logistically it makes an awful lot of sense. But you're right the 2 governing bodies are issue.

For continuity across the board if it was to go ahead I would expect League 1 and League 2 to merge.

And then maybe even rejig the whole non league pyramid so everything is regionalised rather than only the national league that is not.

It would certainly help from a finicial point of view.
I guess the downside then is there only being 1 team from each regional league going up from non-league, unless the football league elected to send 4 teams down.
Old 18th May 2020, 12.07:15   #21-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: In the Yale Paddock front row

No way would teams near the top of league 1 accept regional football and only 1 promotion spot, Peterborough, Ipswich and a half dozen others are threatening legal action even now if they don't get their chance to finish the season with promotion through the playoffs their big chance.
League 2 and the National league makes so much more sense then regional football would exist at 2 levels with the conference north and south feeding the new divisions
Old 18th May 2020, 12.16:18   #22-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: mold road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixienormous View Post
It will probably never happen, but post covid19 it would make financial sense.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/radical-plan...tional-league/
It is a 'fans banter site' it quotes according to sources It does not reference who or where the said 'sources' are.
I agree that something should be done but I doubt that the EFL clubs will want to water the league down by admitting another 24 clubs into the league. The EFL had to be bribed with financial sweeteners just to allow an extra club up from the Conference via playoffs a few years back.
Another consideration would be the central payments. There would be 24 new clubs to give money to plus 2 extra parachute payments. I believe clubs in L2 get around 500k a season so that would be;

500k x 24 teams = £12m = parachute payments =£13m per season. There is talk of cutting the central payments due to the Covid 19 situation so where would the extra £13m per year season?
I really doubt the clubs already playing at L2 level would fancy spreading their money out between 48 clubs instead of 24.
Much more likely that Leagues 1 and 2 will merge then split into North and South. Even then the League one clubs will be up in arms because they get more than the League 2 clubs so how would they address this?.
It is more likely that the National league will be regionalised North and South because there is no central payments to worry about and thus less falling out over it.
Old 18th May 2020, 12.22:05   #23-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn View Post
I guess the downside then is there only being 1 team from each regional league going up from non-league, unless the football league elected to send 4 teams down.
Surely IF the EFL made a League 2 N/S then it would be the Champions up and one other from each section via playoffs? This would apply at a Split National league N/S ie; Champs go up plus one play off?
Old 18th May 2020, 12.24:16   #24-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Cold Road Stand

Northern Clubs

Wrexham, Chesterfield, AFC Fylde, Chorley, Barrow, Harrogate, FC Halifax, Stockport, Hartlepool,
Notts County. Solihull,

Southern Clubs
Dover, Maidenhead, Dag & Red, Aldershot, Eastleigh, Torquay, Sutton. Bromley,
Barnet, Woking, Boreham Wood, Yeovil, Ebbsfleet.

We could save a bit of money there.

League 2

Crewe, Bradford City, Salford, Grimsby, Carlisle, Oldham, Macclesfield, Morecambe,

Northampton, Port Vale, Walsall, Mansfield, Scunthorpe,

Swindon, Plymouth, Exeter, Colchester, Cheltenham, Forrest Green. Crawley, Newport, Cambridge, Orient, Stevenage.

I think some of the might be borderline North or South.

Last edited by dagg; 18th May 2020 at 12.32:23..
Old 18th May 2020, 12.36:48   #25-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry8 View Post
Surely IF the EFL made a League 2 N/S then it would be the Champions up and one other from each section via playoffs? This would apply at a Split National league N/S ie; Champs go up plus one play off?
The point I am making is that the EFL would be losing 4 teams each year rather than the current 2. Keep up.
Old 18th May 2020, 12.45:22   #26-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagg View Post
Northern Clubs

Wrexham, Chesterfield, AFC Fylde, Chorley, Barrow, Harrogate, FC Halifax, Stockport, Hartlepool,
Notts County. Solihull,

Southern Clubs
Dover, Maidenhead, Dag & Red, Aldershot, Eastleigh, Torquay, Sutton. Bromley,
Barnet, Woking, Boreham Wood, Yeovil, Ebbsfleet.

We could save a bit of money there.

League 2

Crewe, Bradford City, Salford, Grimsby, Carlisle, Oldham, Macclesfield, Morecambe,

Northampton, Port Vale, Walsall, Mansfield, Ssilly billyhorpe,

Swindon, Plymouth, Exeter, Colchester, Cheltenham, Forrest Green. Crawley, Newport, Cambridge, Orient, Stevenage.

I think some of the might be borderline North or South.
I could see it changing to how you've put it especially with the national league predicted to start in January. Half the teams for half the season, only one champion
Old 18th May 2020, 12.45:24   #27-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn View Post
The point I am making is that the EFL would be losing 4 teams each year rather than the current 2. Keep up.
They would be gaining 24 non league clubs. Under a new setup provision would have to be made to account for this. If you consider each League 1 (N/S) would be it's own entity (separate from eachother) then they would in theory still only losing 2 teams each division each year.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 09.29:43.