RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Buy big or we stay where we are...!! (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/118292-buy-big-we-stay-where-we.html)

Conwy Rebel 15th September 2021 05.23:26

Buy big or we stay where we are...!!

Our general disappointment about not signing additional players has firmly come home to roost already. Needless to say we have to buy big at the next transfer window or no way we are getting promoted.

Our midfield desperately needs shoring up with a general or two who can pass and see the game strategically and we need more skilled attacking minded wingers/and another big experienced/fast defender.

WREX01 15th September 2021 05.37:01

Re: Buy big or we stay where we are...!!

2 top midfielders required. Jones/ Davies to play with them. Young and D Jones as back up.

Bin off Redmond and Jarvis.

1 free agent could see us through until Jan ( Butterfield)

louisleftboot 15th September 2021 05.53:37

At the same time, what other promoted teams are spending £200k+ on players. Maybe some decent tactics and not wasting time on players like Redmond.

Did Sutton spend £1m on transfer fees?

dragonspark 15th September 2021 06.27:33

agree that spending big money may not be the answer but in the three games ive seen, while there is definately quality there are definate inadequacies too

krux 15th September 2021 07.05:16

I don’t think we need to spend big. We just need a couple of standard proven conference types.

cardiffred 15th September 2021 07.14:53

We'll be in the top 4 with this squad. A difficult start while the squad are still bedding in.

redavid 15th September 2021 07.26:03

[QUOTE=cardiffred;2515442]We'll be in the top 4 with this squad. A difficult start while the squad are still bedding in.[/QUOTE]

agree , already played some of our rivals , theres no panic.

LlayDragon 15th September 2021 07.29:45

[QUOTE=krux;2515435]I don’t think we need to spend big. We just need a couple of standard proven conference types.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

A superstar to control midfield would be great. , but all we really need is someone who can protect the defence and do the dog work competently. The fancier stuff can be left to others.

Redordead 15th September 2021 07.30:53

Look at Forest Green and Salford both spent big and won the playoffs.

Yes the midfield needs improving, but let’s not lose our shit after 6 matches in. We will lose more along the way.

Funny_Old_Game 15th September 2021 07.34:23

[QUOTE=LlayDragon;2515450]Indeed.

A superstar to control midfield would be great. , but all we really need is someone who can protect the defence and do the dog work competently. The fancier stuff can be left to others.[/QUOTE]

We just need an experienced and competent Conference ball-winner. Kyle Storer or the like. Nothing fancy or crazy wages, just someone like that would help this team function so well.

It's like Real Madrid with Makelele, what's the point in an extra layer of gold paint on the Bentley if you've got no engine in it.

chef1 15th September 2021 07.49:41

After witnessing last night redmond can never play again, we literally had no midfield and spent all game hoofing it to the front 2 it was painful to watch . Mullin and Hyde need service they are not getting it

El Jonez 15th September 2021 08.12:07

[QUOTE=louisleftboot;2515427]At the same time, what other promoted teams are spending £200k+ on players. Maybe some decent tactics and not wasting time on players like Redmond.

Did Sutton spend £1m on transfer fees?[/QUOTE]

Great that we're in the game (FIFA 22), we have our own home and away gin, documentary, electronic advertising boards and much more...

But we need:-

A proper midfield (sign one or both of Huws, Butterfield and get them match fit)
PP to grow a pair and drop the erratic Luke Young and give Tozer the armband
Sign a new target man for the bench (nothing up top once again when Hyde went off)

DenbighRed 15th September 2021 08.23:46

Buy big or stay where we are?

What do you think we've been doing all summer? We've probably shelled out more on transfer fees than any club outside the Championship.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Getting out of this league will be the hardest part in many respects, but you can't accuse us of not spending big so far.

rncfc 15th September 2021 08.28:31

I reckon if you give Tozer a pay rise that should sort you out. Just need to incentivise the players you have already wasted money on.

Sussex Red 15th September 2021 08.34:35

I think people need a little bit of patience. We weren't ever going to walk the league and the new players need time to settle and grow together.

We've already spent big and it is coming together. I'd rather PP see those who aren't up to it in these early games before we get to the hard slog of Christmas and beyond.

Wxm boy 15th September 2021 08.49:25

[QUOTE=cardiffred;2515442]We'll be in the top 4 with this squad. A difficult start while the squad are still bedding in.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, difficult start. 1 loss in 6 games, 4 away isn't a disaster. We get a good run of games after Chesterfield, get some wins and things can change quickly.

