RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   The Hotel Factor (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/118298-hotel-factor.html)

MichaelP 15th September 2021 21.23:15

The Hotel Factor

No matter who the manager has been for the last 15 years + . Overnight stays don’t seem very successful when you look at games we have stayed in hotels for.

What I couldn’t get was the team travelled down on Monday for a game on Tuesday evening.

It used to be that if we had a game in midweek we wouldn’t bother with Hotels but if it was a weekend game and involved a lot of mileage a hotel the night before would be a given.

Now even at the cheapest calculations if you take into account the accommodation and food that all staff would need it’s a big part of the yearly spend.

Say you have 2 players to one room. = £50 for the room x 8 rooms for a squad of 16 players that would come to = £400

Then you of course have management so say Manager / coaches / Physio etc say another 4 rooms = £200

That comes to £600.

Plus meals and drinks could quite easily have not much change from £1,000 from match preparations as opposed to travelling on day and that’s based on the cheapest accommodation food possible booking in advance.

If you then x that be say = 15 games = £15,000 !!

Now if we were successful then it could be argued money well spent but when more often than not it isn’t . Then the money would be much better spent somewhere else?

rob_1072 15th September 2021 21.24:19

Re: The Hotel Factor

Maybe you should write an email?

sionwxm 15th September 2021 21.26:08

Apparently we trained at Scunny’s training ground on Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning. Ratcliffe made the comment that the players can get leggy/tired staying over and not sleeping in their own beds. Seems like an excuse but we certainly don’t travel particularly well.

RexRentFree 15th September 2021 21.28:41

[QUOTE=MichaelP;2515663]No matter who the manager has been for the last 15 years + . Overnight stays don’t seem very successful when you look at games we have stayed in hotels for.

What I couldn’t get was the team travelled down on Monday for a game on Tuesday evening.

It used to be that if we had a game in midweek we wouldn’t bother with Hotels but if it was a weekend game and involved a lot of mileage a hotel the night before would be a given.

Now even at the cheapest calculations if you take into account the accommodation and food that all staff would need it’s a big part of the yearly spend.

Say you have 2 players to one room. = £50 for the room x 8 rooms for a squad of 16 players that would come to = £400

Then you of course have management so say Manager / coaches / Physio etc say another 4 rooms = £200

That comes to £600.

Plus meals and drinks could quite easily have not much change from £1,000 from match preparations as opposed to travelling on day and that’s based on the cheapest accommodation food possible booking in advance.

Now if we were successful then it could be argued money well spent but when more often than not it isn’t . Then the money would be much better spent somewhere else?[/QUOTE]

£15k is nothing, between ticket sales, merch, sponsors, documentary and the inventors the club could have £6m turnover this year.

Teifi Red 15th September 2021 21.29:41

Yep. Very amateurish. By now I would expect us to be flying to away games like the Premiership boys :coolgleamA:

MichaelP 15th September 2021 21.30:57

[QUOTE=Teifi Red;2515667]Yep. Very amateurish. By now I would expect us to be flying to away games like the Premiership boys :coolgleamA:[/QUOTE]

Or just travel down on the day by coach like a lot of other teams do at our level ?

Redordead 15th September 2021 21.35:35

Would you have posted this had we beaten Grimsby?

OneLoveWrexham 15th September 2021 21.50:48

Close thread this is complete drivel.

Birdy 15th September 2021 21.51:47

Who cares how much it costs, we are not run by a penny pinching co-operative anymore.

tokyored 15th September 2021 21.55:08

[QUOTE=MichaelP;2515663]No matter who the manager has been for the last 15 years + . Overnight stays don’t seem very successful when you look at games we have stayed in hotels for.

[B]Now even at the cheapest calculations if you take into account the accommodation and food that all staff would need it’s a big part of the yearly spend.[/B]

That comes to £600.

Now if we were successful then it could be argued money well spent but when more often than not it isn’t . Then the money would be much better spent somewhere else?[/QUOTE]

Seeing as you've got time to do some back of an envelope maths, could you tell us what percentage of our yearly spending £15,000!! represents? Thanks in advance.

TheRealWelshWayne 15th September 2021 22.00:09

One of the 31

MichaelP 15th September 2021 22.04:13

[QUOTE=TheRealWelshWayne;2515689]One of the 31[/QUOTE]

Yes of course! Seems to be a catchphrase on here!

