RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Devonte Redmond (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/116855-devonte-redmond.html)

Beavon from heaven 14th January 2021 00.23:20

Devonte Redmond

What’s everyone’s thoughts on him and does anyone know if it’s down to attitude or something like that why he isn’t getting picked surely he offers more than an overweight dwarf and Rutherford. And if he isn’t in keates plans why hasn’t he looked to move him on for a loan spell etc. There’s a player there and once again we’ve failed to see anything from him and now he’s completely frozen out the team, what would you do with him?

Royal welsh red 14th January 2021 05.42:32

Re: Devonte Redmond

There’s a player in there but there’s also a reason he’s dropped from the prem to our level.
I also don’t see how a player like him fits in a Keates team. We never play someone just behind a striker to create, so he would just be shoehorned into a position in the midfield.

He’ll leave here and find some form no doubt.

Alan Attack 14th January 2021 06.25:00

Be nice to know. I’m sure people will want to blame the management and coaching but he might just be a complete arsehole who’s taking the mick out of the club and the fans.

redavid 14th January 2021 07.08:35

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2426310]Be nice to know. I’m sure people will want to blame the management and coaching but he might just be a complete arsehole who’s taking the mick out of the club and the fans.[/QUOTE]

Either way its a waste of a wage, either use Him or lose Him , What ive seen of Him He has ability , something some getting a start seem to lack. :toilet:

Phils-an-alki 14th January 2021 07.09:18

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2426310]Be nice to know. I’m sure people will want to blame the management and coaching but he might just be a complete arsehole who’s taking the mick out of the club and the fans.[/QUOTE]

Or he might not be.

If its not clear to fans by now that this management "team" is hopeless then it never will. Too many players fail here. Its no coincidence.

Alan Attack 14th January 2021 07.13:22

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2426313]Or he might not be.

If its not clear to fans by now that this management "team" is hopeless then it never will. Too many players fail here. Its no coincidence.[/QUOTE]

I’m not suggesting he is but it would be nice to know. Having a player who’s seemingly fit but nowhere near the first team; something has gone badly wrong.

Phils-an-alki 14th January 2021 07.21:08

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2426315]I’m not suggesting he is but it would be nice to know. Having a player who’s seemingly fit but nowhere near the first team; something has gone badly wrong.[/QUOTE]

But he's just one of many. There's been loads of players brought in and never been given a sniff of a chance and/or used correctly.
Its because the club is run by amateurs who are wholly incompetent and pretty much every managerial appointment has been a failure and has led us to where we are today.

It'll take a good few years for the cub to recover anything from the wreckage the WST has created. Even with money.
The problem goes much deeper than a player with an alleged dodgy attitude. That happens at clubs all the time.

moynkeepthefaith 14th January 2021 07.32:11

15 starts including first 11 games last season and did little to inspire. Personally i see something in him and would probably allow the Cowleys (please please) to see if its time for motivation or exit. We owe him nothing.

redone 14th January 2021 07.35:50

any young player we sign with a bit of skill, plays 3/4 games out of the position hes always played, therefore hes not accustomed to it, looses confidence and his form goes, we dont sign any older players with skill, they wont come!! they can see its no good here if you are a footballer, management is wank

Alan Attack 14th January 2021 07.39:07

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2426317]But he's just one of many. There's been loads of players brought in and never been given a sniff of a chance and/or used correctly.
Its because the club is run by amateurs who are wholly incompetent and pretty much every managerial appointment has been a failure and has led us to where we are today.

It'll take a good few years for the cub to recover anything from the wreckage the WST has created. Even with money.
The problem goes much deeper than a player with an alleged dodgy attitude. That happens at clubs all the time.[/QUOTE]

Nothing a new manager and a few million won’t fix together with proper leadership off the field.

It’s a bit ironic really that when the Trust took over, there was a decent playing squad but the club was haemorrhaging money. Now the trust is selling up, they’re passing over the worst squad of players ever assembled but the balance sheet ain’t so bad (pre Covid).