We were never walking this league, Salford only got play offs when they were splashing the cash. I expect we'll be similar.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

jonesfach 15th September 2021 09.04:30

[QUOTE=Sussex Red;2515474]I think people need a little bit of patience. We weren't ever going to walk the league and the new players need time to settle and grow together.

We've already spent big and it is coming together. I'd rather PP see those who aren't up to it in these early games before we get to the hard slog of Christmas and beyond.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. No need to panic and let’s not forget every team is raising their game when they play us. Southend for example...

Alan Attack 15th September 2021 09.04:55

This is exactly the point in time where supporters need to hold their nerve.

rncfc 15th September 2021 09.06:56

Fear not, if Grimsby continues to pull away from you in the table, just buy it.

-luke 15th September 2021 09.12:20

[QUOTE=Wxm boy;2515478]Agreed, difficult start. 1 loss in 6 games, 4 away isn't a disaster. We get a good run of games after Chesterfield, get some wins and things can change quickly.

We were never walking this league, Salford only got play offs when they were splashing the cash. I expect we'll be similar.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

Unrealistic expectations preceeding reality kicking in for many... This season the league is competitive as I've ever seen it, with a number of fantastic clubs who will all be challenging. Last night I was hugely dissapointed but the league wasn't won or lost based on last night's result. We definitely do need to strengthen in midfield and make some tough calls about who plays and who doesn't. It's a bit odd that we couldn't bring someone in during transfer window too...

I'd really love our fans to stop being so negative...all well and good claiming having big attendances makes us a top club (it doesn't) but having a big fanbase who constantly complain is counterproductive.

Lesjonno 15th September 2021 09.24:18

For me it seems we just need more grit and determination and a midfielder with those qualities. Seem to be concentrating on pretty technical football which is nice when it comes off, but too often we got caught out trying to play it out from the back and losing possession. Grimsby pressed harder than us and had more drive and energy and deserved their win. It’s not just a matter of buying a midfielder with technical ability.

ozzy red 15th September 2021 09.24:52

[QUOTE=Conwy Rebel;2515422]Our general disappointment about not signing additional players has firmly come home to roost already. Needless to say we have to buy big at the next transfer window or no way we are getting promoted.

Our midfield desperately needs shoring up with a general or two who can pass and see the game strategically and we need more skilled attacking minded wingers/and another big experienced/fast defender.[/QUOTE]

We lose and its the end of the world, win next week and we are championship contenders.

All for passion, but a little maturity and intelligence wouldn't go astray.

Back of the Kop 15th September 2021 09.25:45

[QUOTE=rncfc;2515487]Fear not, if Grimsby continues to pull away from you in the table, just buy it.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you piss off to your own forum and bore them on there.

Bushfield Stand 15th September 2021 10.42:19

[QUOTE=ozzy red;2515491]We lose and its the end of the world, win next week and we are championship contenders.

All for passion, but a little maturity and intelligence wouldn't go astray.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, win on Saturday and we could be 4 points behind the leaders after seven games. Obviously won’t be easy given the way Dagenham are scoring goals for fun at the moment!

krux 15th September 2021 10.45:22

[QUOTE=ozzy red;2515491]We lose and its the end of the world, win next week and we are championship contenders.

All for passion, but a little maturity and intelligence wouldn't go astray.[/QUOTE]

win next week and we will have a 331 record, so no one will say we are championship contenders.

we will say that when we beat stockport though :)

Back of the Kop 15th September 2021 10.48:06

[QUOTE=krux;2515511]win next week and we will have a 331 record, so no one will say we are championship contenders.

we will say that when we beat stockport though :)[/QUOTE]

Apart from the cannon fodder at the bottom we aren't beating anyone away from home until PP sorts out the mess that is our engine room

Wreck Sam 15th September 2021 11.02:04

Young would have been fine as a squad backup for midfield... but PP has really created an unnecessary problem by making him captain. Now he will find it hard to drop him, which he will have to do to bring someone else in to sort that inadequate midfield. So frustrating...

davewilli 15th September 2021 11.07:12

[QUOTE=Back of the Kop;2515513]Apart from the cannon fodder at the bottom we aren't beating anyone away from home until PP sorts out the mess that is our engine room[/QUOTE]

I think defensively PP has got alot of work on his hands and until gets that right, we ain't going to see attractive free flowing football going the other way. It's alright Tozer saying in the press they are prepared to roll their sleeves up, they need to function as a unit otherwise more of the same. Wxm at home with all the hype and reputations, in front of hostile crowds is the sort of fixture teams will relish.