Teifi Red 15th September 2021 22.12:40

Ok, I’ll bite. What percentage of games have we won, drawn or lost over the last 15 years after staying overnight. I’ve picked 15 years as it’s the one you used in your original post. Be interesting to see your stats on it.

MichaelP 15th September 2021 22.52:51

[QUOTE=Teifi Red;2515692]Ok, I’ll bite. What percentage of games have we won, drawn or lost over the last 15 years after staying overnight. I’ve picked 15 years as it’s the one you used in your original post. Be interesting to see your stats on it.[/QUOTE]

It’s not about biting. I haven’t gone out of my way to provoke an argument. It’s just something I have noticed. It’s neither a dig at the pre wst days / wst days / new regime takeover.

It doesn’t matter what era you take i am sure that more often than not we have lost when we have had an overnight stay. Yes of course we have won and drawn games we have stayed overnight. I am not saying that 100% of times when we have stayed overnight it has ended in defeat. My personal feeling is when I have found out we have booked overnight I have thought oh here we go again!

One game which stays in my mind all those years ago was when we booked overnight for Hereford away - Brian Little season. Which I don’t need to tell anyone how that game ended and resulted in.

The money granted in grand scheme of things isn’t a lot. Yes of course £15,000 would be more noticeable in a wst budget than a R & R budget.

It’s more the success rate of staying overnight.

I have spoken to players from past who have said that a lot of time when spending overnight it used to be a lot of twiddling thumbs , you couldn’t go out and have beers as maybe you could do in the 70s / 80s and early 90s.

You have a meal go to bed. And then prepare following day. The home comforts are missed.

Would it be worth Trialing say the next noticeable large distance away game Aldershot which is a Saturday and travelling up early in morning and seeing what players feedback but more importantly the performance and result.

billybersham 16th September 2021 01.07:06

[QUOTE=MichaelP;2515669]Or just travel down on the day by coach like a lot of other teams do at our level ?[/QUOTE]

Most clubs at our level only travel on the day because the national league has around 16 southern based clubs.

Alan Attack 16th September 2021 05.35:02

All this because we lost a game.

louisleftboot 16th September 2021 05.43:15

If we weren’t having overnight stays, you would be saying the coach journeys are making us leggy.

Radcliffe was talking nonsense with all that. Could barely finish his thought process. Just looking for a reason to bash.

noisy1 16th September 2021 06.00:48

[QUOTE=louisleftboot;2515701]If we weren’t having overnight stays, you would be saying the coach journeys are making us leggy.

Radcliffe was talking nonsense with all that. Could barely finish his thought process. Just looking for a reason to bash.[/QUOTE]

Now now, Ratshit is full if inspirational nuggets :eek:

sparky 16th September 2021 06.04:27

I'm all for progress, if some get their noses put out of joint during the progress of WFC then so be it. I'm pleased that Rob is printing more money than ever on the back of said progress. However, for RP regulars, things are getting rather spoilt by all these attention seeking newbies and those newbies that are clearly mischief making. Sigh.

sparky 16th September 2021 06.07:25

[QUOTE=OneLoveWrexham;2515684]Close thread this is complete drivel.[/QUOTE]

The more members that use the report button for this attention seeking idiot then the sooner his nonsense threads will no longer be.

ruthinred 16th September 2021 06.18:01

[QUOTE=sparky;2515707]The more members that use the report button for this attention seeking idiot then the sooner his nonsense threads will no longer be.[/QUOTE]

Good idea cheers

marathonplny 16th September 2021 06.20:47

The club’s in a position of transition. Everything is being worked on to improve it and ALL we get to read is moan moan moan. Give it a rest.

sionwxm 16th September 2021 06.21:51

I am sure the overnight stays this early in the season, not only breaks up the travel on match day, but helps with the team bonding/morale with having so many new players at the club. We need to have faith that it will click one day, our management team will be working hard to find that winning formula. It’s been a tough tough start

Foxy 16th September 2021 07.04:23

That comes to £600.

What are the hotel policies on face coverings where they are staying ?

TheRealWelshWayne 16th September 2021 07.06:34

Everything points to this user trying to destabilise.

RadioRed 16th September 2021 07.15:43

That comes to £600.

Agree with the above. May be I am bad minded but I have often thought that some players could be up half the night having a bet playing cards and thus not getting a proper nights sleep.
Please tell me I am wrong that they are too professional to do anything like that?

