RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   A Touch of Realism (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/118294-touch-realism.html)

Bread_of_Heaven 15th September 2021 12.54:17

A Touch of Realism

So everyone is frustrated with our "average" start to the season. Some even suggesting if we don't win on Saturday we will already be too far behind to challenge for the title. Rubbish!

If we average 2 points a game it pretty much guarantees us being in the mix at the end of the season. In fact if we would have averaged 2 points a game we would have finished top of the table the last 4 seasons.

Dean Saunders said this when he was manager. Over a season generally look to win at home and get a point away and average 2 points a match. On that reckoning, having played 4 away matches and 2 home we should have 10 points to be on target for finishing top or there abouts. We have 9 points despite having a team still getting to know each other and having played some good teams. We are only 1 point off target and a win away on Saturday would actually put us ahead of target.

Yes, I, the same as everyone else, was hoping we'd stroll this league with the quality of signings we have had but things aren't as bad as some are making out.

t1954 15th September 2021 13.25:12

Re: A Touch of Realism

First 6 games of the 1977/78 season, does it ring a bell. W2,D3,L1, seems familiar. Do you need to panic after 6 games, go on if you want to, but leave me out. These current owners are not losers, have faith.

billybersham 15th September 2021 13.27:36

[QUOTE=Bread_of_Heaven;2515542]So everyone is frustrated with our "average" start to the season. Some even suggesting if we don't win on Saturday we will already be too far behind to challenge for the title. Rubbish!

If we average 2 points a game it pretty much guarantees us being in the mix at the end of the season. In fact if we would have averaged 2 points a game we would have finished top of the table the last 4 seasons.

Dean Saunders said this when he was manager. Over a season generally look to win at home and get a point away and average 2 points a match. On that reckoning, having played 4 away matches and 2 home we should have 10 points to be on target for finishing top or there abouts. We have 9 points despite having a team still getting to know each other and having played some good teams. We are only 1 point off target and a win away on Saturday would actually put us ahead of target.

Yes, I, the same as everyone else, was hoping we'd stroll this league with the quality of signings we have had but things aren't as bad as some are making out.[/QUOTE]

A lot of truth but how can we win saturday away from home?

BuckleyDerbyRob 15th September 2021 13.28:34

Sensible and balanced post on Red Passion?

I predict this will be the shortest thread for months... :)

-luke 15th September 2021 13.32:21

F uck Mark drakeford...

Just a joke to start them off

Ddraigoch 15th September 2021 13.34:49

[QUOTE=Bread_of_Heaven;2515542]So everyone is frustrated with our "average" start to the season. Some even suggesting if we don't win on Saturday we will already be too far behind to challenge for the title. Rubbish!

Yes, I, the same as everyone else, was hoping we'd stroll this league with the quality of signings we have had but things aren't as bad as some are making out.[/QUOTE]

Stop talking sense, you know it won't work!
Torquay had the league won at Christmas but strange that they are still in this league:eek:

Biggest over reaction I have heard/seen in years on here last night.

petered 15th September 2021 14.43:29

Totally agree. Predictions time.....guaranteed play offs with 5 games to go,need to win 5points off last 3 games to go up as champions.
COYR.

Lesjonno 15th September 2021 14.49:07

Yes a long way to go yet and no cause for panic. According to the manager though, he thought it was nip and tuck last night, an even game. Really? If he thinks that he clearly was watching a different game to the rest of the away support. Grimsby were much better and illustrated that there is much to be done if we are to challenge at the end of the season.

subbuteorob 15th September 2021 14.56:33

Do wrexham pass the "eye test" at the moment ? No.

But we are a far better proposition than we were last season, far more entertaining and playing with 2 strikers !!

We will be in the playoffs at the very least.

Bigmike 15th September 2021 16.33:47

[QUOTE=subbuteorob;2515574]Do wrexham pass the "eye test" at the moment ? No.

But we are a far better proposition than we were last season, far more entertaining and playing with 2 strikers !!

We will be in the playoffs at the very least.[/QUOTE]

good post

the_holt_dragon 15th September 2021 16.42:30

To me what's more frustrating than the average start (which I can accept) is the average midfield. We haven't rectified the clear fault from last season which seems mad when we have an increased budget and people like Reed involved.

Prodigal Dragon 15th September 2021 17.08:35

[QUOTE=the_holt_dragon;2515597]To me what's more frustrating than the average start (which I can accept) is the average midfield. We haven't rectified the clear fault from last season which seems mad when we have an increased budget and people like Reed involved.[/QUOTE]

It would be quite interesting hearing the full story of why it went to the wire with no loanee as a back-up if the deals went Tango Uniform.

Parry52 15th September 2021 18.23:58

I'll probably get shot down for this.

We are a National League team owned by 2 Hollywood stars. We've raided teams in League One for their best players, we've spent more this year than we have in what 20 years? Our players are probably earning a massive amount, we're sponsored by one of the most popular companies in the world, FIFA have made a point of adding us to the game.

