RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Robbie Savage, Mark Hughes and Dean Saunders (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/116621-robbie-savage-mark-hughes-dean-saunders.html)

jonesy 20th November 2020 21.48:01

Robbie Savage, Mark Hughes and Dean Saunders

They're all heroes to me.

I wouldn't have Savage or Hughes as a manager without a natiional league advisor and Saunders has baggage (which makes good tv) but if he'd stayed put I'm pretty sure he would have got us promoted..

Discuss..

louisleftboot 20th November 2020 22.34:38

Re: Robbie Savage, Mark Hughes and Dean Saunders

Had a pint have we?

Inside Left 20th November 2020 22.44:47

[QUOTE=jonesy;2410555]They're all heroes to me.

I wouldn't have Savage or Hughes as a manager without a natiional league advisor and Saunders has baggage (which makes good tv) but if he'd stayed put I'm pretty sure he would have got us promoted..

Discuss..[/QUOTE]

The club couldn't afford the salary that the previous regime paid him. It would have killed the club. Previous owners extravagance I am afraid.

crazywelsh 20th November 2020 23.58:09

[QUOTE=Inside Left;2410560]The club couldn't afford the salary that the previous regime paid him. It would have killed the club. Previous owners extravagance I am afraid.[/QUOTE]

We could of had anyone with the 1.8 million we pissed up the wall.

A cheap option cost us more than an expensive one in the end, as we ended up paying for 3 separate management changes and the poor players.

You call it extravagant, others call it a proper manager.

John Neals Dynasty 21st November 2020 00.02:34

[QUOTE=Inside Left;2410560]The club couldn't afford the salary that the previous regime paid him. It would have killed the club. Previous owners extravagance I am afraid.[/QUOTE]

It's like all things in life you get what you pay for.

Buy cheap and it usually ends up costing more to replace than paying a little bit more for better quality.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

Silvo 21st November 2020 00.21:23

Liked Hughes as a player but as a manager the Premier Leagues version of Dean Keates.
Savage is involved with Macc now and has no managerial experience.
Saunders.... No thank you! Should be looking at getting in the Cowley brothers if possible but that's just my opinion.

moynkeepthefaith 21st November 2020 02.17:59

[QUOTE=Silvo;2410567]Liked Hughes as a player but as a manager the Premier Leagues version of Dean Keates.
Saunders.... No thank you! Should be looking at getting in the Cowley brothers if possible but that's just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely - proven record end of story. We have tried the old drunk and the young punk now it’s time for slam dunk with the Cowley’s.

crazywelsh 21st November 2020 05.29:05

[QUOTE=Silvo;2410567]Liked Hughes as a player but as a manager the Premier Leagues version of Dean Keates.
Saunders.... No thank you! Should be looking at getting in the Cowley brothers if possible but that's just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Saunders built the best team we have had in the national league, his sell on fees saved us too, allowed the WST to piss about with 1.3 million I believe and the Taylor money 500k apparently. Obeng also.

Left the club due to village idiots who couldn’t even send an email to the right person, then they continued with that lack of unprofessionalism for 8 years.

louisleftboot 21st November 2020 06.35:54

Wouldn’t want any of them near the club now. Why are we so obsessed with these people?

Prodigal Dragon 21st November 2020 06.41:48

[QUOTE=moynkeepthefaith;2410571]Absolutely - proven record end of story. We have tried the old drunk and the young punk now it’s time for slam dunk with the Cowley’s.[/QUOTE]

Poetry in motion!

redavid 21st November 2020 07.22:43

Savage is no Manager , Hughes Nah , failed every job he had despite the money , Saunders would have got us promoted had he stayed , but needs spending money , although he did make us money to , cant understand the fanatics for Cowley`s , they got Lincoln out of our league but higher up they were limited . imo

Dougie Davies 21st November 2020 07.35:55

[QUOTE=crazywelsh;2410574]Saunders built the best team we have had in the national league, his sell on fees saved us too, allowed the WST to piss about with 1.3 million I believe and the Taylor money 500k apparently. Obeng also.

Left the club due to village idiots who couldn’t even send an email to the right person, then they continued with that lack of unprofessionalism for 8 years.[/QUOTE]

Hold on. Saunders signed that many different players it nearly bankrupted the club. He jumped ship to a higher league where all he got on his Cv was relegation.
The money we got off those sell on clauses added towards clearing the debts.
Now I know some of you love throwing venom towards the WST but don't try and turn the Saunders era into some sort of fairy tale that it wasn't.

Back to the OP. Hughes struggled with billions of pounds at Man City. His negative tactics ruined Wales' play off chances vs Russia and to be honest he's just a crap manager.
Savage isn't a manager. He's now involved with Mac anyway.

We need to look at someone with a track history of Conference/League 2/League 1 who knows the football league and knows promotion. None of the people OP mentions fills that criteria

Royal welsh red 21st November 2020 07.44:59

[QUOTE=redavid;2410586]Savage is no Manager , Hughes Nah , failed every job he had despite the money , Saunders would have got us promoted had he stayed , but needs spending money , although he did make us money to , cant understand the fanatics for Cowley`s , they got Lincoln out of our league but higher up they were limited . imo[/QUOTE]

Promoted out of our league, promoted from league 2, in and around the play offs of league 1 before leaving for Huddersfield and keeping them in the championship. Oh, and an fa cup quarter final.