The Lennon situation isnt helping but hopefully Brisley is ready to help stiffen that back line. The plus side is we have had some difficult away trips, to highlight our short comings and plenty of time to start getting it right.

WREX01 15th September 2021 11.14:35

[QUOTE=davewilli;2515516]I think defensively PP has got alot of work on his hands and until gets that right, we ain't going to see attractive free flowing football going the other way. It's alright Tozer saying in the press they are prepared to roll their sleeves up, they need to function as a unit otherwise more of the same. Wxm at home with all the hype and reputations, in front of hostile crowds is the sort of fixture teams will relish.

The Lennon situation isnt helping but hopefully Brisley is ready to help stiffen that back line. The plus side is we have had some difficult away trips, to highlight our short comings and plenty of time to start getting it right.[/QUOTE]

Once we settle on a back 3, I can see this improving.
I can see that back 3 being Hayden/Tozer/Brisley.

subbuteorob 15th September 2021 11.18:42

The fixtures turn massively in November and December so expect a great run then. We clearly need to improve our midfield though and Young upgraded. I personally think promotion is a long shot this season but you never know. Next season is another matter though. We need to go up next season.

pricey 15th September 2021 11.41:46

wrong forum for that I fear!!!

NottsRed 15th September 2021 11.59:32

[QUOTE=Wreck Sam;2515515]Young would have been fine as a squad backup for midfield... but PP has really created an unnecessary problem by making him captain. Now he will find it hard to drop him, which he will have to do to bring someone else in to sort that inadequate midfield. So frustrating...[/QUOTE]

Thing is with Young though is if you do drop him who do you replace him with at the moment?

The annoying thing is we can't do anything now till Jan. It was obvious this was going to be an issue.

MJ6987 15th September 2021 12.02:25

Obviously we’re not going to win the league but I still believe we can make the play offs with a couple of good signings in midfield in January.

willyheckerslike 15th September 2021 12.03:50

Whilst we know that this team will need time to gel and after a few more games I am sure that we will see much more cohesive performances, but many of us on here have been saying for some time that a centre midfield general is desperately required to give us some steel and link up play from the defence through to the front two, someone to run the show in the middle of the park.....like Callum Guy! We all saw it and we would hope the manager and assistant recognised this too.....I think we had every intention of getting our midfield general before the transfer deadline but were priced out of the deal by Carlisle's over expectations and were held to ransom on deadline day and we left it on the table in favour of a January acquisition. Thank goodness we didn't panic and just threw the net over whoever was available late in the day. Problem now is whether the existing midfield players we have can cut the mustard sufficiently well enough to grind out enough points to make sure that we are still in the hunt come January? I believe that James Jones definitely is and Jordan Davies is as well, but I have my doubts about Young in that sitting central role as he lacks the discipline and physicality required and is too easily pushed off the ball. May be worth a try relieving him of the extra stresses of being the captain as he hasn't been the same player since he was given the responsibility? David Jones isn't the answer I don't know why we signed him in the first instance, the guy is one paced and its not fast and his "experience" was in short supply on Saturday when it was needed. We have also got to question Redmond's intro last night with so little first team game time and Jarvis isn't the type of midfielder we need to pull the strings either. Personally I think we will be better off if we tried to mould Young, Davies and Jones into a set up that better suits their abilities until we can get the man we need, rather than try to play a defender in that pivot midfield role as its probably one of the most difficult positions on the pitch to convert a player to. Have faith in the team and management and all will be well in due course!

red hills 15th September 2021 12.20:38

[QUOTE=willyheckerslike;2515532]Whilst we know that this team will need time to gel and after a few more games I am sure that we will see much more cohesive performances, but many of us on here have been saying for some time that a centre midfield general is desperately required to give us some steel and link up play from the defence through to the front two, someone to run the show in the middle of the park.....like Callum Guy! We all saw it and we would hope the manager and assistant recognised this too.....I think we had every intention of getting our midfield general before the transfer deadline but were priced out of the deal by Carlisle's over expectations and were held to ransom on deadline day and we left it on the table in favour of a January acquisition. Thank goodness we didn't panic and just threw the net over whoever was available late in the day. Problem now is whether the existing midfield players we have can cut the mustard sufficiently well enough to grind out enough points to make sure that we are still in the hunt come January? I believe that James Jones definitely is and Jordan Davies is as well, but I have my doubts about Young in that sitting central role as he lacks the discipline and physicality required and is too easily pushed off the ball. May be worth a try relieving him of the extra stresses of being the captain as he hasn't been the same player since he was given the responsibility? David Jones isn't the answer I don't know why we signed him in the first instance, the guy is one paced and its not fast and his "experience" was in short supply on Saturday when it was needed. We have also got to question Redmond's intro last night with so little first team game time and Jarvis isn't the type of midfielder we need to pull the strings either. Personally I think we will be better off if we tried to mould Young, Davies and Jones into a set up that better suits their abilities until we can get the man we need, rather than try to play a defender in that pivot midfield role as its probably one of the most difficult positions on the pitch to convert a player to. Have faith in the team and management and all will be well in due course![/QUOTE]