I try and look for positives and the last 5 years has certainly been bereft of them but if the club had been run like a bag of shite financially then it’s improbable that R&R would be interested. Of course, I don’t know that for a fact but that’s what R&R said in their presentations...unless that was sucking up to Trust members!

harrypothead 14th January 2021 07.52:05

Out of every player in the squad Devonte is probably the most gifted and that is including Jarvis and Davies. Them three just named would and should walk into a team that was tactically more attacking. The issue we have is Keates and Darlington dont play attacking free flowing football, they keep it tight and defend and to be honest with you, they play a horrible tactic to watch. Before Keates we used to play the Wrexham way, we were a lot better to watch and played the game as it should be played. I hope that a new manager comes in and changes the style in which we play, so we are more attacking, play the ball on the floor, possession based team that makes things happen. Until that day happens, we will be watching a midfield of Harris and Young, both playing defensive midfield with no creativity at all, meaning our only hope is long ball over midfield into our strikers.

Keates has no idea and when he plays our creative midfielders he can only fit them in out wide. Probably our two best creative midfielders we have had whilst I was growing up were Peter Ward and Darren Ferguson, and both of them played in centre midfield.

So the answer to the question is its management choice, that's why our better players are not being put into the starting line up and we are watching crap football every week.

Alan Attack 14th January 2021 07.57:42

He’s the most gifted? How do you know? He might be.

Colonel D 14th January 2021 08.05:28

[QUOTE=harrypothead;2426326]Out of every player in the squad Devonte is probably the most gifted and that is including Jarvis and Davies. Them three just named would and should walk into a team that was tactically more attacking. The issue we have is Keates and Darlington dont play attacking free flowing football, they keep it tight and defend and to be honest with you, they play a horrible tactic to watch. Before Keates we used to play the Wrexham way, we were a lot better to watch and played the game as it should be played. I hope that a new manager comes in and changes the style in which we play, so we are more attacking, play the ball on the floor, possession based team that makes things happen. Until that day happens, we will be watching a midfield of Harris and Young, both playing defensive midfield with no creativity at all, meaning our only hope is long ball over midfield into our strikers.

Keates has no idea and when he plays our creative midfielders he can only fit them in out wide. Probably our two best creative midfielders we have had whilst I was growing up were Peter Ward and Darren Ferguson, and both of them played in centre midfield.

So the answer to the question is its management choice, that's why our better players are not being put into the starting line up and we are watching crap football every week.[/QUOTE]
He is a skilful player but avoids any form of physical contact such as tackles or headers , so in midfield he is a luxury we can’t afford.
If he was decent he would have been snapped up on loan by somebody.

moynkeepthefaith 14th January 2021 08.09:15

[QUOTE=harrypothead;2426326]Out of every player in the squad Devonte is probably the most gifted and that is including Jarvis and Davies. Them three just named would and should walk into a team that was tactically more attacking. The issue we have is Keates and Darlington dont play attacking free flowing football, they keep it tight and defend and to be honest with you, they play a horrible tactic to watch. Before Keates we used to play the Wrexham way, we were a lot better to watch and played the game as it should be played. I hope that a new manager comes in and changes the style in which we play, so we are more attacking, play the ball on the floor, possession based team that makes things happen. Until that day happens, we will be watching a midfield of Harris and Young, both playing defensive midfield with no creativity at all, meaning our only hope is long ball over midfield into our strikers.

So the answer to the question is its management choice, that's why our better players are not being put into the starting line up and we are watching crap football every week.[/QUOTE]

Gifted he may be but committed i never saw last season. I dont give a toss about tactics - you can want the ball and get it and i never saw that. As said i can only hope that a management structure that knows how to manage players and their ego's can get something from him otherwise get rid.

reggae boy 14th January 2021 08.39:23

[QUOTE=moynkeepthefaith;2426331]Gifted he may be but committed i never saw last season. I dont give a toss about tactics - you can want the ball and get it and i never saw that. As said i can only hope that a management structure that knows how to manage players and their ego's can get something from him otherwise get rid.[/QUOTE]

Get rid indeed,a disgraceful performance away v Chorley last season,he didn't even try

CRUMBS 14th January 2021 08.42:07

Well his father was enthusiastic on him joining , but seems he has no influence on his lads playing ability .