I’d take that to be honest.

Dai83 21st November 2020 07.46:32

I'd rather Dean Keates than Robbie Savage and I really don't like Keates.

Mr Wonderful 21st November 2020 07.51:57

No.
[SIZE="5"]No
And [SIZE="7"]No.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Back of the Kop 21st November 2020 08.10:11

Discuss..[/QUOTE]

Blimey, there were a few out on the strong stuff last night

wrexhamforever16 21st November 2020 08.46:16

[QUOTE=redavid;2410586]Savage is no Manager , Hughes Nah , failed every job he had despite the money , Saunders would have got us promoted had he stayed , but needs spending money , although he did make us money to , cant understand the fanatics for Cowley`s , they got Lincoln out of our league but higher up they were limited . imo[/QUOTE]

Limited? Are you for real? They did a bloody fine job at Braintree with no cash, went to Lincoln did well, ended up making there own cash for the club by getting to the quarter finals of fa cup. Two promotions to league 1, in and around play offs in league 1 & left for a side they realistically they shouldn’t have as Huddersfield was & still is a bit of a basket club. The Cowley Brothers are very good managers and are highly rated by anyone who’s played for them or coached alongside them. Sadly they are likely to still be out of our reach even with the money, but that’s the best about that we could hope to get here

moynkeepthefaith 21st November 2020 08.46:29

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2410578]Poetry in motion![/QUOTE]

Influence of purple moose :)

Back of the Kop 21st November 2020 08.59:51

[QUOTE=wrexhamforever16;2410606]Limited? Are you for real? They did a bloody fine job at Braintree with no cash, went to Lincoln did well, ended up making there own cash for the club by getting to the quarter finals of fa cup. Two promotions to league 1, in and around play offs in league 1 & left for a side they realistically they shouldn’t have as Huddersfield was & still is a bit of a basket club. The Cowley Brothers are very good managers and are highly rated by anyone who’s played for them or coached alongside them. Sadly they are likely to still be out of our reach even with the money, but that’s the best about that we could hope to get here[/QUOTE]

If R&R (or rather our new CEO) want the Cowley's money won't be an issue

The issue will be whether they want to drop back to the NL

Prodigal Dragon 21st November 2020 09.20:53

[QUOTE=moynkeepthefaith;2410607]Influence of purple moose :)[/QUOTE]

A fine tipple!

Silvo 21st November 2020 09.22:49

[QUOTE=Back of the Kop;2410614]If R&R (or rather our new CEO) want the Cowley's money won't be an issue

The issue will be whether they want to drop back to the NL[/QUOTE]

Hopefully the Cowley would see it as a massive opportunity to take a club as high as possible.

Prodigal Dragon 21st November 2020 09.24:41

[QUOTE=Back of the Kop;2410614]If R&R (or rather our new CEO) want the Cowley's money won't be an issue

The issue will be whether they want to drop back to the NL[/QUOTE]

I think they would come to Wrexham because we now have the ambition and the resources to match.

They walked away from Huddersfield because of a disagreement over their ambitions and those of the owner.

It's possible, but would they fit the new CEO's criteria? I do not know.

davewilli 21st November 2020 09.33:08

Danny Cowley on Soccer AM, we may get a clue what his plans are.

moynkeepthefaith 21st November 2020 09.34:06

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2410624]I think they would come to Wrexham because we now have the ambition and the resources to match.

They walked away from Huddersfield because of a disagreement over their ambitions and those of the owner.

It's possible, but would they fit the new CEO's criteria? I do not know.[/QUOTE]

I sincerely hope they would fit the new CEO's criteria. I also find it interesting that they have not been offered anything since Huddersfield - unless they already have ......

standman 21st November 2020 10.04:28

Discuss..[/QUOTE]

Spencer is that you? You normally make these bad decisions yourself.

Funny_Old_Game 21st November 2020 10.23:46

Discuss..[/QUOTE]

I remember my first heroin injection.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

cynprifathro 21st November 2020 10.24:18

Robbie Savage, thoroughly good bloke, average footballer, wanted to become a 'character' then a celebrity and did so!
Mark Hughes, very good striker, hotheaded at times, variable club managerial success despite being well-backed by wealthy owners, tactically found wanting, past his sell buy date at higher level, no non-league experience.
Dean Saunders, good footballer, fully backed by Geoff Moss, nearly got us into the EFL, did OK at Doncaster then downward spiral after mistakenly appointed by the wealthy Steve Morgan who tried to dabble in football club ownership! Blew his radio opportunities through his own arrogance and foolishness!

exiledwrexham 21st November 2020 10.59:12

Agree

Vorporix 21st November 2020 11.43:11

[QUOTE=Mr Wonderful;2410593]No.
[SIZE="5"]No
And [SIZE="7"]No.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

This, this and this!!

harrypothead 21st November 2020 12.23:40

Just going to throw this name out there, as I know he did a great job at our level, is always professional about how he sets up his teams regarding training etc. And would tick a lot of boxes for the documentary. He is at a club now that is struggling financially, and he is someone I'd be happy with here. That person is Sol Campbell.

