RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Racecourse (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/116606-racecourse.html)

Colonel D 18th November 2020 11.22:30

Racecourse

To make the stadium our new owners crave would we just build on the Kop or rebuild others sections of the ground too ?
Perhaps we may start from scratch with a purpose built new stadium ?

dragonspark 18th November 2020 11.26:52

Re: Racecourse

no develop racecourse, our history is one of the reasons they chose us.
can anyone tell me please what is our current capacity, just wondering if the proposed 5000 new kop may need a bit of extending

dragonspark 18th November 2020 11.27:30

no to new, develop racecourse

Back of the Kop 18th November 2020 11.27:40

[QUOTE=Colonel D;2409716]To make the stadium our new owners crave would we just build on the Kop or rebuild others sections of the ground too ?
Perhaps we may start from scratch with a purpose built new stadium ?[/QUOTE]

The Kop redevelopment is happening anyway I believe.

R&R's priority is to get us back to the EFL and have some decent training facilities as sliding in dog shit on 9 acre is not going to attract any players here.

Back of the Kop 18th November 2020 11.29:05

[QUOTE=dragonspark;2409721]no develop racecourse, our history is one of the reasons they chose us.
can anyone tell me please what is our current capacity, just wondering if the proposed 5000 new kop may need a bit of extending[/QUOTE]

10,700 so circa 15,700 with the new Kop

krux 18th November 2020 11.29:45

I would prefer to stay put, but would be open to an alternative proposal
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

dragonspark 18th November 2020 11.34:08

wonder if there is enough time to increase the size of the proposed new kop

moynkeepthefaith 18th November 2020 11.34:29

[QUOTE=Back of the Kop;2409726]10,700 so circa 15,700 with the new Kop[/QUOTE]

Which is more than enough - lets not get too carried away.

Priority number 1 is new management and decent team - infrastructure can run concurrently but must not detract from our objective of league status.

Phils-an-alki 18th November 2020 11.36:46

Open minded on this, would prefer to redevelop the Racecourse for obvious reasons however an alternative might be too good to refuse.

dragonspark 18th November 2020 11.36:58

i think well need more, the interest already is phenominal, a bit of success and there will be people locked out

bowler 18th November 2020 11.49:49

Due to Moss & Roberts the ground is hemmed in so not a lot of room to expand other than the kop. But I suppose in time Yale Stand can come down and build upwards as in a tiered stand.

andy buckley 18th November 2020 11.51:39

[QUOTE=dragonspark;2409733]i think well need more, the interest already is phenominal, a bit of success and there will be people locked out[/QUOTE]

Everyone's locked out at the moment 😂 our average crowd this season is in single figures

Cenotaff 18th November 2020 11.57:58

Hopefully Reynolds can get Marvel and the Hulk on board to demolish the flats. They are such a restriction on the club and to add salt to the wound, the club didn't benefit at all from them (f*ck you Moss, Dickens and council).

Dougie Davies 18th November 2020 12.34:26

something like Bradford's stand behind the goal would be decent. think that holds around 8000. At least we have the corners to work with.

welshian 18th November 2020 12.39:07

The three older sides should be redeveloped in the style of the newer stand. Starting with the kop of course.

MJ6987 18th November 2020 12.42:30

[QUOTE=bowler;2409743]Due to Moss & Roberts the ground is hemmed in so not a lot of room to expand other than the kop. But I suppose in time Yale Stand can come down and build upwards as in a tiered stand.[/QUOTE]

Can also fill in the corners of the stadium

Alan Attack 18th November 2020 12.44:46

I am not convinced redeveloping the ground is top of their priorities.

I would be annoyed if the Welsh Government pulled the plug on the Wrexham Gateway idea because we now have owners of a considerable net worth

WxmWynno 18th November 2020 12.49:20

Personally, I would like us to remain at the Racecourse and redevelop it, but as other have touched on, I think this isn’t their priority (yet...)

Kiddy Dragon 18th November 2020 12.49:37

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2409760]I am not convinced redeveloping the ground is top of their priorities.

I would be annoyed if the Welsh Government pulled the plug on the Wrexham Gateway idea because we now have owners of a considerable net worth[/QUOTE]

Agree with AA. This could become quite a confused situation. The club will have new owners, Glyndwr own The Racecouse and WST will still own the lease. Is that right?

