Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th January 2021, 10.57:20   #19-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Wherever the new ticketing process lets me sit
Twitter: @

Default Re: Patrick Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisleftboot View Post
On the flip side, would any manager aiming for promotion start playing a load of first year youth lads and expect results? We can be honest with ourselves and say the absolute cream of the crop would get pinched much lower leaving us with the likes of Rob Evans, Leo Smith, Reynolds etc. I don’t think any manager would have put faith in them to win promotion. And you’re right, dumping the reserve team was a mistake but we’ve been geared towards promotion at any cost.

I’m not defending the youth policy under the Trust but let’s not pretend we’re in the position to start filling the team with 17 years olds. If a championship team comes in for a 12 year old, what can a conference team do? Hold them off for a couple of years? Maybe now we have the cash to keep them.
I don't think anyone would argue playing a lot of first-year pros. But, give them time to develop, players like Matty Sargent and Jack Thorn would have been 3rd year pros by now, Doug Tharme even more. It's the fact we don't seem interested at all in playing them and then get rid of them.

Nobody gets good in the professional game without some professional game time. We're not going to keep the likes of Jonny Smith or Pat Jones once clubs higher up come knocking, but surely we have a few guys that can play at National League level given the right training and experience.
Old 10th January 2021, 11.20:03   #20-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: The one that's not been sponsored

Quote:
Originally Posted by krux View Post
I dont blame the WST for the lack of a youth programme - we cant afford it.

Though its another example of why that ownership model does not work
Posted via mobile theme
Given how much has been wasted on Johnny Journeyman and co under WST ownership, I'm not buying that argument.

The youth debate has been done to death. I agree with a previous poster, it is the WST defining failure that can't be blamed on anyone else but themselves.

I'm sure the new guys have done their research and are reminded of just how important a part a decent youth system has had in our successful periods in the past, and how important it will be going forward.
Old 10th January 2021, 11.29:24   #21-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Post takeover, I think the perfect role for the WST would be to resurrect the youth system/COE, fundraising and organisation etc. It would be a shame for WST to have no purpose in the new setup, this way it can still contribute towards our glorious future.

Leave first team matters our new director of football, Pele.
Old 10th January 2021, 11.31:23   #22-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Upper Yale

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricey View Post
Post takeover, I think the perfect role for the WST would be to resurrect the youth system/COE, fundraising and organisation etc. It would be a shame for WST to have no purpose in the new setup, this way it can still contribute towards our glorious future.

Leave first team matters our new director of football, Pele.
So you want the organisation that decimated the youth system to now be responsible for resurrecting it!?

Fundraising maybe, but nothing else please.
Old 10th January 2021, 11.32:14   #23-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Given how much has been wasted on Johnny Journeyman and co under WST ownership, I'm not buying that argument.

The youth debate has been done to death. I agree with a previous poster, it is the WST defining failure that can't be blamed on anyone else but themselves.

I'm sure the new guys have done their research and are reminded of just how important a part a decent youth system has had in our successful periods in the past, and how important it will be going forward.
The lack of money is a really poor excuse also. What attempts were made to fund the COE from other sources? Opportunities to sponsor the youth did not even feature in the clubs sponsorship brochure.
The youth never featured in any briefing or update emails from the club to members to keep interest up, they were never spoken about to local media.
As an example, once a year we could have had a “fund the youth” game. Get them on the racecourse and ask fans to pay a nominal amount with a voluntary higher entrance fee to fund the youth team. I certainly would have been prepared to pay yearly for that.
The club even rejected the chance to create a Directorship to drive acceptable standards even when all of the work was done for them by a members resolution. This was a zero cost solution laid out for them and they stood against it at the AGM.

As far as the board was concerned this was out of sight out of mind and they used lack of funds as their excuse rather than look for creative ways to keep the centre prosperous
Old 10th January 2021, 11.35:21   #24-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

One good thing Saunders did when he was manager is to have reformed a reserve side,I remember he couldn't believe Little had dismantled it.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 10th January 2021, 11.54:14   #25-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post

Even if Johnny journeymen were good enough and got us competing we still would not have enough cash for a youth set-up.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 10th January 2021, 12.00:06   #26-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWFC View Post
So you want the organisation that decimated the youth system to now be responsible for resurrecting it!?

Fundraising maybe, but nothing else please.
Exactly. Poacher turned gamekeeper init. Keep them away from Pele's businesss and a chance to rebuild following the error. I reckon this could work.
Old 10th January 2021, 12.03:52   #27-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: The one that's not been sponsored

Quote:
Originally Posted by krux View Post
Even if Johnny journeymen were good enough and got us competing we still would not have enough cash for a youth set-up.
Posted via mobile theme
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Maybe because it was Moss' baby, maybe they just couldn't be arsed playing the long game as it's not as sexy as hiring managers and signing 'professional' footballers, who knows? Quite frankly, I no longer care, just as long as those responsible for it's destruction clear their desks with regards footballing matters at The Racecourse.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 19.10:48.