Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23rd June 2020, 18.29:52   #28-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop
Twitter: @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
Lots of issues here.

People continue to talk about a 'next season' - will there actually be one ? probably but not necessarily commencing next season in the traditional sense.

Player budget - how can a club (not just us) contemplate bringing in players on either fees and wages when we have no real income and don't even have a date when income can commence ?
No season ticket sales to get the club through summer, no early bird option - and my prediction is that even when they commence there will be a shocking drop in numbers compared to previous years - partly through dissalusionment but partly because many supporters especially the elderly and for health fears wont set foot in the stadium - a play it safe approach.

As for putting a squad together my prediction is that clubs will play the ultra cautious card and cut back on numbers dramatically. What is the point in building a large squad of better quality players on high wages when we have no prospect of a resumption date.

And I hate to say it but I will anyway - today Boris Johnson is easing restrictions based on the number of deaths and infections dropping - but the virus hasn't gone away and wont until the masses are vaccinated - the chance of another spike are high especially as we approach winter - with many people spending much time outdoor in the fine weather and long daylight hours what will happen in December when we are all couped up together ?

What are the chances of another season starting and even being completed ?
Personally I don't see any change in the situation other than infections have currently dropped in numbers - for now. Like many things in life people will become complacent and forget - human nature kicks in and bang - we could be back to an even more catastrophic 'square one'. A balance has to be struck to keep the economy going and to safeguard jobs - assembling a football squad of quality at Wrexham is a bit of a pipedream.

Similar to gyms, leisure facilities, sporting arena's and football clubs - the Government will need to make their case before anything realistic can happen - though have a feeling sport and leisure will be last on the pecking order.

RL your post is similar to mine but Phil reckons we have been conned by hype.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 23rd June 2020, 18.42:45   #29-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given

Default Re: Your ideal squad next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Outdoor sport events will not be last in the pecking order - anything outdoors is low risk. Thousands of people gathering inside town and city centre pubs are much more of a risk.
Yes I agree - to a certain extent - in the Premier League with no spectators in attendance and money coming in from TV and other streams but what will happen at our level ?

Not sure I can see the game being financially viable at National League level unless spectators are admitted - ques at turnstiles, sitting arrangements, using the bog and refreshment kiosks with numerous cross over points on stairways etc - solutions will have to found.

Team overnight stays for away games at the likes of Dover and Eastleigh - how will they happen ? travel same day cramped together on one coach - cost and health implications whichever way we turn. Not forgetting that once a player or two tests positive again will impact massively on self isolation and likely fixture postponements.
Old 23rd June 2020, 18.52:23   #30-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

The Polish keeper cannot be kept on, abysmal. I wouldn't offer Lawlor a deal either, Kennedy is better.
Old 23rd June 2020, 20.00:34   #31-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrophenia View Post
The Polish keeper cannot be kept on, abysmal. I wouldn't offer Lawlor a deal either, Kennedy is better.
The Polish keeper was playing for Airbus UK in the Welsh Premier League prior to coming to us - third in the pecking order, young and no doubt cheap to retain.

Again, the likelihood is a massive financial squeeze is looming - can we afford to retain 3 keepers and is there a need ? - always dip into the loan market if the first two become unavailable - there will no doubt be a vast choice out there.

The only keeper I personally would retain is Lainton.
Old 23rd June 2020, 21.46:59   #32-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Quote:
The Polish keeper was playing for Airbus UK in the Welsh Premier League prior to coming to us - third in the pecking order, young and no doubt cheap to retain.

Again, the likelihood is a massive financial squeeze is looming - can we afford to retain 3 keepers and is there a need ? - always dip into the loan market if the first two become unavailable - there will no doubt be a vast choice out there.

He was playing lower than that in the Cymru Alliance.
Old 23rd June 2020, 21.48:49   #33-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Quote:

That just shows how lowly we are. Dibble isn't good enough either. I agree, keep Lainton, and get a loan in when needed.
Old 24th June 2020, 00.33:53   #34-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NottsRed View Post
If James Horsfield is fit after that knee injury would look at getting him back in.

Was it Rose who when we played at Notts County absolutely run our midfield ragged (not difficult). Looked real good at getting the ball and moving it forward.
Yes Rose...everything went through him and he was constantly runnng into spaces , taking it forward or moving it to the left where they had another good player causing problems..Best player on the pitch that day.

I'm also struggling to see how anyone is offering contracts to players...Effiong has gone to Stevenage today...I think we will be very much loanees if we start a season..
Old 24th June 2020, 05.50:38   #35-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by red under the bed View Post
Yes Rose...everything went through him and he was constantly runnng into spaces , taking it forward or moving it to the left where they had another good player causing problems..Best player on the pitch that day.

I'm also struggling to see how anyone is offering contracts to players...Effiong has gone to Stevenage today...I think we will be very much loanees if we start a season..

A case of bargain basement signings from the 'spares and repair' tin.

I can see the return of Ollie Kearns and Arfon Griffiths looming on the horizon.
Old 24th June 2020, 07.39:23   #36-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: GUS now.

Quote:
Lots of issues here.

People continue to talk about a 'next season' - will there actually be one ? probably but not necessarily commencing next season in the traditional sense.

Player budget - how can a club (not just us) contemplate bringing in players on either fees and wages when we have no real income and don't even have a date when income can commence ?
No season ticket sales to get the club through summer, no early bird option - and my prediction is that even when they commence there will be a shocking drop in numbers compared to previous years - partly through dissalusionment but partly because many supporters especially the elderly and for health fears wont set foot in the stadium - a play it safe approach.

As for putting a squad together my prediction is that clubs will play the ultra cautious card and cut back on numbers dramatically. What is the point in building a large squad of better quality players on high wages when we have no prospect of a resumption date.

And I hate to say it but I will anyway - today Boris Johnson is easing restrictions based on the number of deaths and infections dropping - but the virus hasn't gone away and wont until the masses are vaccinated - the chance of another spike are high especially as we approach winter - with many people spending much time outdoor in the fine weather and long daylight hours what will happen in December when we are all couped up together ?

What are the chances of another season starting and even being completed ?
Personally I don't see any change in the situation other than infections have currently dropped in numbers - for now. Like many things in life people will become complacent and forget - human nature kicks in and bang - we could be back to an even more catastrophic 'square one'. A balance has to be struck to keep the economy going and to safeguard jobs - assembling a football squad of quality at Wrexham is a bit of a pipedream.

Similar to gyms, leisure facilities, sporting arena's and football clubs - the Government will need to make their case before anything realistic can happen - though have a feeling sport and leisure will be last on the pecking order.
This , IMO, is an excellent post. I was talking the other day about fans attending ganes and the sale of on line tickets only may be an option. Tickets with designated seats situated minimum 2 or 3 apart. Still leaves the logistical nightmare of ,as you say, toilets,snack bar etc . Its certainly a challenge. BTW, I do think this hospitality return is far too soon. Convinced they are making it up as they go along.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 22.48:21.