WxmWynno 18th November 2020 12.53:12

[QUOTE=Kiddy Dragon;2409765]Agree with AA. This could become quite a confused situation. The club will have new owners, Glyndwr own The Racecouse and WST will still own the lease. Is that right?[/QUOTE]

That’s correct

oldtimer 18th November 2020 12.54:40

Possibly look at a 5000 seater stand on the kop but with a plan to build another tier on top and make it to 10000 in time using the existing stand. As you can tell I am no architect lol

Alan Attack 18th November 2020 13.03:47

I just wish someone (the Welsh Govt) would make a decision and commit the money to clearing the Kop. Once it's all gone, we can look forward regarding redevelopment but the costs of clearing it are going to be considerable; maybe £1m+ and that's plucking a figure out of the air.

Iesty 18th November 2020 13.05:47

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2409760]I am not convinced redeveloping the ground is top of their priorities.

I would be annoyed if the Welsh Government pulled the plug on the Wrexham Gateway idea because we now have owners of a considerable net worth[/QUOTE]

i did raise this in the Q & A a couple of weeks ago, Spencer seemed to think the new owners would not affect the WAG involvement in the redevelopment as it forms more of an overatching Wrexham Gateway project

WAG have also bought the rights to the land surrounding it as they want to tie it all in with the train station etc.

Also a 15,700 capacity stadium would be fine for the Prem - its more than Bournemouth has - in fact we arent far off it with our current capacity!

GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo 18th November 2020 13.11:45

I would be annoyed if the [I]Welsh Government pulled the plug on the Wrexham Gateway idea because we now have owners of a considerable net worth[/I][/QUOTE]

Relax, the gateway project has no completion date and sounds like it'll be done in phases, plus the stand is a small part of it. The garage will hopefully be demolished very soon, the paperwork has been submitted.

On the stand, it could well see funding pulled or reduced due to the new owners, hopefully at minimum the land gifted.

Apparently we should be seeing plans 'in the autumn', not long to wait hopefully.

Dafgog 18th November 2020 13.17:24

What capacity do we need for Internationals at the top tier?

tokyored 18th November 2020 13.25:30

[QUOTE=Dafgog;2409781]What capacity do we need for Internationals at the top tier?[/QUOTE]

Think you need a category 4 stadium for nations league etc which needs 8000 seats.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_stadium_categories[/url]

Although I can't see us getting anything other than a friendly up here if we're lucky.

Foxy 18th November 2020 13.33:27

[QUOTE=GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo;2409779]Relax, the gateway project has no completion date and sounds like it'll be done in phases, plus the stand is a small part of it. The garage will hopefully be demolished very soon, the paperwork has been submitted.

On the stand, it could well see funding pulled or reduced due to the new owners, hopefully at minimum the land gifted.

Apparently we should be seeing plans 'in the autumn', not long to wait hopefully.[/QUOTE]

I think we will see plans earlier given that assembly elections are in May , and some analysts think that Griffiths is in danger of losing her seat.

Ddraigoch 18th November 2020 13.36:00

Have we seen any drawings/sketches etc of what the new stand will look like? I remember seeing a fantastic looking stand a couple of years ago but think that is probably way off the mark now.

Todd Sweeney 18th November 2020 13.38:51

I don't think a new stadium is likely - we don't own The Racecourse so can't sell that to pay for one. Plus I think the Racecourse, the history, that's part of the story the new owners are buying into.

A 5,000 capacity replacement for the Kop would be great, and hopefully that is in the works anyway. Later we could replace the Uni end if we ever had the cash, add more facilities and increase capacity that way. Yale stand is old but just needs some TLC and refurbishment. There is also scope to add more facilities under the MRS.

With all that, filling in corners, we could end up with a 15,000-18,000 capacity Racecourse which should be plenty for the long-term.

redavid 18th November 2020 13.42:28

[QUOTE=dragonspark;2409730]wonder if there is enough time to increase the size of the proposed new kop[/QUOTE]

fill in the four corners

dragonspark 18th November 2020 13.44:23

i am trying not to get carried away, but the situation we are now in is unprecedented, we all know that Wrexham can attract substantial followings ie, Burton game, grimsby game with a thousand locked out, a few seasons ago when mills had us playing like real Madrid our attendances were rising by hundreds every game, even without investorsin a promotion season we would fill the ground for the last quarter, now however something differant is happening this is not just Wrexham, Mold, Deeside, Flint, Ruthin, Denbigh
etc etc this is global, we are going to be very much in the public eye and interest in attending games is not going to be governed by former criteria it is a whole new ball game, so to speak

