Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th November 2021, 18.06:34   #1-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Buckley and District Reds

As a supporters group we have along with many other groups raised and donated 10s of thousands of pounds to help the club over the years. Clearly with the takeover and new ownership, the club doesn’t need our funds in the same way as they used to. Perhaps as a supporters group we have lost our sense of purpose to some extent, but that’s a temporary situation.

So we became aware of a young Buckley lad Lewis White who has suffered 2 strokes and a brain bleed by the age of 12. Some of his story is shown below and a link to a just giving page.

So why am I posting this, well as a supporters group we can still make a small difference to our local community, so today we have donated £100 to this very worthy cause. Maybe going forward we may support more local causes, still under the name of Buckley and District Reds, a proud Wrexham AFC supporters group.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/fund4lewis

We are raising money for a young boy very close to our hearts. Lewis White. We want to help to provide him with all of the things that we take for granted every day, things like access to a bath or shower and a comfy chair to sit in the lounge to enjoy some family time. Lewis is a 14 year old who has a remarkable story, having gone from being a healthy little boy to now being unable to move independently, talk or feed and can only communicate by blinking. Having spent a significant portion of his life in Alder Hey hospital after suffering a stroke at the age of 7 and associated life threatening complications, he has been home since September 2020 but can now only access 2 rooms due to the size of his wheelchair and upsettingly has no access to any bathroom facilities within his own home.

Lewis is the toughest, most determined boy his friends and family have the honour to know, he fights every day to gain more movement and we want to help him and his parents to not have to fight to get him access to all of the things that will make him more comfortable and aid his rehabilitation as well.

Please take some time to read Lewis’s story below to get a tiny insight into the brave boy he is and the challenges he has had to face so far in his relatively short life.

We will be posting various fundraising activities over the coming weeks and months and the Just Giving page is live for any donations, no matter how small, they will go directly to Lewis to improve his quality of life and provide the basic essentials that we all take for granted.

Thank you for taking the time to hear Lewis’s story.

Laraine and Lynsey
Old 15th November 2021, 23.32:56   #2-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Default Re: Buckley and District Reds

Surprised no-one has commented on this post. Whilst it is highly commendable for the Buckley and District Reds to back a highly worthy charity , the other inferences are concerning. Hope I've got it wrong but seemingly this long-established (30 years? ) Supporters' group are feeling their input is no longer valued or relevant? Having been involved in the Supporters' Association from 1974 , and also in the National Supporters' movement , I have witnessed the great growth of Wrexham AFC Fans' groups over the years. Welcomed the arrival of Rob and Ryan ....as most of us did ....and was encouraged by Humprey's promise that our views would be key by way of a Fans' Advisory group , meeting every 2 months. That group would include the FPA (of which I am Treasurer) and all the other important parties. May be a little out of touch but can't find anyone to confirm that promise to be anything more than empty words. Can someone please convince me that my concerns are groundless .....and that Supporters' groups really are valued by those now running Wrexham AFC??
Old 16th November 2021, 00.00:56   #3-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Perhaps a conversation for a different thread Mr '26?

Well done to Buckley Reds, a superb donation!
Old 16th November 2021, 00.42:55   #4-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrexhamO View Post
Perhaps a conversation for a different thread Mr '26?

Well done to Buckley Reds, a superb donation!
Just wanted to register my support for Buckley Reds whilst noting reservations re perceived Spin v Reality issues. Recognise most new fans will see me as a "Voice from the Past " which is ok. Age catches up with us all Steve , but respect ,hopefully , remains constant. Rarely post nowadays but note concerns from old friends like yourself, Quay Red , Prodigal Dragon, Ugolini, etc who raise valid , and serious , questions regarding long-term plans for Wrexham AFC. No interest in shit-stirring like others I could mention.Take care mate.

Old 16th November 2021, 06.41:27   #5-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

I believe all the supporters groups and voluntary organisations have a massive role to play going forward.

I think the point being made is that the club no longer needs financial support.

The obvious (and perhaps only) downside of the new ownership model is that we no longer have an actual final say in the decision making process. The point however is that that is exactly what went wrong IMO under the trust. If we simply think about the diversity of opinions on here amongst wrexham fans was always a huge challenge and frankly they failed.
The new owners have indicated compassion for our many causes and an apparent genuine desire to honour our history ,diversity and impact in the local community.

As a willing member of the DSA I will support my seniors in assisting where possible in a practical way but also in lobbying the management if I believe they go in any direction not in the best interests of the people we seek to support.
I would politely suggest that all supporters groups do the same and applaud Buckley reds for their excellent gesture.
Old 16th November 2021, 09.55:13   #6-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot:

As Treasurer of the Shropshire Reds since it's formation 27 years ago I agree entirely with the views presented by my friends from the Buckley Reds. I would also like to congratulate them on giving this support - perhaps it's the direction other supporters groups need too think of heading.

As regards the points raised about input from supporters groups, former players association etc I was in on the Federation zoom meeting with Humphrey Kerr and Shaun Harvey when they proposed an advisory group of all interested parties. At that stage they didn't think it right to take it forward as it should be part of the role of the new CEO when she took up her post. Although i appreciate it's been a busy time I, along with others are disappointed there has been no communication on the advisory board.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 01.54:09.