Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26th June 2020, 08.17:59   #19-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Win percentages for Wrexham's non league managers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuxton_Forever red View Post
Any good salesman will tell you, you can manipulate stats any which way you want to fit your narrative. That's why things like this are a little misleading, they don't take into consideration the circumstances.

People bang on about Morrell, but the facts are he had a team of very good players who were already playing well. He just had to keep it ticking along. As a general rule of thumb the better players win more games.

'Just had to keep it ticking along'. Sounds almost disrespectful.

Don't try and downplay what Morrell did. You wrote that as if its easy. Ask Bryan Hughes how easy it is just to keep things ticking along and then challenge again the next season.

The reason people bang on, as you put it, about Morrell is because he's the only manager since being in non league to actually achieve something here.

Keates isn't fit to lace his boots.

You seem to have forgotten the team Hughes and then Keates inherited, the majority of the squad were challenging for the league under Ricketts.

Lets not try and rewrite history trying to make out Keates inherited a poor squad. After Hughes was sacked a good manager could have turned our season around. Unfortunately we got Keates who made us worse and we sank even lower.
Old 26th June 2020, 09.02:49   #20-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info)

Racecourse Spot: mold road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils-an-alki View Post
[/B]

Don't try and downplay what Morrell did. You wrote that as if its easy. Ask Bryan Hughes how easy it is just to keep things ticking along and then challenge again the next season.

The reason people bang on, as you put it, about Morrell is because he's the only manager since being in non league to actually achieve something here.

You seem to have forgotten the team Hughes and then Keates inherited, the majority of the squad were challenging for the league under Ricketts.

Lets not try and rewrite history trying to make out Keates inherited a poor squad. After Hughes was sacked a good manager could have turned our season around. Unfortunately we got Keates who made us worse and we sank even lower.
Time will tell, if the board resist changing managers too quickly once again. I would hazard a bet we'll be much closer to top 7 than bottom 7, once Keates puts his own squad together and given the resources we will be challenging for promotion.

Keates didn't inherit a squad that resembled the squad Rickett's squad that were in a play off position, the forward line had completely changed; no Roberts, no Walker; Chambers, JBB, McIntosh and Barton not good enough; Summerfield, Wright and Hooper long term injuries; Carra, Jennings and a less degree Pearson niggling injuries and missing games. So big changes were needed otherwise that squad was more than likely going to get relegated.

Keates wasn't my choice to return, so not sure why I'm arguing against the haters, but now he is here it would be folly to change manager again, and subsequently some players and targets with a new manager, (wasting more money we haven't got) let alone during an extended period of no football.
Old 26th June 2020, 09.16:17   #21-0 (permalink)

Racecourse Spot: Yale,Lower tier near kop (usually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils-an-alki View Post
[/B]

I don't care how it sounds. Those are the facts, Morrell inherited THE best team we have had since we have been in division. The side Hughes inherited was nowhere near.

You can refer to Keates as many times as you like. I cant be arsed debating him on here as most have made their mind up on him, that's why I purposely did not make reference to him. His win percentage is crap, and he may be the worst person on planet earth, but I wouldn't beat him over the head with the win percentage.

I stand by my original point, win percentages aren't the be all and end all. Stats like that ignore mitigating circumstances, and you can manipulate them any which way you want. As I said.
Old 26th June 2020, 09.25:21   #22-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilli View Post
Time will tell, if the board resist changing managers too quickly once again. I would hazard a bet we'll be much closer to top 7 than bottom 7, once Keates puts his own squad together and given the resources we will be challenging for promotion.

Keates didn't inherit a squad that resembled the squad Rickett's squad that were in a play off position, the forward line had completely changed; no Roberts, no Walker; Chambers, JBB, McIntosh and Barton not good enough; Summerfield, Wright and Hooper long term injuries; Carra, Jennings and a less degree Pearson niggling injuries and missing games. So big changes were needed otherwise that squad was more than likely going to get relegated.