Redordead 14th January 2021 08.44:59

He’s probably still crying that Man Utd released him

[url]https://twitter.com/asticky1still/status/1343643360356085761?s=21[/url]

evilelfed 14th January 2021 08.54:05

It's not form why he has been dropped out of sight (if it was there a lot of other contenders).
He probably does not run enough in training. One rumour I heard is that if you don't run enough in training you don't get picked regardless of previous performance in actual games. DK is obsessed with stats and picks teams based on who has ran the furthest in training sessions.
Explains one particular regular!!
Another one is that he apparently he sends the squad on 12k runs on days before matches - if true I think it needs pointing out to DK that they are training for a ruddy football match not a marathon. Gary Bennett would have never got in a DK side.
I will emphasise that I have heard the above 3rd hand and cannot confirm if true - but it does explain a lot.

WREXHAM TID 14th January 2021 09.01:32

Its the chicken and the egg scenario for Redmond. The lower he plays the worse he looks as he isn't the type to throw himself into tackles and win headers. He also can't play on bad pitches and hoof ball.

He'd be much better suited to a league 1 side but if you aren't playing in the conference you don't get the moves up the leagues.

The first 5 mins of these highlights show you how good he could be: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5QbW3QWdTw&t=200s[/url]

LlayDragon 14th January 2021 09.09:43

[QUOTE=moynkeepthefaith;2426320]15 starts including first 11 games last season and did little to inspire. Personally i see something in him and would probably allow the Cowleys (please please) to see if its time for motivation or exit. We owe him nothing.[/QUOTE]

Managers and coaching make a massive difference to players, but ultimately something has to come from the player to engage with that.

Pride is something plenty of players seem to have lost in the modern game. You're right, we owe him nothing.

krux 14th January 2021 09.30:30

He's not good enough. Showed that last year.

Apart from that one game late on when I think he scored one and set up one
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

benwilliams 14th January 2021 09.40:27

[QUOTE=WREXHAM TID;2426346]Its the chicken and the egg scenario for Redmond. The lower he plays the worse he looks as he isn't the type to throw himself into tackles and win headers. He also can't play on bad pitches and hoof ball.

He'd be much better suited to a league 1 side but if you aren't playing in the conference you don't get the moves up the leagues.

The first 5 mins of these highlights show you how good he could be: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5QbW3QWdTw&t=200s[/url][/QUOTE]

I think there is something in this, maybe an attitude issue too but completely the wrong player for the level and tactics we are trying to play. I think he’d do ok abroad in a slower paced league

EnglishRed 14th January 2021 09.49:40

Hes a frustrating character because he's clearly got more than enough ability and should be an asset. Whether its his character, attitude or personality he just doesn't seem to fit. It might be that a new manager might be able to get the performances out of him, but I suspect he will ultimately be one to move on and be nothing more than a quiz question for us in the future.

Funny_Old_Game 14th January 2021 10.03:25

In fairness he’s a footballer, Keates doesn’t like those.

joe 14th January 2021 10.20:05

I rate him. He’ll do well at another club.

KT12 Exile 14th January 2021 10.29:50

We'll only know how good is he by how his career goes post Wrexham. If he starts pulling up trees elsewhere, we'll know he was another talented player wasted by poor coaching and management. If he plummets into lower league obscurity then it clearly wasn't meant to be and it can't really be blamed on us.

Sean Reckless 14th January 2021 10.29:52

Read an article somewhere where Rashford said the player he most admired was redmond. He's not a keats player though, too skillful and not a 'hard worker'. The right management and system to play in and he will do well

davewilli 14th January 2021 10.31:41

[QUOTE=joe;2426372]I rate him. He’ll do well at another club.[/QUOTE]

When DR has had his chances he hasn't impressed and has looked like he can only impose himself on a game if he is given a totally free role behind the striker(s) but even then he has struggled to get on the ball and make things happen. Durrell & Jarvis have looked better bets for that role but they haven't been consistent either so I guess currently the attacking midfield role is still very much up for grabs. DR would probaly benefit with a loan spell and is a victim of us not having a reserve team for him to find some confidence and form before being thrown into first team action.

Alan Attack 14th January 2021 10.35:27

[QUOTE=Sean Reckless;2426377]Read an article somewhere where Rashford said the player he most admired was redmond. He's not a keats player though, too skillful and not a 'hard worker'. The right management and system to play in and he will do well[/QUOTE]

I'm all for putting the boot into Keates however, if you want players in your team who are not going to put the requisite effort then we're going to continue to struggle.

