Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th October 2021, 16.19:26   #91-0 (permalink)
-

Racecourse Spot: yale stand
Twitter: @

Default Re: Potential New Kop by Mar-24

yes quite right Billy and i was one of all those average attendances, when i told my mate that our first home game of the 77/78 season was down to about 3500, following the failure to go up 76/77 with very good attendances especially to the end, he was quite taken aback, if memory serves it was only in October as results improved that attendances did to bolstered by the start of two good cup runs.
However looking at attendances over the last decade even while in the wilderness we havebeen the best or next to best attended team give or take, the interest the takeover has created has manifested huge interest and support even though we are still in the wilderness, there is a huge fan base that is hungry for success, i realise that history shows the fans may turn away if things do not go right but at the moment there is backers we have never had before, there is a better chance of sustained growth, or at least there is in my dreams
Old 14th October 2021, 16.21:42   #92-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Left View Post
The clinker I have refered to came from The gasworks on Rivulet Rd. It was a material that could be sharp to the touch and cut you and I believe was the result of the Gas manufacturing process.
Examples of it are still around the area as it was used to build rough walls. Any one from Hightown will recall the play area at Gatefield being made up of Clinker.
The gasworks at Rivulet Road are long gone, all that's on site now is a modern above ground installation (AGI) that's controlling pressures for the local area. A Medium Pressure feed comes round the back past Lidl and across the old gasworks site and is stepped down in the AGI for local homes and businesses.

Few years ago what was left on site was drastically rationalised and remediated, and land handed over to Wales and West Housing for development (no relationship to Wales & West Utilities who inherited the old works at Rivulet Road.) The gas that used to be stored in the holders on Rivulet Road is now 'linepacked' in the pipes instead.

Clinker is the left over of the burned fuel from the retort ovens within which the coal is gassified - will have included all sorts including coke, grit, charcoal, slag etc. Not an issue from a contamination perspective itself, but will be interesting to see what else is down there!

If you're really in to local industrial history, it's worth trying to figure out the location of the first gasworks in Wrexham - Willows Works. Lots of suggestions, not much hard evidence. My best guess (and I believe the guess of the current owners of the gas network in this area) based on the historical record and some of the on site walls is opposite the Tuttle Street car park on the other side of St Giles Way, but there is literally no engineering in the ground suggesting that anything of that scale was ever built there - no pipes, for eg.

Last edited by NewportRoadEnd; 14th October 2021 at 16.27:01..
Old 14th October 2021, 16.25:24   #93-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonspark View Post
yes quite right Billy and i was one of all those average attendances, when i told my mate that our first home game of the 77/78 season was down to about 3500, following the failure to go up 76/77 with very good attendances especially to the end, he was quite taken aback, if memory serves it was only in October as results improved that attendances did to bolstered by the start of two good cup runs.
However looking at attendances over the last decade even while in the wilderness we havebeen the best or next to best attended team give or take, the interest the takeover has created has manifested huge interest and support even though we are still in the wilderness, there is a huge fan base that is hungry for success, i realise that history shows the fans may turn away if things do not go right but at the moment there is backers we have never had before, there is a better chance of sustained growth, or at least there is in my dreams
Well said Dragonpark Enjoy the ride.
Old 14th October 2021, 17.24:16   #94-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

I went to my first Wrexham match with my uncle around 1947 at the age of 8. We used to enter via the Crispen Lane entrance and then made our way up the back of the cop. If memory serves me right I remember it as has been alluded to already (clinker), If, as it has been explained, clinker could well be not contaminated there may be not as many problems as many think.
Old 14th October 2021, 18.22:40   #95-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonspark View Post
theres a big lump of soil there on the kop, where the hell are they going to put that
Mullin Mound or Hyde Hill.

We're going all posh, like the tennis at Wimbledon.

Strawberries & Cream for £1.00!!
Old 14th October 2021, 18.50:14   #96-0 (permalink)
-

Racecourse Spot: yale stand

well heres to hoping there is no or little contamination, still going to need one hell of a hole to put it all in
Old 14th October 2021, 19.24:11   #97-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportRoadEnd View Post
The gasworks at Rivulet Road are long gone, all that's on site now is a modern above ground installation (AGI) that's controlling pressures for the local area. A Medium Pressure feed comes round the back past Lidl and across the old gasworks site and is stepped down in the AGI for local homes and businesses.

