RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Overnight Stay Win/Loss thread (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/118308-overnight-stay-win-loss-thread.html)

TheRealWelshWayne 17th September 2021 12.21:16

Re: Overnight Stay Win/Loss thread

[QUOTE=BuckleyDerbyRob;2516178]Sorry Wayne, but you've lost me! All I meant was that I didn't study Psychology at University :)

I haven't a clue what SPSS is...[/QUOTE]

No worries, You just sounded like you had done lots of work with statistics and the sciences. SPSS is the statistical software to help you work out the results of an experiment or study. Enjoy the rest of your friday!

Percy Sugden 17th September 2021 12.22:12

It’s almost as if the only factor in us succeeding is whether we have an overnight stay or not…

What a load of bollocks….

BuckleyDerbyRob 17th September 2021 12.30:44

[QUOTE=TheRealWelshWayne;2516184]No worries, You just sounded like you had done lots of work with statistics and the sciences. SPSS is the statistical software to help you work out the results of an experiment or study. Enjoy the rest of your friday![/QUOTE]

Ah, you're right, I have done that - but the software is bespoke with a fancy name :)

RedGoolie 17th September 2021 12.54:50

[QUOTE=MichaelP;2516136]OP - you have only taken 4 games from this season into account when working out the stats.

A longer period of time is required. I suggest a period of 15 years would be better to get a better idea.[/QUOTE]

This is not a personal slight at anyone and apart from the financial cost, the benefits of travelling down the day before is already well known. I mentioned that there is data already present about this and there is no need to collect secondary data over a long period of time. The sports science behind the overnight stays is clear (which is why we do it; finance not withstanding) and there are a number of physiological processes which are adversely affected by travel (many of which are still present if you play the game on the same day)...sleep, psychological, wellness, nutritional status, recovery from previous training sessions. Have a look at research from Rabbanni & Buchheit in 2016 or if you want (or disagree) find some other research and see for yourself. From a personal point of view (and as a lecturer in Sports Science) I find this an important aspect of professional sport, especially at our level and above, where fine margins could be the difference between winning and losing. Dave Brailsford talked about "marginal gains" and this is an example of this philosophy...its those 1% gains which could make all the difference

MichaelP 17th September 2021 13.00:01

[QUOTE=RedGoolie;2516207]This is not a personal slight at anyone and apart from the financial cost, the benefits of travelling down the day before is already well known. I mentioned that there is data already present about this and there is no need to collect secondary data over a long period of time. The sports science behind the overnight stays is clear (which is why we do it; finance not withstanding) and there are a number of physiological processes which are adversely affected by travel (many of which are still present if you play the game on the same day)...sleep, psychological, wellness, nutritional status, recovery from previous training sessions. Have a look at research from Rabbanni & Buchheit in 2016 or if you want (or disagree) find some other research and see for yourself. From a personal point of view (and as a lecturer in Sports Science) I find this an important aspect of professional sport, especially at our level and above, where fine margins could be the difference between winning and losing. Dave Brailsford talked about "marginal gains" and this is an example of this philosophy...its those 1% gains which could make all the difference[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that, that’s really interesting.

My viewpoint is just what I have felt with the time I have followed the team up and down.

I can see why managers feel then that overnight stays is the preferred / only option.

There are times though where teams have travelled to Wrexham on the day and beaten us. Would they of done that if stayed overnight?

Dougie Davies 17th September 2021 13.03:26

[QUOTE=MichaelP;2516212]Thank you for that, that’s really interesting.

My viewpoint is just what I have felt with the time I have followed the team up and down.

I can see why managers feel then that overnight stays is the preferred / only option.

There are times though where teams have travelled to Wrexham on the day and beaten us. Would they of done that if stayed overnight?[/QUOTE]

Probably as we were probably shite

MichaelP 17th September 2021 13.04:22

[QUOTE=Dougie Davies;2516215]Probably as we were probably shite[/QUOTE]

Actually good point.:hurray:

louisleftboot 17th September 2021 13.48:13

[QUOTE=Dougie Davies;2516162]Why stop at 15? Let's go nuts at 50 years. OP better start working it out[/QUOTE]

[IMG]https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/022/524/tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg[/IMG]

NewportRoadEnd 17th September 2021 13.53:11

[QUOTE=RedGoolie;2516207]This is not a personal slight at anyone and apart from the financial cost, the benefits of travelling down the day before is already well known. I mentioned that there is data already present about this and there is no need to collect secondary data over a long period of time. The sports science behind the overnight stays is clear (which is why we do it; finance not withstanding) and there are a number of physiological processes which are adversely affected by travel (many of which are still present if you play the game on the same day)...sleep, psychological, wellness, nutritional status, recovery from previous training sessions. Have a look at research from Rabbanni & Buchheit in 2016 or if you want (or disagree) find some other research and see for yourself. From a personal point of view (and as a lecturer in Sports Science) I find this an important aspect of professional sport, especially at our level and above, where fine margins could be the difference between winning and losing. Dave Brailsford talked about "marginal gains" and this is an example of this philosophy...its those 1% gains which could make all the difference[/QUOTE]

OK now we can close the thread.

A literal expert chimes in. Good night god bless.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 16.57:17.