Keates wasn't my choice to return, so not sure why I'm arguing against the haters, but now he is here it would be folly to change manager again, and subsequently some players and targets with a new manager, (wasting more money we haven't got) let alone during an extended period of no football.
Keates took over from Hughes and the team got worse, fact. He took us to the bottom of the league. Your guess is based on hope and not much else.

Personally I want what's best for the club and will not blindly defend anything and everything the club does, or champion sticking with a manager for the sake of it and 'stability', which is the basis of your argument even though its flawed.

Ironic you should mention wasting more money. I'll refer you back to the disaster signings in Keates first spell in January.

The sooner Keates is gone the better.

Labelling people who think Keates is shite and can justify it as 'haters' is lame but not unexpected. If we're going down that road then I'd say that anyone who wants nothing but the best manager this club can get has been brainwashed and consumed by apathy and I'd question where their loyalties lie. Don't settle for mediocre. I know the WST does and so does the club board but its up to fans to force them to change their ways or move on.
You'd be here still defending Keates as we battle a relegation fight in the Conf North. Sometime blind support isn't heroic its just daft.
Old 26th June 2020, 09.36:50   #23-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuxton_Forever red View Post
I don't care how it sounds. Those are the facts, Morrell inherited THE best team we have had since we have been in division. The side Hughes inherited was nowhere near.

You can refer to Keates as many times as you like. I cant be arsed debating him on here as most have made their mind up on him, that's why I purposely did not make reference to him. His win percentage is crap, and he may be the worst person on planet earth, but I wouldn't beat him over the head with the win percentage.

I stand by my original point, win percentages aren't the be all and end all. Stats like that ignore mitigating circumstances, and you can manipulate them any which way you want. As I said.
Win percentages are also facts.
Not sure why some find it so hard to give Morrell credit for what he did. Its bizarre, it really is.
Hughes failed to do what he did, so did Barrow. And then so did Keates. Keates task was different but that's his job, to turn the team around. Spencer even mentioned play offs. He's failed miserably and therefore should be sacked. This club is way better than appointing a no hoper like him. That's why it annoys the F out of fans.

A good manager will put out a side that performs beyond expectations and ability. Denis Smith did it. Ricketts did it. Morrell even did when we won the FAT and got to a play off final. We never had the leagues biggest budget, even under Saunders.
Keates did the opposite, there was no new manager bounce, no spark, the team just went backwards.

When people say they can't be arsed debating something its because they can't and know where it'll lead. No offence.
Old 26th June 2020, 09.45:47   #24-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:

This is why I am so upset with the club. The apathy in opinions like this is incredible.
Old 26th June 2020, 09.52:33   #25-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Personally thought the board jumped to get rid of Hughes too soon.
The football was more attractive, we scored goals and the team was developing.
The trust board sacked Hughes before the Fylde game but I don't think he knew.
We played well at Fylde and but for our "Keeper" would have won.
Hughes didn't do himself any favours by not accepting additional help added to some poor recruitment, particularly Barnum Bob.
Second mistake the FC board made was appointing Keates rather than leaving Flynn in charge. Flynn had the experience, could see potential and would take no sh!t. (unlike the Barrow debacle)
Old 26th June 2020, 09.55:08   #26-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redinsaudi View Post
This is why I am so upset with the club. The apathy in opinions like this is incredible.
Why be upset with the club, it's a fans optimistic view. Maybe overoptimistic but still valid. Certainly not apathetic (or he wouldn't have posted)
Old 26th June 2020, 10.19:56   #27-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

Quote:

The board resist changing managers to soon, you're supporting Keates who when given the job we were told it was a 3 year project to get promotion, he was given a big budget supplemented with the begging bowls of build the budget.

3 years, first chance of jumping overboard after spending the fan money from BTB was disrespectful to the fans and the club for giving him his chance in management.

So bringing him back was also disrespectful to the fans.

Get rid
Posted via mobile theme

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 13.41:36.