Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th September 2021, 16.52:58   #37-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Away support back in the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXMWELSH85 View Post
Has an Away team ever used to Kop or part of the it - i cant recall in my 33 years watching!
yes as stated the fans used to swap ends at half time, that's when the fighting started.
Old 9th September 2021, 16.57:05   #38-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: MRS

I also remember away fans sitting in the top tier, and the lower tier being standing for home fans in the very early 90s
Old 9th September 2021, 17.07:01   #39-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybersham View Post
Was that the game when the Sunderland fans were on the pitch celebrating promotion and was it Stoke who scored a late goal to go up instead of Sunderland.
What a day that was! The Sunderland fans didn't take too kindly to us on the Kop taking the piss and headed straight for us - fortunately the fences were still in place, and it was before the ground level was raised, so when they got on the fence they realised they had a 10 - 12 foot drop the other side. Ended up a bit like the Foinavon fence at Aintree
Must admit I broke all records heading for home along Crispin Lane though!
Old 9th September 2021, 17.11:06   #40-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewelyn View Post
The Kop was full with Hereford that day ,not that they were given it just took it, i walked in last minute not realising I was 1 of very few if any wrexham supporters on the kop, didn't escape scot free.
The Hereford fans definitely occupied the central area under the Pigeon loft, with Wrexham fans fuming and plotting revenge attacks from the periphery. I think it calmed down second half.
Old 9th September 2021, 17.15:51   #41-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai Robin View Post
First time I can remember the Kop being taken over was 26th September 1970 when Aston Villa beat us 3-2 in a League Division 3 match. The attendance was 18,335.
Still have nightmares about that day. In the Friday Leader the police appealed for home fans to get to the ground as early as possible so they could deal with the large following expected from the Villa. Half a dozen of us got in the ground at 2:00 & walked up the bank onto the Kop to discover there was only us and about 2,000 Villa skinheads who'd been rounded up and were just roaming around the ground (no segregation in those days)! Squeaky bum time to say the least
Old 9th September 2021, 17.27:28   #42-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: ERS/GUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whead View Post
I also remember away fans sitting in the top tier, and the lower tier being standing for home fans in the very early 90s
Remember this as well, have a memory of getting pelted with coins by Bury fans above us
Old 9th September 2021, 17.57:16   #43-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: MRS P114
Twitter: @@daiwxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy vere View Post
Bob ?
Bob Techend
Old 9th September 2021, 18.04:52   #44-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Pop View Post
Yes. We were playing Peterborough and Preston fans occupied the whole of the Mold Road paddock. Peterborough needed to win to go up instead of Preston.

The game ended 0-0 and Wrexham and Preston fans were celebrating on the pitch together.
It was all "peace and love" with PNE that year, but within a couple of years they were back and decided to pile into the terracing at the back (next to programme shop) under the Busfield Stand. Unfortunately they didn't realise that it was easy to get in there, but practically impossible to get back out again.
Old 9th September 2021, 18.09:20   #45-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Mold road stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by techender View Post
The only one I can think of was Middlesborough when we played them in the cup in the early 70s. The game Smallman scored the winner. I think they had the kop given to them.
Definitely not Tech, I was front row Bushfield, kop was wrexham

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.29:49.