It annoys me that too many players are giving an easy ride by supporters because it's easier to get at Dean Keates or Spencer Harris.

Again, it would be nice to know why Redmond is nowhere near the starting XI when so many fans have such a high opinion of him.

cynprifathro 14th January 2021 10.41:25

The manager needs to fully explain why a player is being paid not to play on a long term basis!

LlayDragon 14th January 2021 10.50:17

[QUOTE=Sean Reckless;2426377]Read an article somewhere where Rashford said the player he most admired was redmond. He's not a keats player though, too skillful and not a 'hard worker'. The right management and system to play in and he will do well[/QUOTE]

How many years ago did Rashford say that?

As I have said before I can't have more than a passing interest in the club whilst Keates and co remain, regardless of ownership.

Redmond has plumitted down the divisions, but I'm not convinced he's bottomed-out yet. Whether that would give him a kick up the arse or cause him to just drift out of the game remains to be seen.

KT12 Exile 14th January 2021 10.51:44

[QUOTE=cynprifathro;2426381]The manager needs to fully explain why a player is being paid not to play on a long term basis![/QUOTE]

While I'm not a fan of the manager or the club giving updates on every little thing, I do agree that it be good to hear Keates speak about Redmond. Given that he was a player who arrived to relative fanfare, to see him just seemingly disappear is really strange. The fact that we're struggling badly in the league (again) makes it more of a question to answer; if we were in the top 3, it wouldn't matter but given our position, you can't help but wonder 'would he really do any worse than the players we have playing at the moment'?

WrexhamO 14th January 2021 11.13:48

Whatever was the outcome of his transfer tribunal?

Cartman 14th January 2021 11.56:11

Journalists should have been asking about his absence for months

KT12 Exile 14th January 2021 12.00:06

[QUOTE=Cartman;2426410]Journalists should have been asking about his absence for months[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm just getting old and think that everything was 'better back in the day' but I swear that strong, quality journalism is a dying art now; so rarely seen. No-one seems to ask the tough questions anymore.

FieldtownRed 14th January 2021 12.26:45

[QUOTE=KT12 Exile;2426411]Maybe I'm just getting old and think that everything was 'better back in the day' but I swear that strong, quality journalism is a dying art now; so rarely seen. No-one seems to ask the tough questions anymore.[/QUOTE]

The local press are too busy interviewing ex-players for exclusive opinions about the takeover leading to exciting times for the club.....

petered 14th January 2021 12.48:59

[QUOTE=KT12 Exile;2426411]Maybe I'm just getting old and think that everything was 'better back in the day' but I swear that strong, quality journalism is a dying art now; so rarely seen. No-one seems to ask the tough questions anymore.[/QUOTE]

Afraid of offending people unfortunatley. We live in a world of snowflakes. Like I read last week,Trumpy boy has the code to nuclear weapons but is banned from Twitter because he upset some people. Crazy world.

moynkeepthefaith 14th January 2021 12.57:41

[QUOTE=petered;2426422]Afraid of offending people unfortunatley. We live in a world of snowflakes. Like I read last week,Trumpy boy has the code to nuclear weapons but is banned from Twitter because he upset some people. Crazy world.[/QUOTE]

If for you in sighting a riot where 4 people died can be seen as causing 'upset' I rest my case on my earlier comment on another thread.

KT12 Exile 14th January 2021 13.04:01

[QUOTE=petered;2426422]Afraid of offending people unfortunatley. We live in a world of snowflakes. Like I read last week,Trumpy boy has the code to nuclear weapons but is banned from Twitter because he upset some people. Crazy world.[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about wanting local press to ask Keates more pressing questions. The two are not remotely comparable. I don't know anyone who would be offended by a local rag asking Keates 'what's the situation with Devonte Redmond, given our creative struggles going forward, it's a surprise to see him getting no game time'.

moynkeepthefaith 14th January 2021 13.08:29

[QUOTE=KT12 Exile;2426426]I'm talking about wanting local press to ask Keates more pressing questions. The two are not remotely comparable. I don't know anyone who would be offended by a local rag asking Keates 'what's the situation with Devonte Redmond, given our creative struggles going forward, it's a surprise to see him getting no game time'.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 22.01:57.