I know there's the time to gel thing, but we have paid top money for players who are supposed to be so good we can bypass all that formalities and get on to the winning. I know we'll be up there at the end of the season, if we aren't we'll just spend more, but we're making so much hard work of this. By all means believe in the players, we've got no choice, but comparing ourselves to teams who pulled off miracles isn't going to be healthy when we suddenly don't start pulling off the miracle they pulled off.

Alan Attack 15th September 2021 18.51:17

But as the longest serving club at this level, we should be long enough in the tooth to know how this league works and throwing loads of money at it will only get us so far…unless they are Premier League players.

It’s going to take us time and games to gain confidence and to become a good side. We can’t just expect to be a good team. It doesn’t work like that.

the_holt_dragon 15th September 2021 19.06:30

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2515627]But as the longest serving club at this level, we should be long enough in the tooth to know how this league works and throwing loads of money at it will only get us so far…unless they are Premier League players.

It’s going to take us time and games to gain confidence and to become a good side. We can’t just expect to be a good team. It doesn’t work like that.[/QUOTE]

I think you look at the likes of tozer and Hayden and think they will gell. You look at Mullin and think he will start scoring. The midfield is pretty much the same players as last season. It wasn't close to being good enough then, why will they come together now?

Redpensioner 15th September 2021 19.21:31

Totally agree. Some of the posts on here have been shocking.

Parry52 15th September 2021 19.56:36

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2515627]But as the longest serving club at this level, we should be long enough in the tooth to know how this league works and throwing loads of money at it will only get us so far…unless they are Premier League players.

It’s going to take us time and games to gain confidence and to become a good side. We can’t just expect to be a good team. It doesn’t work like that.[/QUOTE]

Should players dropping 2 divisions need confidence? I think we're giving our team too many places to hide behind. We aren't doing well because of bad performances.

the_holt_dragon 15th September 2021 20.11:02

[QUOTE=Parry52;2515644]Should players dropping 2 divisions need confidence? I think we're giving our team too many places to hide behind. We aren't doing well because of bad performances.[/QUOTE]

I think they need confidence learning to play with different players, systems, etc.

MJ6987 15th September 2021 20.58:24

[QUOTE=t1954;2515543]First 6 games of the 1977/78 season, does it ring a bell. W2,D3,L1, seems familiar. Do you need to panic after 6 games, go on if you want to, but leave me out. These current owners are not losers, have faith.[/QUOTE]

Who was in our midfield that season?

Alan Attack 16th September 2021 06.38:38

[QUOTE=the_holt_dragon;2515650]I think they need confidence learning to play with different players, systems, etc.[/QUOTE]

…and that’s the key point. You can’t become a good team overnight. You achieve it with good results, adversity, stringing results together. I have no doubt Tozer and Mullin are highly confident in themselves but sadly, there’s another 9 blokes in the team.

Things don’t get much easier with games against the league leaders Dagenham and early season favourites Stockport. It’s as tough a start to the season as we could have got particularly with a squad comprising a new spine and a new manager.

cardiffred 16th September 2021 06.49:54

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2515606]It would be quite interesting hearing the full story of why it went to the wire with no loanee as a back-up if the deals went Tango Uniform.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it just came down to what was available wasn't better than what we already had.

Trodat 16th September 2021 06.57:29

Good post Bread.

Christmas period is where it’s at, come out early January within an achievable points deficit and I think we’ll be there or there abouts.

Prodigal Dragon 16th September 2021 07.05:34

[QUOTE=cardiffred;2515717]Maybe it just came down to what was available wasn't better than what we already had.[/QUOTE]

Could be. But there were surely loanees we could have targeted.

Regardless, we now have to get more out of what we have until January comes around.

The potential is clearly there, but we have not yet fully clicked, albeit the quality and entertainment value is considerably better than what we have endured for too long.

I am confident PP will sort it out.

LlayDragon 16th September 2021 07.32:48

[QUOTE=the_holt_dragon;2515597]To me what's more frustrating than the average start (which I can accept) is the average midfield. We haven't rectified the clear fault from last season which seems mad when we have an increased budget and people like Reed involved.[/QUOTE]

I think they had an overinflated impression of their chances of signing Guy.

I can't think of any other reason why we'd be in the situation we are with midfield. After all a good conference holding midfielder would have improved us. I don't buy the idea that better wasn't available.

WREX01 16th September 2021 07.39:38

It seems that we were targeting one or two top midfielders from Boateng, Clarke and Guy.All of whom would've been terrific signings.
But we now find ourselves in a bit of a mess in midfield, i just hope we have a plan.
As others have said, I still expect us to get into the play offs, even with this midfield.

Hamilton Pathetic 16th September 2021 07.43:11

[QUOTE=MJ6987;2515654]Who was in our midfield that season?[/QUOTE]

I honestly don’t think signing Sutton, Thomas and Whittle is going to solve our present midfield problems.

wafc1926 16th September 2021 07.57:37

[QUOTE=Hamilton Pathetic;2515737]I honestly don’t think signing Sutton, Thomas and Whittle is going to solve our present midfield problems.[/QUOTE]

What about Arfon Griffiths and Les Cartwright though? Both Welsh Internationals.

cardiffred 16th September 2021 08.10:58

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2515722]Could be. But there were surely loanees we could have targeted.

