Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th December 2020, 15.12:32   #1-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Front of the WrexRent
Twitter: @BLong1864

Default How do we unite the fanbase again?

As the name of the thread suggests, how do people suggest we reunite the fanbase again? What can realistic expectations going forward for the club? Having lurked on here, Wrexham twitter and Wrexham Fans Chat on FB for years, it's obvious that there's a lot of frustration in the fanbase, but some people's attitude perplexes me. I can appreciate that pre-takeover the fanbase was pretty divided, but even now if anyone dare suggest giving Keates a bit of time, they seem to be hounded pretty quickly.

For full disclosure, I haven't been to watch Wrexham regularly for a few years now. For about 10 years I went to almost every game, and only didn't have a season ticket when I lived out of town, but slowly I started to go off life in the conference. The atmosphere around the club during the Sam Ricketts/Graham Barrow debacle was the final straw, and I stopped going completely last year. I also had the opportunity to see a different type of football, as half of my family are die hard Villa and my grandad needed to someone to take him to games.

Attending Villa Park and following their social media made it obvious that there are aspects of football fans that are the same everywhere (overly optimistic/pessimistic supporters, not much room for reasoning or middle ground), however, I find our lot are particularly aggressive. My main suspicion is its a mix of things, not least bit of a hangover from the days where we needed to fight to survive as a club.

But what solves this? We're potentially going to have an influx of new and returning fans (myself included), so what's the solution to get people singing from the same hymn sheet? Other than winning games of course.
Old 6th December 2020, 15.18:15   #2-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: How do we unite the fanbase again?

We start winning. It isn't normal for a football club to go this long without anything to shout about on the pitch. Once that changes the fan base will be more closely aligned.
Old 6th December 2020, 15.28:44   #3-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: The Kop

the old guard of directors and management coaching team need to be shown the door ASAP , whilst they remain there will always be divisions within the fan base , we need a complete clean slate
Old 6th December 2020, 15.31:29   #4-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

It's been a gradual build-up of anger and frustration due to the consistent failures of the WST. Those failures have increased tenfold over the past 2 years. Incomprehensibly terrible decisions. The main ones being the appointment of the last three managers who wouldn't have been employed by anyone competent. This anger is, of course, multiplied again when no accountability is taken with Spencer Harris and Gavin Jones continuing to treat the club as their own plaything.

Removing these two will ease a lot of tensions but there's still a lot left unexplained. There are too many scandals to even mention at this point.

Adding to that the heart and soul have been ripped out of the club. Keates being welcomed back with open arms by the board flies directly in the face of the pride that Wrexham AFC once had. Wrexham has always had gritted teeth and an edge to it, whether we were good, bad or ugly we always had our hearts on our sleeves and pride in who we are. That's been ripped away. We're not even a shadow of what we were 10 years ago.

Many are also sick of the amateur, volunteer, bare minimum mentality we have as a club. Just today the club's Twitter account is tweeting about "Agent Akil Wright" for scoring against Chester. Tinpot mentality after we just got hammered by Torquay.

How do we unite the fanbase? Get serious. Get professional. Get rid of those that are divisive.
Old 6th December 2020, 15.32:03   #5-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn View Post
We start winning. It isn't normal for a football club to go this long without anything to shout about on the pitch. Once that changes the fan base will be more closely aligned.
Have to disagree slightly. Whilst the football has clearly been poor in a division that's below where we should be, we have been in the playoffs 4 out of the last 10 years, including an FA Trophy win, a final and some alright FA cup runs. I wouldn't say it is an especially abnormal amount of misfortune.

Even this year we are in a decent league position. I didn't go last year so find it hard to comment on Keates, but from a slightly outsider POV I find the venom aimed at him a bit nuts.
Old 6th December 2020, 15.35:42   #6-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTheRed View Post
Have to disagree slightly. Whilst the football has clearly been poor in a division that's below where we should be, we have been in the playoffs 4 out of the last 10 years, including an FA Trophy win, a final and some alright FA cup runs. I wouldn't say it is an especially abnormal amount of misfortune.

Even this year we are in a decent league position. I didn't go last year so find it hard to comment on Keates, but from a slightly outsider POV I find the venom aimed at him a bit nuts.
Well keates wasn't the manager in those better seasons.

Your comments about the venom being aimed at keates being 'nuts' is a bit of hyperbole on your part. You may be happy with him, but I'm.sure you also understand the reasons for the 'venom'
Posted via mobile theme
Old 6th December 2020, 15.39:48   #7-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwalian dragon View Post
It's been a gradual build-up of anger and frustration due to the consistent failures of the WST. Those failures have increased tenfold over the past 2 years. Incomprehensibly terrible decisions. The main ones being the appointment of the last three managers who wouldn't have been employed by anyone competent. This anger is, of course, multiplied again when no accountability is taken with Spencer Harris and Gavin Jones continuing to treat the club as their own plaything.

Removing these two will ease a lot of tensions but there's still a lot left unexplained. There are too many scandals to even mention at this point.

Adding to that the heart and soul have been ripped out of the club. Keates being welcomed back with open arms by the board flies directly in the face of the pride that Wrexham AFC once had. Wrexham has always had gritted teeth and an edge to it, whether we were good, bad or ugly we always had our hearts on our sleeves and pride in who we are. That's been ripped away. We're not even a shadow of what we were 10 years ago.

Many are also sick of the amateur, volunteer, bare minimum mentality we have as a club. Just today the club's Twitter account is tweeting about "Agent Akil Wright" for scoring against Chester. Tinpot mentality after we just got hammered by Torquay.

How do we unite the fanbase? Get serious. Get professional. Get rid of those that are divisive.
A lot of that makes sense, can't argue with it, I don't doubt that a clean slate and a clear out at the club is exactly what is needed, but these things take time and won't happen over night.

I think the fanbase has a part to play in all of this, the tweet being a prime example I don't know anyone on the media team, but that was obviously something tongue in cheek that's missed the mark slightly. I think plenty of football clubs have and would post something similar. It was a daft thing to put up, but the reaction to it has been very OTT.
Old 6th December 2020, 15.40:58   #8-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: The one that's not been sponsored

Part one has been done. Part two can't be far away. Only a few more weeks before Keates and Co pack their bags, for good this time.
Old 6th December 2020, 15.41:10   #9-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: MRS - Mold End or ERS Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwalian dragon View Post

This. We're amateur off the pitch. If you call it out you're seen as a trouble maker so both sides have their back up. I'll be glad when we have proper people running the club and can focus on the football element of things.

Look at the IRA post. Something like that could have gone viral and could have damaged a potential big takeover like we've now got. But you can't criticise cos it's volunteers
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 01.29:53.