Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th January 2021, 14.52:51   #28-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Patrick Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Maybe because it was Moss' baby, maybe they just couldn't be arsed playing the long game as it's not as sexy as hiring managers and signing 'professional' footballers, who knows? Quite frankly, I no longer care, just as long as those responsible for it's destruction clear their desks with regards footballing matters at The Racecourse.
This is how I feel. Bored talking about all the mistakes and bull that goes with WST ownership

Let's look to the future. I think it will be quite interesting
Old 10th January 2021, 14.54:19   #29-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Hays Travel Stand

Quote:
Given how much has been wasted on Johnny Journeyman and co under WST ownership, I'm not buying that argument.

The youth debate has been done to death. I agree with a previous poster, it is the WST defining failure that can't be blamed on anyone else but themselves.

I'm sure the new guys have done their research and are reminded of just how important a part a decent youth system has had in our successful periods in the past, and how important it will be going forward.
We paid approx 25k for Jason Oswell which was a disaster-
Not fully fit when signed
Never managed to even be a regular starter
Why pay fee when only 18 month deal- definitely does not happen in L1 & L2.

This combined with the Bobby Grant fee,salary and renew yourself for 2 years deal were just off the richter scale of wasting money.
Old 10th January 2021, 15.08:15   #30-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: ERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lods View Post
I don't think anyone would argue playing a lot of first-year pros. But, give them time to develop, players like Matty Sargent and Jack Thorn would have been 3rd year pros by now, Doug Tharme even more. It's the fact we don't seem interested at all in playing them and then get rid of them.

Nobody gets good in the professional game without some professional game time. We're not going to keep the likes of Jonny Smith or Pat Jones once clubs higher up come knocking, but surely we have a few guys that can play at National League level given the right training and experience.
That’s the thing though, throwing these lads in trying to get a playoff place/title wouldn’t work for them. They need time in games with less pressure. If we were mid table in Lg2 id happily want to see them play. Pretty much every game we play down here is must win and the crowd soon turns if we’re on a bad run.
Old 10th January 2021, 16.04:51   #31-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Wherever the new ticketing process lets me sit

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisleftboot View Post
That’s the thing though, throwing these lads in trying to get a playoff place/title wouldn’t work for them. They need time in games with less pressure. If we were mid table in Lg2 id happily want to see them play. Pretty much every game we play down here is must win and the crowd soon turns if we’re on a bad run.
I agree they do need the time. The only player to have come straight from our youth team who has got what you could argue is decent game time in the past 5 years is Bickerstaff this season through necessity.

I don't even think they need to start. Let them come on as a sub and give them 20-30 minutes a week to develop and get some game-time consistency.
Old 10th January 2021, 16.22:39   #32-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Quote:
Given how much has been wasted on Johnny Journeyman and co under WST ownership, I'm not buying that argument.

The youth debate has been done to death. I agree with a previous poster, it is the WST defining failure that can't be blamed on anyone else but themselves.

I'm sure the new guys have done their research and are reminded of just how important a part a decent youth system has had in our successful periods in the past, and how important it will be going forward.
Both spoke about how the club needs to be sustainable, having a successful CoE forms part of that.

It'll be nice to see some players having a bit of pride in putting the shirt on for a change.

So much money wasted through fees generated because of the CoE and now the taps run dry, that and a training ground were more important than a gung-ho promotion challenge.

Thankfully Peter Moore is on board and will know the importance of building towards something.
Old 10th January 2021, 16.28:29   #33-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by krux View Post
I dont blame the WST for the lack of a youth programme - we cant afford it.

Though its another example of why that ownership model does not work
Posted via mobile theme
I think you make a very point there krux I think the situation is that clubs in the league are given funding for a youth program and we dont .
Old 10th January 2021, 16.29:30   #34-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Edwards View Post
We paid approx 25k for Jason Oswell which was a disaster-
Not fully fit when signed
Never managed to even be a regular starter
Why pay fee when only 18 month deal- definitely does not happen in L1 & L2.

This combined with the Bobby Grant fee,salary and renew yourself for 2 years deal were just off the richter scale of wasting money.
Oswell, the same one the likes of Spencer Harris were briefing the rottweilers 'didn't want to go pro', then a week after went to Morecombe. Despite him saying he'd like to give it another go, finally we get our man and then use him in such a way he was useless. Effectively ruined his pro career, now playing much better at Telford.

It's a familiar theme for many players. We've missed out on so many WPL players it's ridiculous, but apparently scout it, must have been Stevie Wonder. When we finally sign them we do everything possible to ruin their careers.

Last edited by GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo; 10th January 2021 at 16.32:06..
Old 10th January 2021, 19.51:20   #35-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

This CEO has got his hands full when he takes up his post. New management on the playing side, players, set up an Acadamy, a reserve team in a decent league so that the young lads can play men's football before the first team. All this has been like sand going through your fingers this last decade.
Old 10th January 2021, 20.02:13   #36-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisleftboot View Post
On the flip side, would any manager aiming for promotion start playing a load of first year youth lads and expect results? We can be honest with ourselves and say the absolute cream of the crop would get pinched much lower leaving us with the likes of Rob Evans, Leo Smith, Reynolds etc. I don’t think any manager would have put faith in them to win promotion. And you’re right, dumping the reserve team was a mistake but we’ve been geared towards promotion at any cost.

I’m not defending the youth policy under the Trust but let’s not pretend we’re in the position to start filling the team with 17 years olds. If a championship team comes in for a 12 year old, what can a conference team do? Hold them off for a couple of years? Maybe now we have the cash to keep them.
Im not saying play "Loads " as you put it , blooding one or two in when appropriate , bringing them off the bench when in a good position , Leo was used like that at times, and looked good , And lets face it we put all our resources into the first team to get promoted , And where are we ?
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 05.34:42.