Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th October 2020, 21.16:28   #1-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Started in MR then The Boys pen and a graduate of The Kop
Twitter: @

Default Alan Jarvis

This came up on my Google feed earlier. Apologies if it has been posted before.

A former Wales international footballer died from dementia linked to repeatedly heading the ball, a inquest has heard.

Alan Jarvis played for Everton and Hull City in the 1960s and 1970s, winning three caps for his country.

The 76-year-old, who had dementia, died at a nursing home in Mold, Flintshire, in December.

On Thursday coroner John Gittins concluded former midfielder Mr Jarvis died from Alzheimer's "caused by his occupation".

Alan was a couple of years ahead of me in Grove Park and had us enthralled with his stories of Liverpool nightlife when he was on Evertons books as a youngster..
Old 15th October 2020, 21.49:11   #2-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Default Re: Alan Jarvis

Alans dad was a teacher at Victoria School and ran the school football team.
Old 15th October 2020, 22.57:28   #3-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Main stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddy Dragon View Post
This came up on my Google feed earlier. Apologies if it has been posted before.

A former Wales international footballer died from dementia linked to repeatedly heading the ball ...

On Thursday coroner John Gittins concluded former midfielder Mr Jarvis died from Alzheimer's "caused by his occupation"..
Very sad to hear of this.
This is not uncommon and quite well known. There also appear to be link between rugby/football players and motor neurone disease which is just, if not more, devastating.
Old 15th October 2020, 23.21:07   #4-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given

Jeff Astle a centre forward with West Brom & England was another - his demise was well documented around the time.

Any of us older followers will recall how much footballs have changed since our younger days - I recall playing for my junior school in the winter when the lace up heavy duty leather cased balls got very wet and increased in weight - they were hard enough to kick never mind head. Later playing centre half and repeatedly being the one to stick your head on a ball that was launched into orbit by the opposition goalkeeper was never a pleasure - used to often think the same about Mark Creighton who you would describe as a 'solid' header of the ball.

Suppose similar could be said about boxing - taking blows to the head over a prolonged period of any kind isn't going to help - perhaps this issue was prevalant in earlier decades but only recently is it becoming more understood.

I followed Everton as a kid in the late 60's / 70' when they had a fantastic team under the leadership of Harry Catrick and the pools tycoon John Moores - I don't recall Alan Jarvis so his appearance record would be interesting to see. Out of interest too, what position did he play ? as players in the centre back / centre forward roles seem more likely to suffer due to the more frequent times they head the ball in their positions.
Old 16th October 2020, 05.42:27   #5-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: MRS

RIP Alan Fox. One of the heroes of my teenage years in the 1950s. He was really one of the great centre halfs (or halves?) of those days in the Div 3 North. He was not built like Beowulf, but he was incredibly effective at stopping onrushing opposition forwards. 100% dependable.
He is gone much too early. Condolences to his family.
Old 16th October 2020, 07.13:24   #6-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Alan Leslie Jarvis
Born 04 August 1943 in Wrexham - died in Mold 15 December 2019.

Playing career
Between 1963 - 64 was on the books of Everton but never made an appearance for them.
1964 - 1970 Hull City 153 appearances.
1970 - 1973 Mansfield Town 12 appearances.

Also played for Wales 3 times between 1966 - 67 season.

His brain was donated for medical research after which the coroner concluded there was a link between his death / medical issues and heading a football (which was classed as an industrial disease).
Old 16th October 2020, 07.40:20   #7-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazes View Post
RIP Alan Fox. One of the heroes of my teenage years in the 1950s. He was really one of the great centre halfs (or halves?) of those days in the Div 3 North. He was not built like Beowulf, but he was incredibly effective at stopping onrushing opposition forwards. 100% dependable.
He is gone much too early. Condolences to his family.
When did this happen? Not heard this as yet
Old 16th October 2020, 08.13:51   #8-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno View Post
When did this happen? Not heard this as yet
Very sorry...that was a mindless mistake on my part.....read the name too quickly... Thought it was Alan Fox.

However, I did play against Alan Jarvis, when I was at Llangollen Grammar School and he at Grove Park. I recall, with embarrassment to this day, how he beat me with the slightest swivel of his hip and was past me in a flash.

RIP, Alan
Old 16th October 2020, 08.24:36   #9-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

I once bought a Volkswagon Beetle off him for my sister. He seemed a really decent chap.
RIP Alan.

Last edited by BillEBadass; 16th October 2020 at 08.26:08..

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 19.38:15.