Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5th September 2021, 08.33:35   #109-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Southend Verdict

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwilliams View Post
I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think 10 new signings are immediately going to knit together and win every match in a league we've struggled in for 14 years
Posted via mobile theme
I don't expect to win every game, the issue I have is we've been on the back foot (in scoreline) in both the previous matches, at what point will the quality become too much for National League players? I know it's a lot really early, but we've never had this level of investment and for what we've put into this season being a success were making slightly hard work of it. I'm so grateful for what RR have done for the club, last thing I want is for them to have to go back into their wallets if the players we have here don't work out.

I know I've said before on Tozer but £200,000 is a lot of money for a 31 year old, he has no resale value. That £200,000 is for what he can bring to the table immediately. We need clean sheets, he needs to inspire the ones around them to get them.
Old 5th September 2021, 08.39:00   #110-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmedwards View Post
If Hayden had better distribution he’d be in upper L1/lower Champ
From what I've seen of Hayden, I thought he had a below par game with his passing, not helped by little presence on the right hand side of the midfield.
Defence were generally lacking yesterday and we have conceded the first goal in the same way as we went behind against Notts County. Left Centre back found wanting,
Still lacking positive movement in the middle of the park. Davies seems to be targeted by the opposition for some rather crude tackles.
Happy with the point after being 2 down but we need to be putting a 100% game in, week in week out. Early days yet and much to look forward to. This wrexham team certainly keep you on the edge of your seat and we've had some decent games to watch.
Old 5th September 2021, 08.39:11   #111-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Feeling optimistic this morning of it wasnt for a dodgy offside against NC and not letting the overtime goal at Solihull we would be top. Just wait until the team starts playing consistently well
Old 5th September 2021, 08.42:36   #112-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale/Wrexham Lager Stand Centre Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parry52 View Post
I don't expect to win every game, the issue I have is we've been on the back foot (in scoreline) in both the previous matches, at what point will the quality become too much for National League players? I know it's a lot really early, but we've never had this level of investment and for what we've put into this season being a success were making slightly hard work of it. I'm so grateful for what RR have done for the club, last thing I want is for them to have to go back into their wallets if the players we have here don't work out.

I know I've said before on Tozer but £200,000 is a lot of money for a 31 year old, he has no resale value. That £200,000 is for what he can bring to the table immediately. We need clean sheets, he needs to inspire the ones around them to get them.
Your point about Tozer's responsibility is a fair one. It would seem likely that we will chop-and-change the LCB position because of Lennon's lack of full match fitness, which makes it difficult to learn everyone's strengths and weaknesses. I got the impression our biggest weakness was between Lennon and Reckord, which needs addressing.

Furthermore, Tozer's long throw-ins are not producing much at the moment. In fact, they leave us susceptible to a quick counter-attack. They need to be used better and less often, otherwise it will be easier for teams to set up, as most teams have big defenders to counter the aerial threat. Keeping the ball on the floor and moving it more quickly, might be a better option, with the occasional long throw to keep them on their toes.

Looking forward to seeing the Woking game, when we should be better able to gauge our issues. Woking will be tough opponents after 2 away wins, but we must be beating teams like them if we are to progress.

Last edited by Prodigal Dragon; 5th September 2021 at 08.43:42..
Old 5th September 2021, 08.44:58   #113-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Wrexrent Stand

Regarding the official away attendance being given as 581, I've just watched a video put up on YouTube by a Southend fan, and the away stand is more than half full. That stand holds over 2,000 apparently!! Then I read this on the Southend fans forum, which explains it all...

"I work at the ground and apparently there was definitely over a thousand of your fans there but many entered the ground in a rush before the game and loads didn't have their tickets scanned as it seems they were just waved through the gates to ensure entry before kick off."
Old 5th September 2021, 08.51:19   #114-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Pop View Post
Regarding the official away attendance being given as 581, I've just watched a video put up on YouTube by a Southend fan, and the away stand is more than half full. That stand holds over 2,000 apparently!! Then I read this on the Southend fans forum, which explains it all...

"I work at the ground and apparently there was definitely over a thousand of your fans there but many entered the ground in a rush before the game and loads didn't have their tickets scanned as it seems they were just waved through the gates to ensure entry before kick off."
Figures for Numbers of tickets sold are logged, not official number of fans through the gate. There were loads of empty seats even amongst the main body of Wrexham fans. The support was still amazing no matter how many fans were there.
Old 5th September 2021, 08.51:33   #115-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny_Old_Game View Post
Lainton so indecisive for the second goal. If that's Dibble we hammer him.

Also looked like Hayden was sleeping, otherwise how on earth did one punt result in Murphy getting clear like that?
Agreed, thought the same. Both goals went straight through him. Did think that in a one on one situation I'd prefer Dibble.

Also thought when Lainton fielded a soft shot straight at him, if that had been Dibble he'd have spilled it.

Thought Steve Arnold looked decent . Came and caught the long throws to take pressure off the defence and set their first up through that.

A couple of times our defence were undone by a straight ball over the top, which was disappointing, but overall that was a decent comeback against a Southend team that seemed to raise their game.

Thought James Jones looked decent, Davies lightweight and can't remember Young doing much to be honest.

Really missed Mullin. Hyde and Angus looked like a pair that had never played together and Hyde looked to be frustrated with the situation.

I was expecting big things and we didn't deliver today, but on the up side, having gone 2-0 down to get a point was fantastic (last year even at 1-0 down we would have been looking at a defeat, let alone 2)and during that little period we showed what we are capable of.

Onward and upward !!
Old 5th September 2021, 08.57:40   #116-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parry52 View Post

Why worry about the transfer fee, unless it’s stopped us investing elsewhere it is of little issue to me. I also don’t think we should feel uncomfortable about our owners needing to reinvest. I don’t think they are naive enough to think they wave a wand and everything will be sorted instantly, it’s an ongoing process. Even the best richest clubs have signings that don’t work out.

I’m pretty confident we will get a play off position and be very competitive, I think winning the league will be very tough. That’s progress and while I hope we do it this season, I accept the chance it may take longer, but we will get there.

We have replaced Harris and Rutherford for D and J Jones and while an upgrade. I’m not convinced enough to win the league considering how often the midfield were dominated last season. If you are playing 3 in midfield you are probably going to get 5 getting decent game time (Barrett and Thomas played 50 games between them when last promoted) and we look one short to me.
Old 5th September 2021, 09.11:02   #117-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Wrexrent Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quay Red View Post
Figures for Numbers of tickets sold are logged, not official number of fans through the gate. There were loads of empty seats even amongst the main body of Wrexham fans. The support was still amazing no matter how many fans were there.
I'm not going to argue with someone who was obviously there, but I find it very hard to believe that there was only 581 there, after seeing the video footage.

That stand holds 2200, apparently, meaning that it was just over a quarter full.

Anyway, here is the video in question. Scroll forward to 11 minutes and see what you think...

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 13.12:26.