Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20th May 2021, 10.24:22   #37-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: "Keates Has Earned His Shot at Next Season"

As one of the many who didn't want DK back purely because his style of football does not give me the pleasure many other managers have in the past (Neal, Flynn, Smith too name a few) if a miracle happens and we do go up then I think he should be given a chance, albeit with a short term contract. If he did stay, however I would put Davies back to youth football (he didn't do too bad there in the past) and bring in a new assistant, someone with the knowledge and skill to take us forward playing entertaining football.
Old 20th May 2021, 10.26:38   #38-0 (permalink)
ABd
Legend

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Bricked it when I saw the thread title, thought it was some sort of official statement. I'm sure most people thought the same. Which just goes to show why we need a change.

I've said it before, it doesn't make sense to pay big money to get the best in terms of CEO, stadium architects etc only to stick with a management team appointed by the WST twice.

Obviously we're thinking about the teams prospects, but in terms of the documentary the manager is going to be one of the 'main characters' - Keates just doesn't fit what you'd want for that at all.
Old 20th May 2021, 10.30:30   #39-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn Tirion View Post
Well I wish I hadn’t read that! At least I know who Keates’ agent is now.

People are talking about 8,0000 crowds next season with 5,000 season ticket holders. Does anybody really believe that would happen with Keates as manager with his boring negative football?

I haven’t been since he came back (I know, I’m not a true fan I hear you say). I was planning to go to games next season if a new manager and coaching team are in place with the hope and expectation of seeing some half decent football.

And remember, if Keates is kept on, those tactical geniuses Davies and Dario will be as well. Just imagine that.
If we are top we will get the crowds careless who is in charge.
Old 20th May 2021, 10.31:24   #40-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: mrs

When is Keates contract up for renewal?
Old 20th May 2021, 10.32:34   #41-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: MRS Near Kop end

Things will be very different at this club now...No more Directors looking the other way whilst the fans are watching anti football...
Whoever the manager is, will have to get it right, or be gone..

Will they give Keates a chance. Well ,if the new CEO has been watching the streams, particularly the ones against promotion rivals, there'll certainly be some concern..
Old 20th May 2021, 10.33:30   #42-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: yale paddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1954 View Post
when is keates contract up for renewal?
2027 😂😂😂
Old 20th May 2021, 10.35:53   #43-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldtownRed View Post
https://wrexhamfan.wordpress.com/202...t-next-season/

...mainly it appears because he's not as bad as Bryan Hughes.

Please God, No!
"repurposed Jordan Davies.." seriously? Maybe he just stopped playing him out of position
Old 20th May 2021, 10.44:01   #44-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

(info)

Racecourse Spot: mold road

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisleftboot View Post
Ok, just try not to get too disappointed when he’s given a new contract.

From the outside, to anybody other than Wrexham fans, he’s done a decent job with an average budget. If I was CEO, I would be careful not to upset what is evidence of progression.

I’ve never been Keates in btw.
I've not read all the posts, but this is about right, progress has been made and the new owners may not want to rip it up and start again. The jury will still possibly be out waiting to see the final placings to complete a full assessment including numberous other factors involved.

If the WST were still in charge I would be beating the drum to keep Keates, arguing the club is crying out for stability after so much manager and player upheaval and where that got us. Maybe with our new found wealth this may not be as important, with the expected resources available to strengthen and add quality to the squad but sooner or later we need to give a manager time as well as resources.

Only this season's performance is relevant at the end of the day but Keates has turned a poor, struggling squad into play off contenders twice so has at least staked a claim. The fact he left for Walsall is also irrelevant, that's the name of the game and equally if he isn't successful the club wouldn't think twice before getting rid.
Old 20th May 2021, 10.44:52   #45-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale/Wrexham Lager Stand Centre Section

An interesting article, which mixes opinion with facts with a sleight of hand any amateur magician would be proud to copy at a WST fundraiser.

Keates has achieved more than many of us had predicted, but could he have done better with the meagre resources Griffiths asserts he was given? Most would say yes.

His player recruitment has been mixed. Jeffreys, Yussuf and Durrell were hardly star signings, were they. He also retained too many average players when their combined salaries would have paid for the necessary midfield general we have missed all season. Does he really have the contacts within football? I am not too sure.

We wanted to watch attractive, entertaining and successful football, but the first 2 elements have been beyond us all season. Instead, we witness ‘hoofball’ not football. The minimum objective was to make the POs: something we should do despite Tuesday’s disappointing defeat to fellow promotion hopefuls, Notts County. However, let’s not forget that the WST’s aim was promotion via the POs. Again that is achievable but the likelihood is looking slim. We simply cannot beat the better teams consistently, hence why we are still in a battle to finish in either 6th or 7th place.

Mark Griffiths is entitled to his opinions and, to be fair to him, he has consistently backed our club, the WST and Dean Keates. There is merit in such loyalty, albeit blind-loyalty achieves little and often allows mediocrity to fester.

Ultimately, the decision on who will manage us next season will be down to the newcomers to our club. They have a difficult task ahead of them, but they at least know what they want, and what resources we will have available. The custodians’ aim seems to be to progress the club in front of a full stadium. Could Keates deliver that ambition? I am far from convinced he can, and would be disappointed and frustrated if he were reappointed. However, would it stop me renewing my ST? Almost certainly not.

Good luck to the CEO. Please don’t try to please everyone, because you will not succeed. Stick to the brief, and do what is best and right for Wrexham AFC; not just for next season, but for the ones back in the EFL after next.

Here is to a long, hot summer; one in which COVID slips back to the boundaries as in a game of village cricket, with the thwack of leather on willow or bamboo!

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 23.29:47.