Regardless, we now have to get more out of what we have until January comes around.

The potential is clearly there, but we have not yet fully clicked, albeit the quality and entertainment value is considerably better than what we have endured for too long.

I am confident PP will sort it out.[/QUOTE]

Maybe but loanees were likely to be young players - probably not suitable for the rough and tumble of a DM role in the NL.

I'm confident too. Just need to get out of the next couple of weeks with as many points as we can. It gets easier from early oct.

Lesjonno 16th September 2021 08.16:52

Well the plan is working. This is obviously scripted for the documentary. What entertainment would it be for R and R to buy a club, buy completely new fantastic players, win every game and go up as champions? Boring! No that’s not how Hollywood works. There’s the drama, the joy, the sadness, despair followed by hope again . All looks lost until the heroes emerge like the Magnificent Seven ( January), saving the situation with a joyous tearjerker of a winning goal in 94th minute of the playoff final. Well that’s my theory anyway.

Dai83 16th September 2021 08.22:20

I don't think our midfield players are awful, it's the make up of them as a collective. I thought we might come unstuck with them, I've not seen anything yet to suggest otherwise. I don't want to see Redmond, anywhere near a starting line up again. Hopefully Dave Jones still has it in him, to step up and last week was merely a blip.

KingBuxton_Forever red 16th September 2021 10.30:38

I wonder if Jarvis gets a look in at all. I suspect that was Redmond's chance in there been and gone.

MichaelP 16th September 2021 10.31:12

[QUOTE=KingBuxton_Forever red;2515815]I wonder if Jarvis gets a look in at all. I suspect that was Redmond's chance in there been and gone.[/QUOTE]

I really hope he gets a look in going forwards. If I was Jarvis I would be asking questions.

Wiltshire_Red 16th September 2021 13.51:33

A quote this week from Mauricio Pochettino about his PSG team.

“We are a club that has recruited many players this summer. There are some big names but we have to turn into a team. We are a group of players who need to achieve results.”

PP could say exactly the same thing at our level, the season is a marathon, not a sprint.

Wiltshire_Red 16th September 2021 14.00:10

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2515716]…and that’s the key point. You can’t become a good team overnight. You achieve it with good results, adversity, stringing results together. I have no doubt Tozer and Mullin are highly confident in themselves but sadly, there’s another 9 blokes in the team.

Things don’t get much easier with games against the league leaders Dagenham and early season favourites Stockport. [B][I]It’s as tough a start to the season as we could have got particularly with a squad comprising a new spine and a new manager.[/I][/B][/QUOTE]

A very good point, we could have done with a fixture start like Chesterfield.

KingBuxton_Forever red 16th September 2021 14.07:37

[QUOTE=MichaelP;2515817]I really hope he gets a look in going forwards. If I was Jarvis I would be asking questions.[/QUOTE]

I liked the look of Jarvis last season, and I have consistently heard in various interviews that he has something about him (from ex players) so if he cant get a game while our midfield is a state then when will he.

jayjay 16th September 2021 18.41:19

[quote=bread_of_heaven;2515542]so everyone is frustrated with our "average" start to the season. Some even suggesting if we don't win on saturday we will already be too far behind to challenge for the title. Rubbish!

Dean saunders said this when he was manager. Over a season generally look to win at home and get a point away and average 2 points a match. On that reckoning, having played 4 away matches and 2 home we should have 10 points to be on target for finishing top or there abouts. We have 9 points despite having a team still getting to know each other and having played some good teams. We are only 1 point off target and a win away on saturday would actually put us ahead of target.

Yes, i, the same as everyone else, was hoping we'd stroll this league with the quality of signings we have had but things aren't as bad as some are making out.[/quote]

👏👏👏👏👏👏

cardiffred 16th September 2021 18.46:50

[QUOTE=KingBuxton_Forever red;2515898]I liked the look of Jarvis last season, and I have consistently heard in various interviews that he has something about him (from ex players) so if he cant get a game while our midfield is a state then when will he.[/QUOTE]

Because adding another attacking player won't solve the fundamental issue.

LlayDragon 16th September 2021 19.28:53

[QUOTE=cardiffred;2515946]Because adding another attacking player won't solve the fundamental issue.[/QUOTE]

Yup.

Jarvis is not what we need anf when Davies is fit there's three players in front of him.

Funny_Old_Game 16th September 2021 19.36:35

Jarvis is another lightweight technical player who only wants to go forward and has never put a tackle in in his life.

Iggy Pop 17th September 2021 08.45:27

[QUOTE=Wiltshire_Red;2515896]A very good point, we could have done with a fixture start like Chesterfield.[/QUOTE]

Call me cynical, but it makes me wonder how the fixtures in this league are worked out. I can't find any info on it!

I remember years ago, it was revealed that it was an individual person that worked out the fixtures for this league and he turned out to be a Mansfield fan, who were in this league at the time!

Can you imagine if it turns out to be a Chesterfield fan who's worked out the fixtures for this season!!

I know everyone says that it evens out over the season, but if you get an easy start then you get a lot of momentum going and a lot of confidence by the time the tougher games come along.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 11.29:29.