Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th November 2020, 15.34:03   #1-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: ERS
Twitter: @

Default More takeover thoughts

someone sent me Adrian Childs' thoughts from the S*n. To save you clicking through to that awful rag, the content is here:

I’VE been truly blessed to have been to some wonderful football matches.

I’ve seen my team, West Brom, promoted more times than I’ve seen them relegated.

I have two international teams to follow, England and Croatia, and I’ve had some brilliant times watching them — well, Croatia more than England to be honest, but there you go.

Having worked in football on TV I’ve also been to three Euros and three World Cups and covered the Champions League at all of this continent’s great stadia.

But not much has come close to what I saw at Wrexham’s Racecourse Ground in January 1992.

Arsenal were reigning league champions, Wrexham had finished 91 *places behind them, right at the bottom of the whole Football League.

And here they were playing each other in the third round of the FA Cup.
I was there because a close friend of mine from college, Bryn Law, was a massive Wrexham fan.

Bryn will be familiar to fans of Leeds United, for whom he commentates.

And he worked on Sky Sports for many years. In 2007, commentating on Wrexham’s last game of the season, he could be seen crying tears of joy when they dodged relegation out of the Football League. “This must never happen again,” he wept.

It happened again — the following season they dropped down to the fifth tier of English football, which is where they have languished ever since.

Because of Bryn, I have always kept an eye on Wrexham.

If Hollywood stars Ryan *Reynolds and Rob McElhenney, who bought the club this week, want to make a documentary about the last 20 years of their club, they would have a *tragi-comic horror film on their hands.

One owner after another contrived to make a bigger life-threatening hash of it, until the fans took the club over.

But they then basically fell out among themselves and everything carried on going to pot. All hope was ebbing away. If Covid had not brought last season to a premature end they could well have been relegated to the sixth division.

And then, in the most *peculiar football story since Michael Jackson turned up one day at Exeter City, Ryan *and Rob buy Wrexham.

Who knows what on earth they are up to? All we know for sure is that they have a couple of million quid to spend and, slightly unsettlingly, documentary producers already appear to be in place.

Surely this once great club is not now going to be reduced to the role of *fall-guy in some Netflix reality classic?

To be fair, even if it is, what have Wrexham got to lose?

The two movie heroes have come riding to the club’s rescue saying all the right things and charming the pants — so to speak — off any Wrexham fan listening.

This is a charm offensive like no other.

Reynolds even dug up and replied to an eight-year-old tweet from a young woman in Wrexham called Lois who wanted him to model in a life-drawing class.

And yesterday it was reported that lifelong Wrexham fan Aiden Stott, who has cerebral palsy, had been given six grand to adapt his bathroom by McElhenney.

Can this story get any more random? Oh yes it can: See McElhenney’s tweet of John Cleese in a Wrexham shirt.

Both Ryan and Rob told fans on a Zoom call — yes, really — that they are looking forward to “a drink in local pubs” with them.

Do they know what they are promising here? After a 3-0 home defeat to, say, King’s Lynn, I’d be interested in *seeing that pub scene in the documentary.

“We want Wrexham to be a global force,” says Reynolds. “This is the third-oldest club on the planet and we don’t see why it can’t have global appeal.”

There are many people well-versed in the ways of the football business who could probably share with them a good few reasons why *Wrexham may struggle to become a global force.

But hell, why not dream?

Going back to the FA Cup third round of 1992, I doubt any of the Wrexham fans I walked to the Racecourse Ground with were dreaming of getting past Arsenal.

The league champions duly took the lead just before half-time. The fans in the kop behind the goal all kind of sighed in an unsurprised way.

Arsenal were still leading 1-0 in the 82nd minute, when Wrexham got a free kick, theoretically within shooting range.

As Mickey Thomas stood over the ball, Bryn said to me: “We haven’t scored from a free kick in living memory.”

Back of the net. 1-1. Pandemonium.

I daresay Wrexham’s then owners were rubbing their hands together at the prospect of a lucrative replay at Arsenal’s then ground of Highbury.

But no, they only went and scored again a couple of minutes later. 2-1 Wrexham.

And there was still time for a twist. Arsenal scored at our end of the ground, the entire kop buried its head in its hands. I swear I was the only person with their head up to see the linesman’s flag was up.

“Offside!” I screamed.

A *terrible decision, but who cares? Pandemonium broke out for the third time in ten minutes, and then a fourth time when the final whistle blew.

I had Bryn’s head buried in one shoulder and his mate’s in the other.

When they finally came up for air, my sweatshirt was damp with tears.

Look for the word “miracle” in a dictionary and you’ll find it somewhere between “minuscule” and “misadventure”.

But look for it in football and you’ll find it in Wrexham on that day more than 20 years ago.

You’d have to have a heart of stone not to be half-hoping that another miracle there may yet come to pass in this corner of North Wales.

Last edited by cardiffred; 19th November 2020 at 15.35:05..
Old 19th November 2020, 17.39:42   #2-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Default Re: More takeover thoughts

Brilliant
Old 19th November 2020, 18.11:12   #3-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Very well written
Old 19th November 2020, 18.29:33   #4-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot:

Adrian Chiles has spoken about our club before - he has a real soft spot for us. Always comes across as a good bloke.
Old 19th November 2020, 18.37:20   #5-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: none given

Great piece, I liked his documentary on his drinking.
Old 19th November 2020, 18.52:10   #6-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot:

He'll be on s4c next in saying that in Welsh !
Old 19th November 2020, 19.33:02   #7-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: none given

Superb
Old 19th November 2020, 19.35:52   #8-0 (permalink)
-

Racecourse Spot: yale stand

fair play that was an exceedingly good read
Old 19th November 2020, 20.53:10   #9-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

That is lovely. All of the sufferings as Wrexham fans that we've endured for decades will make any future success all the sweeter.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 12.58:47.