There are also other ex premier league players that would be good for the documentary, with Robbie Fowler being one of them. If Peter Moore comes in the Fowler would be a possibility. The Cowleys have done well with Lincoln yes, but are they big names that would intrest the general public to tune in and watch ot on the tv. With a big name like Campbell or Fowler, people from all over the world would be interested in tuning in and seing how they do.

Cowleys would be best for footballing reasons but to put us out there and to get people interested in us we will need a big name, and someone who played at the very top.

Sir Crispin Lane 21st November 2020 15.55:25

For me I’d love Darren Ferguson back .
Pros - knows the club
Successful lower league manager with 2 promotions already with peterboro
Good connections in the game
Media savvy; Good everytime I’ve seen him interviewed on TV and in print.

Cons - managing a club 2 leagues higher and looking to get back in the championship with Peterborough.

Maybe a few years down the line if or hopefully when we are back in the league.

Liverpool Red 21st November 2020 16.54:51

Thank god it’s not fans that will be appointing the next manager. It is okay to appoint a manager who is not an ex player or a celebrity.

Number6 21st November 2020 16.58:49

None of the above, fresh thinking required

MJ6987 21st November 2020 17.48:26

Do you think that “entertainment value” will come into the decision? For the documentary?

Outertowner 21st November 2020 18.17:02

[QUOTE=cynprifathro;2410648]Robbie Savage, thoroughly good bloke, average footballer, wanted to become a 'character' then a celebrity and did so!
Mark Hughes, very good striker, hotheaded at times, variable club managerial success despite being well-backed by wealthy owners, tactically found wanting, past his sell buy date at higher level, no non-league experience.
Dean Saunders, good footballer, fully backed by Geoff Moss, nearly got us into the EFL, did OK at Doncaster then downward spiral after mistakenly appointed by the wealthy Steve Morgan who tried to dabble in football club ownership! Blew his radio opportunities through his own arrogance and foolishness![/QUOTE]

Probably the most balanced post on this thread.
In summary non of these should be Wrexham’s future manager. I don’t know what the obsession is of getting someone that has an affiliation with Wrexham. Someone with no previous with Wrexham would be preferable.

pricey 21st November 2020 18.20:59

[QUOTE=Number6;2411039]None of the above, fresh thinking required[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Primary qualification: does not know the area!

woblob04 21st November 2020 20.56:54

Why the need for a thread? Spencer is gonna be new CEO and he will bring Ricketts back home, after he gets sacked by Shrewsbury. Bobby grant comes back with a contract that would make einstein's brain itch and Rutherford is the overdubbed commentary for the doc on Netflix.

dragon48 21st November 2020 21.19:48

OK, so let’s sit back and think what it is we don’t like about Keates and co, personalities aside. Poor tactics, lack of coaching, weak man management would come close, I think.
So why do we need someone with non-league experience? I don’t get it. Usual argument about anyone else would be, ‘They wouldn’t want to come here’ or ‘We couldn’t afford them’.
I’m thinking that’s changed now. This thing of R+R is a project which the world is, quite clearly, watching. Why wouldn’t a football guy with top experience not want to jump on board, with all the publicity on offer? Not as much money as some could offer perhaps, but hey
I know a bloke currently working in China (a long way away) who, last heard of, lives on the Wirral (up the road) who might be interested. Speaks Spanish. And no, I haven’t been drinking (much). Why can’t we dream? Think where we all were only a few weeks ago.
OK, shout me down......

redavid 22nd November 2020 07.56:49

[QUOTE=harrypothead;2410689]Just going to throw this name out there, as I know he did a great job at our level, is always professional about how he sets up his teams regarding training etc. And would tick a lot of boxes for the documentary. He is at a club now that is struggling financially, and he is someone I'd be happy with here. That person is Sol Campbell.

There are also other ex premier league players that would be good for the documentary, with Robbie Fowler being one of them. If Peter Moore comes in the Fowler would be a possibility. The Cowleys have done well with Lincoln yes, but are they big names that would intrest the general public to tune in and watch ot on the tv. With a big name like Campbell or Fowler, people from all over the world would be interested in tuning in and seing how they do.

Cowleys would be best for footballing reasons but to put us out there and to get people interested in us we will need a big name, and someone who played at the very top.[/QUOTE]

Oh Really , Remember Didi Hamman at Stockport ? that went well didnt it ?

redavid 22nd November 2020 07.58:21

[QUOTE=Royal welsh red;2410590]Promoted out of our league, promoted from league 2, in and around the play offs of league 1 before leaving for Huddersfield and keeping them in the championship. Oh, and an fa cup quarter final.

I’d take that to be honest.[/QUOTE]

well ok , good points.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 07.26:53.