RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Away support back in the day (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/118225-away-support-back-day.html)

Sir Crispin Lane 9th September 2021 11.25:20

Away support back in the day

All this talk of the university end being reopened has made me wonder where away fans that wanted to sit years ago were catered for . In my time of watching wxm from the mid 80’s they were always given the whole of that end which was both the terrace and the seating above but before the stand was opened , where did they put away fans that wanted to sit ? The old mold road stand ?

daiwxm 9th September 2021 11.33:19

Re: Away support back in the day

I remember fans swapping ends in the 60s and early 70s - not very pleasant at times when we met in the middle of the old terrace. Think away fans were given the old tech end following the redevelopment of the ground in the late 70s

WXMWELSH85 9th September 2021 11.37:09

Has an Away team ever used to Kop or part of the it - i cant recall in my 33 years watching!

Iggy Pop 9th September 2021 11.46:18

[QUOTE=WXMWELSH85;2512105]Has an Away team ever used to Kop or part of the it - i cant recall in my 33 years watching![/QUOTE]

Hereford in 1976? Could be an urban myth though because I didn't go to that one.

Bushfield Stand 9th September 2021 11.48:07

[QUOTE=daiwxm;2512103]I remember fans swapping ends in the 60s and early 70s - not very pleasant at times when we met in the middle of the old terrace. Think away fans were given the old tech end following the redevelopment of the ground in the late 70s[/QUOTE]

Rolling back the years there Dai, always thought of Port Vale and Bradford Park Avenue games as the ones when you were almost certain to get a clack :)

Wrexham's Patrick Bateman 9th September 2021 11.48:25

[QUOTE=daiwxm;2512103]I remember fans swapping ends in the 60s and early 70s - not very pleasant at times when we met in the middle of the old terrace. Think away fans were given the old tech end following the redevelopment of the ground in the late 70s[/QUOTE]

They were.. Ànd consequently, often, thanks to the accoustic effects, often outshouted the rest of the ground..

Hightown Brymbo Red 9th September 2021 11.59:18

[QUOTE=WXMWELSH85;2512105]Has an Away team ever used to Kop or part of the it - i cant recall in my 33 years watching![/QUOTE]

Technically yes as at one time you could walk around the ground and swap ends. And the tech end was very popular and made more noise than the Kop so home fans congregated there and Kop became away end

moynkeepthefaith 9th September 2021 11.59:22

[QUOTE=Iggy Pop;2512109]Hereford in 1976? Could be an urban myth though because I didn't go to that one.[/QUOTE]

No chance.

rexham 9th September 2021 12.28:26

The Uni stand opened around 78/79 as I recall - have graphic memory of sitting there when Mel Sutton scored in that end to beat Newcastle in the old Division 2. Can't recall where the geordies were though

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 19.46:40.