Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th February 2021, 11.24:27   #28-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info)

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Funding from the National League part 2(or lack of)

From Lesley's latest newsletter:

At the end of January, the Wrexham Supporters Trust announced it had been informed Wrexham AFC would be excluded from the latest UK Government support helping sporting clubs deal with the ongoing impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

The decision meant Wrexham AFC would be the only club out of the 66 other National League members not to be eligible for support due to being located in Wales.

I do not want the club to slip through the cracks and after being contacted by constituents, I met with Wrexham AFC directors and made urgent representations to the Welsh Government, Sport England and the UK Government.

This week I received a response from the Welsh Government’s Deputy Minister for Culture, Sport and Tourism, Dafydd Elis-Thomas. The Deputy Minister confirmed the Welsh Government was unaware the club would not be entitled to support through Sport England via the UK Government’s Sports Winter Survival Package until after its own funding support was announced. The Welsh Government is currently assisting Wrexham AFC. Officials have contacted the club’s directors to gain a better understanding of the situation and hope to be able to highlight avenues of support that can be offered to the club.

I also wrote to Sport Wales who suggested contacting the Department for Digital, Culture Media and Sport. An urgent letter was sent to the Secretary of State, Oliver Dowden MP, on 3 February. As of today, I’ve yet to receive a response.

While it has been widely reported the recent takeover has improved the club’s financial outlook considerably, it is the principle of that matter that is important. Wrexham AFC is just as deserving of the financial support as any other National League club and shouldn’t miss out due to its geographical location.

It was quite clear when announcing the support, the UK Government stated all 66 clubs would benefit. The apparent implication was that this funding would support National League clubs and the fact Wrexham AFC is based in Wales did not appear to be an overriding factor.

I am grateful Welsh Government officials are actively engaging with the club and looking to find solutions and I await further information from the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, Oliver Dowden MP.
Old 27th February 2021, 12.01:48   #29-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Not far from draigwrecsam but not too close.

Has Wrexham’s Conservative MP made any representation to the Government in Westminster or is she even aware of this issue? I ask as I am sure the Right Wing Tory supporting posters on here would appreciate knowing if their pin up girl is doing her bit for the club.
Old 27th February 2021, 12.10:10   #30-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Any spare seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddy Dragon View Post
So you're happy with the £13.5 million of our money that the WRU get as opposed to the £1.5 million for soccer? There are more registared soccer than rugby players in Wales. The WRU had a turnover of £90 mllion in 2019!
What’s soccer?
Old 27th February 2021, 12.15:16   #31-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorporix View Post
From Lesley's latest newsletter:

At the end of January, the Wrexham Supporters Trust announced it had been informed Wrexham AFC would be excluded from the latest UK Government support helping sporting clubs deal with the ongoing impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

The decision meant Wrexham AFC would be the only club out of the 66 other National League members not to be eligible for support due to being located in Wales.

I do not want the club to slip through the cracks and after being contacted by constituents, I met with Wrexham AFC directors and made urgent representations to the Welsh Government, Sport England and the UK Government.

This week I received a response from the Welsh Government’s Deputy Minister for Culture, Sport and Tourism, Dafydd Elis-Thomas. The Deputy Minister confirmed the Welsh Government was unaware the club would not be entitled to support through Sport England via the UK Government’s Sports Winter Survival Package until after its own funding support was announced. The Welsh Government is currently assisting Wrexham AFC. Officials have contacted the club’s directors to gain a better understanding of the situation and hope to be able to highlight avenues of support that can be offered to the club.

I also wrote to Sport Wales who suggested contacting the Department for Digital, Culture Media and Sport. An urgent letter was sent to the Secretary of State, Oliver Dowden MP, on 3 February. As of today, I’ve yet to receive a response.

While it has been widely reported the recent takeover has improved the club’s financial outlook considerably, it is the principle of that matter that is important. Wrexham AFC is just as deserving of the financial support as any other National League club and shouldn’t miss out due to its geographical location.

It was quite clear when announcing the support, the UK Government stated all 66 clubs would benefit. The apparent implication was that this funding would support National League clubs and the fact Wrexham AFC is based in Wales did not appear to be an overriding factor.

I am grateful Welsh Government officials are actively engaging with the club and looking to find solutions and I await further information from the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, Oliver Dowden MP.

Garbage yet again - Sort the Welsh Health Service Management out first !!!!!
why should I and my taxes prop up a multimillionaire owned club ?? when there are more pressing needs. Utter garbage.
Old 27th February 2021, 12.17:41   #32-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Pathetic View Post
Has Wrexham’s Conservative MP made any representation to the Government in Westminster or is she even aware of this issue? I ask as I am sure the Right Wing Tory supporting posters on here would appreciate knowing if their pin up girl is doing her bit for the club.
I hope the Conservatives concentrate on sorting the Covid crisis and economic fall out and not prop up multi million pound owned businesses.
Old 27th February 2021, 12.30:58   #33-0 (permalink)
-

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewi ogwen View Post
Nice to see someone asking the right questions on our behalf. I wonder if our MP could send a similar letter to the UK Culture Secretary and Sport England to clarify why we aren't eligible for funding.
Our MP not interested one bit,
Old 27th February 2021, 12.53:28   #34-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

Racecourse Spot: Upper Yale stand, town end

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler View Post
She's a Tory. She's only interested in herself.
Old 27th February 2021, 12.55:45   #35-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Yale stand centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler View Post
Evidence?
Old 27th February 2021, 22.14:00   #36-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Yale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Left View Post
I hope the Conservatives concentrate on sorting the Covid crisis and economic fall out and not prop up multi million pound owned businesses.
It's a good job they haven't propped up any multi million pound businesses in wrexham.

Wetherspoon's must have cleared 100k in grants alone in Wrexham. Same with sports direct. New look must be over 50k. marstons 100k plus. Coop 100k plus. Argos 100k plus. Premier Inn 100k plus, travelodge 50k.pizza hut 50k McDonalds 50k KFC 50k burger king 35k boots 100k, Barclays 35k, shell 100k, bp 100k and so on.

But it's okay none of them are multi million pound businesses.

Last edited by TheRealWelshWayne; 27th February 2021 at 22.26:35..
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 01.04:43.