Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20th November 2020, 16.57:28   #121-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Racecourse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iesty View Post
pretty sure their actual statement in the WST resolutions pack was that they would not move the club any more than 2 miles from the current ground
The statement I posted was the actual statement made by R&R. The statement you refer to is the conditions required by WST which needs to be agreed by anyone who wishes to take over ownership of the club.
Old 20th November 2020, 18.07:10   #122-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrexy View Post
Quite a few people I know in London used to have season tickets at Fulham just to watch the other Premiership teams come to play. They have near zero interest in Fulham aside from sinking a few pre-game pints in the pubs alongside the river.

This is quite common amongst the international community in London who have no real allegiances to a UK team.
Total aside but I love Fulham's ground. The history of it, the atmosphere. a proper ground which is a million miles better than some of the more recent flatpack efforts.

I'd love us to redevelop The Racecourse and to retain that sort of character too.
Old 20th November 2020, 18.09:40   #123-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: none given

Brentford’s new 17,500 stadium cost £71m.

York City’s 8,000 capacity stadium cost £44m according to Wikipedia.

Something similar to what Blackpool have done would be good barring the temporary stand
Old 20th November 2020, 18.50:00   #124-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oswestryred View Post
Our hallowed ground reminds me of the sketch with Trigger and his Broom, is there any part left that's original (except the Turf obvs)?
'Hollowed ground' are the key words here oswestryred.
I believe that 'The Turf' was built during the second period of renovation of the course, sometime between 1795 and 1819.
Certainly, The Turf was already built and recorded on maps and in local archives by 1819, and the new course was definitely being advertised in the Chester newspapers by 1800, but there is a possibility that the course itself was set out and the Wrexham Races were taking place at Y Cae Ras in the 1630's. That gives us 'at least' 220 years of sporting heritage and possibly 380+ years.
The course, The Turf and the history/heritage of the town and club itself are pretty much inseparable imo.

Last edited by eastsussex; 20th November 2020 at 18.53:47..
Old 20th November 2020, 18.55:56   #125-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussex View Post
I believe that 'The Turf' was built during the second period of renovation of the course, sometime between 1795 and 1819.
Certainly, The Turf was already built and recorded on maps and in local archives by 1819, and the new course was definitely being advertised in the Chester newspapers by 1800, but there is a possibility that the course itself was set out and the Wrexham Races were taking place at Y Cae Ras in the 1630's. That gives us 'at least' 220 years of sporting heritage and possibly 380+ years.
The course, The Turf and the history/heritage of the town and club itself are pretty much inseparable imo.
Absolutely love reading your posts on our heritage eastsussex - absolutely magnificent! Club historian role owner without a shadow!!
Old 20th November 2020, 19.11:36   #126-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Centre Yale Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussex View Post
Interesting as could pre date both USA and Canada.
Old 20th November 2020, 19.40:13   #127-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Behind You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton Red View Post
Absolutely love reading your posts on our heritage eastsussex - absolutely magnificent! Club historian role owner without a shadow!!
I’m still waiting for ES to appear on Mastermind!
Old 21st November 2020, 09.51:26   #128-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Not Set Click To Change

Racecourse Spot: Yale

After reading the Wrexham.com article about LDP2 and its lack of support from councillors and the establishing inspectorate, is it a good idea to lobby about getting the racecourse included again?

I don't think it was included in ldp2.
Old 21st November 2020, 09.57:36   #129-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWelshWayne View Post
After reading the Wrexham.com article about LDP2 and its lack of support from councillors and the establishing inspectorate, is it a good idea to lobby about getting the racecourse included again?

I don't think it was included in ldp2.
Good idea.
The original petition did make some headway but the council still didn't designate the course as a protected site as far as I'm aware.
Old 21st November 2020, 13.49:17   #130-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Behind You.

Once again the club is the only thing that puts this town on the map. The council owes the club big time for its ‘soft power’ projection across many media outlets.
The only reason people have heard of this place is from the football & not anything culturally the council have ever achieved.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 10.18:35.