Now this is going to ruffle a few feathers but here goes.
All this about Young. As far as i am concerned he is more deserving of a place in the team before Davies. With Davies i think some people have the old rose tinted glasses as he's "one of our own" like Robbie Evans was and he wasnt good enough either.

El Jonez 15th September 2021 12.42:00

[QUOTE=red hills;2515538]Now this is going to ruffle a few feathers but here goes.
All this about Young. As far as i am concerned he is more deserving of a place in the team before Davies. With Davies i think some people have the old rose tinted glasses as he's "one of our own" like Robbie Evans was and he wasnt good enough either.[/QUOTE]

Davies when played as a CAM last season hit some real form (6 goals in 9 games).

[url]https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/sport/19283047.six-goals-nine-games-wrexham-star-davies/[/url]

Different players, but Davies has far more quality than the frantic Young who needs to have the armband (and pressure that comes with being captain) taken off him. As someone else said, this responsibility is clearly affecting his game.

Tozer is a proven leader who captained another team into League One just a few months ago.

Come on PP, this is an obvious fix that needs immediate action.

Back of the Kop 15th September 2021 13.57:44

[QUOTE=red hills;2515538]Now this is going to ruffle a few feathers but here goes.
All this about Young. As far as i am concerned he is more deserving of a place in the team before Davies. With Davies i think some people have the old rose tinted glasses as he's "one of our own" like Robbie Evans was and he wasnt good enough either.[/QUOTE]

Lol.

Young played last night, JD didn't, result, we get smashed.

Yes, Young is much more deserving. Fool

Birdy 15th September 2021 13.58:42

[QUOTE=willyheckerslike;2515532]Whilst we know that this team will need time to gel and after a few more games I am sure that we will see much more cohesive performances, but many of us on here have been saying for some time that a centre midfield general is desperately required to give us some steel and link up play from the defence through to the front two, someone to run the show in the middle of the park.....like Callum Guy! We all saw it and we would hope the manager and assistant recognised this too.....I think we had every intention of getting our midfield general before the transfer deadline but were priced out of the deal by Carlisle's over expectations and were held to ransom on deadline day and we left it on the table in favour of a January acquisition. Thank goodness we didn't panic and just threw the net over whoever was available late in the day. Problem now is whether the existing midfield players we have can cut the mustard sufficiently well enough to grind out enough points to make sure that we are still in the hunt come January? I believe that James Jones definitely is and Jordan Davies is as well, but I have my doubts about Young in that sitting central role as he lacks the discipline and physicality required and is too easily pushed off the ball. May be worth a try relieving him of the extra stresses of being the captain as he hasn't been the same player since he was given the responsibility? David Jones isn't the answer I don't know why we signed him in the first instance, the guy is one paced and its not fast and his "experience" was in short supply on Saturday when it was needed. We have also got to question Redmond's intro last night with so little first team game time and Jarvis isn't the type of midfielder we need to pull the strings either. Personally I think we will be better off if we tried to mould Young, Davies and Jones into a set up that better suits their abilities until we can get the man we need, rather than try to play a defender in that pivot midfield role as its probably one of the most difficult positions on the pitch to convert a player to. Have faith in the team and management and all will be well in due course![/QUOTE]

Ouch my eyes :toff::toff::toff:

Back of the Kop 15th September 2021 13.59:27

Wow, that's a rough read mate. Did you do grammar at school at all ? Try breaking it up into paragraphs

willyheckerslike 15th September 2021 14.11:21

[QUOTE=Back of the Kop;2515559]Wow, that's a rough read mate. Did you do grammar at school at all ? Try breaking it up into paragraphs[/QUOTE]

Last time I looked this was a fans forum...not a bleeding exam board....if you cant read joined up sentences then go to night school....but concentrate on the lessons this time around.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 10.53:04.