Few years ago what was left on site was drastically rationalised and remediated, and land handed over to Wales and West Housing for development (no relationship to Wales & West Utilities who inherited the old works at Rivulet Road.) The gas that used to be stored in the holders on Rivulet Road is now 'linepacked' in the pipes instead.

Clinker is the left over of the burned fuel from the retort ovens within which the coal is gassified - will have included all sorts including coke, grit, charcoal, slag etc. Not an issue from a contamination perspective itself, but will be interesting to see what else is down there!

If you're really in to local industrial history, it's worth trying to figure out the location of the first gasworks in Wrexham - Willows Works. Lots of suggestions, not much hard evidence. My best guess (and I believe the guess of the current owners of the gas network in this area) based on the historical record and some of the on site walls is opposite the Tuttle Street car park on the other side of St Giles Way, but there is literally no engineering in the ground suggesting that anything of that scale was ever built there - no pipes, for eg.
Thanks for all that Newport. Yes I have always had a keen interest in local history and having been brought up a few hundred yards from the Willow Bridge have looked (in an Amateur way) into the area.
The 1874 mapping of the surrounds of Willow Brewery show the towns ,probable first gasometer, being to the rear of the recently demolished Musical Theatre building up an entry off Salop Rd. The gasometer being on the sunny banks of bright blue Gwenfro. Its gas lit the new Willow Brewery as well as a number of street lights in the town. Sorry I am rambling again. Before we know we will be discussing the Willow incinerator. and towns electrics
Old 14th October 2021, 20.09:53   #98-0 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Thanks for all that Newport. Yes I have always had a keen interest in local history and having been brought up a few hundred yards from the Willow Bridge have looked (in an Amateur way) into the area.
The 1874 mapping of the surrounds of Willow Brewery show the towns ,probable first gasometer, being to the rear of the recently demolished Musical Theatre building up an entry off Salop Rd. The gasometer being on the sunny banks of bright blue Gwenfro. Its gas lit the new Willow Brewery as well as a number of street lights in the town. Sorry I am rambling again. Before we know we will be discussing the Willow incinerator. and towns electrics
Interesting...from memory, the last time I discussed this with a gas historian (they exist!) his take was that there was no evidence of the initial gas holder ever being built there other than unreliable mapping...certainly there probably remains more pipes in the ground in that part of the town than you'd know what to do with, so unpicking the truth from the morrass of wood, spun and cast iron and pot mains in that area would be a challenge.
Old 15th October 2021, 01.23:04   #99-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:

I think that it may have been the second gasometer Inside Left, or at least the gasometer you refer too was built at the second gasworks in the town, with the first being built a short distance away; although I am not able to give a precise location, at present.

Two chimneys at the gas works were blown down in a hurricane due to a storm which hit the uk on January 6th&7th 1839.

https://www.google.fr/books/edition/...sec=frontcover

The streets were lit with gas from 1837 ‘at least’

https://www.google.fr/books/edition/...sec=frontcover

A public meeting of the ratepayers association at the town hall in 1869 discussed the possibility of building a new gas works in the hope of producing cheaper gas for the townsfolk, and during that meeting, Dr Thomas Eyton Jones (father of Thomas Eyton Jones of Wrexham AFC) recalled the prices of gas from the present gas company, dating back to 1840.
A Counsellor Rymer then took to the floor and stated “the present works were established on a very small scale when the requirements of the town were very different to what they are now. The present company bought those works and although they were removed a little distance from the old site, they were not made adequate to the growing wants of the town”.
And so, as Eyton Jones had quoted the price of gas from the present gas company back to 1840, then it is possible that they bought the old works when the chimneys were blown down in January 1839 and relocated to a nearby site where they built a new gas works to start selling gas, using the existing mains in 1840.

https://newspapers.library.wales/vie...44/4583249/24/

Additionally, back in 1859, there was a letter to the editor of the Advertiser which stated that ‘many would recall the time past when issues were caused by quicksand when a tank for the gasometer was built at the gasworks’.
https://newspapers.library.wales/vie...82/4587285/13/

Last edited by eastsussex; 15th October 2021 at 01.33:51..
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 02.03:38.