eosceiriog 18th November 2020 13.53:28

[QUOTE=dragonspark;2409794]i am trying not to get carried away, but the situation we are now in is unprecedented, we all know that Wrexham can attract substantial followings ie, Burton game, grimsby game with a thousand locked out, a few seasons ago when mills had us playing like real Madrid our attendances were rising by hundreds every game, even without investorsin a promotion season we would fill the ground for the last quarter, now however something differant is happening this is not just Wrexham, Mold, Deeside, Flint, Ruthin, Denbigh
etc etc this is global, we are going to be very much in the public eye and interest in attending games is not going to be governed by former criteria it is a whole new ball game, so to speak[/QUOTE]

Getting rid of the smarmy "my" bit and simply reverting to the Racecourse ground again would be welcomed my many.

podders 18th November 2020 13.59:35

Long term future of the Racecourse, for if we ever made it big, was compromised as soon as those flats went up. If you look at the footprint of whats available at the Racecourse and whats been built elsewhere then the New York Stadium in Rotherham is a similar size at 12k.

If we wanted regular international football at the Racecourse, for example 1 competitive international a year, i think the FAW would want to see a 20k stadium like the Liberty stadium.

Lesjonno 18th November 2020 14.01:11

Bigger brighter floodlights

noisy1 18th November 2020 14.01:57

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2409776]I just wish someone (the Welsh Govt) would make a decision and commit the money to clearing the Kop. Once it's all gone, we can look forward regarding redevelopment but the costs of clearing it are going to be considerable; maybe £1m+ and that's plucking a figure out of the air.[/QUOTE]

I've been saying this for years.

It's got to come down and the cost is only going to go up.
I understand the buildings on the corner of Crispin Lane have been acquired in readiness to be demolished as part of the Gateway Project, why stop there?
Once the bulldozers are in, don't stop until they reach the flats.

Or better still, take them down as well.

Alan Attack 18th November 2020 14.04:40

[QUOTE=noisy1;2409804]I've been saying this for years.

It's got to come down and the cost is only going to go up.
I understand the buildings on the corner of Crispin Lane have been acquired in readiness to be demolished as part of the Gateway Project, why stop there?
Once the bulldozers are in, don't stop until they reach the flats.

Or better still, take them down as well.[/QUOTE]

Was the Welsh Govt involved with demolishing the old police station or were those costs covered by Lidl?

GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo 18th November 2020 14.14:39

[QUOTE=Foxy;2409786]I think we will see plans earlier given that assembly elections are in May , and some analysts think that Griffiths is in danger of losing her seat.[/QUOTE]

Fingers crossed she will be, another who's failed for the area. Cardiff are getting another arena - how many do they need? - while in North Wales we're crying out for such a space. This will be supported by Welsh Government cash which I think would be better spent in the north, Wrexham would be ideal. Wales Comic Con is in Telford because it's outgrown Wrexham and no suitable alternative is available, throw in the popularity of the Racecourse gigs to.

To be clearer, they should be unveiled this autumn.

TheRealWelshWayne 18th November 2020 14.21:05

Think everyone needs to manage their expectations.

A new stand is at least £1k a seat and then there is ongoing costs. So it needs to be sustainable... i.e. have the fans.

The kop development is going to happen as is the gateway project. Clwyd South MS Ken skates needs it before the assembly elections next May, the council leader needs it before his election the year afterwards.

We're in a pandemic, it's going to take a lot of extra time, just look at chapter court, techniquest, etc. There are other priorities for the welsh government like keeping businesses afloat and helping them develop during these difficult times.

We have three sides and four corners to play with. The problem is getting the machinery in, out and over land not owned or leased by the club, university, the council, transport for wales and welsh government.

Let's the club focus on getting out of this league, through league two and into league 1.

Ooh aah Paskin 18th November 2020 14.39:30

I'd be happy at the moment with a new Kop and improvements to the other stands. Better Toilets, Bars , food kiosks etc...
Repairing leaky Roofs, Replacing damaged seats etc... Just make the old girl tidy and fit for purpose.

Alan Attack 18th November 2020 14.43:51

[QUOTE=Ooh aah Paskin;2409827]I'd be happy at the moment with a new Kop and improvements to the other stands. Better Toilets, Bars , food kiosks etc...
Repairing leaky Roofs, Replacing damaged seats etc... Just make the old girl tidy and fit for purpose.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how they'll want her looking for TV?

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 09.28:46.