MichaelP 16th September 2021 07.17:28

[QUOTE=Foxy;2515721]What are the hotel policies on face coverings where they are staying ?[/QUOTE]

All hotels in England abide by the same rules.

MichaelP 16th September 2021 07.18:50

[QUOTE=TheRealWelshWayne;2515723]Everything points to this user trying to destabilise.[/QUOTE]

Erm, okay you got me !

Wrong!

As I mentioned im not having a pop at any era this has been going on long enough overnight stays. All I was suggesting was travel to Aldershot on day and see how it pans out.

MichaelP 16th September 2021 07.21:00

[QUOTE=sionwxm;2515712]I am sure the overnight stays this early in the season, not only breaks up the travel on match day, but helps with the team bonding/morale with having so many new players at the club. We need to have faith that it will click one day, our management team will be working hard to find that winning formula. It’s been a tough tough start[/QUOTE]

There is a theory that team bonding/morale can be improved with overnight stays yes I get that. Just the suggestion of travelling on day rather than spending the night.

The other matter which I have not mentioned so far is that the team could travel up the night before the weather could take a turn the following day then the game gets postponed so would mean another hotel stay for the rearranged game.

louisleftboot 16th September 2021 07.28:43

[QUOTE=MichaelP;2515729]

The other matter which I have not mentioned so far is that the team could travel up the night before the weather could take a turn the following day then the game gets postponed so would mean another hotel stay for the rearranged game.[/QUOTE]

…so?

Willywill 16th September 2021 07.44:51

MichaelP. - are you for real ?

redtilidie 16th September 2021 07.51:33

That comes to £600.

Where the hell are you coming from?

Corner Flag 16th September 2021 07.51:35

That comes to £600.

£50 a room ? you don't travel much !

MichaelP 16th September 2021 08.06:28

[QUOTE=Corner Flag;2515740]£50 a room ? you don't travel much ![/QUOTE]

You can if you book plenty in advance get rooms for £50 at travelodge for example plus if you are block booking rooms you may get corporate discount.

I have stayed at some Travelodge’s over the years and had rooms for £29 , £39 , £49 , £69, £79 etc

But of course if it’s more per room it’s more expense.

As i say the money is not the be all and end all is points on the board and if hotel visits are not contributing favourably then trial an away game or 2 travelling on the day cannot harm.

MichaelP 16th September 2021 08.08:11

Aldershot Travelodge Friday 1st October checking out Saturday 2nd October for 2 adults is currently £32.99
[url]https://www.travelodge.co.uk/search/results?location=Aldershot&lat=&long=&checkIn=01%2F10%2F21&checkOut=02%2F10%2F21&rooms%5B0%5D%5Badults%5D=2&rooms%5B0%5D%5Bchildren%5D=0&search=&action=search[/url]

cardiffred 16th September 2021 08.21:04

This is red passion gold.

Foxy 16th September 2021 08.23:57

[QUOTE=MichaelP;2515727]All hotels in England abide by the same rules.[/QUOTE]

I think you will find there are vast variations. You refer to the Aldershot Travelodge - i have stayed at Travelodges this summer where you would be hard pressed to find any evidence of a pandemic. Very worrying, as I’m sure you would agree. On the contrary I have stayed at other hotels where you have to wear a hamzat suit to get in , and which have one way systems that even Ty Pawb would be proud of.

LlayDragon 16th September 2021 08.26:16

[QUOTE=cardiffred;2515749]This is red passion gold.[/QUOTE]

Bit of comic entertainment.

MichaelP 16th September 2021 08.27:34

[QUOTE=Foxy;2515751]I think you will find there are vast variations. You refer to the Aldershot Travelodge - i have stayed at Travelodges this summer where you would be hard pressed to find any evidence of a pandemic. Very worrying, as I’m sure you would agree. On the contrary I have stayed at other hotels where you have to wear a hamzat suit to get in , and which have one way systems that even Ty Pawb would be proud of.[/QUOTE]

In Travelodge’s I have stayed in and a friend works in also. There are masks to be worn at all times and the receptions have Perspex screen in front similar to that of bus drivers. As bus drivers don’t need to wear masks as they have the Perspex screen. Staff at Travelodge have temperature checks similar to other environment retail etc. Guests are asked to fill in a track and trace. Sanitise and wear face coverings until they get to their room.

MichaelP 16th September 2021 08.29:11

Also besides if you are comparing apples with Apples look at the goings on at the Racecourse with the concourses etc nobody wearing face coverings or very few.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 10.45:43.