Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th November 2021, 22.02:51   #1-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Nowhere yet
Twitter: @

Default Visiting Wrexham and Racecourse for the first time

Hello all

I was after a bit of advice if anybody could help? I currently live in Chichester on the South Coast but am originally from Pontypridd and - sorry to say - a Cardiff City fan. However, in the last year, my 7-year-old son has just started showing an interest in football and, having always looked out for Wrexham's scores, I decided we'd take in some games when you guys visit the South East. We have now notched up Eastleigh, Aldershot (abandoned), Barnet and Maidstone and my son is now 'a Wrexham fan' complete with the green away top and scarf. I figured he just as well glory hunt with a North Welsh team rather than a northern English team :-)

Recently, he told me he was 'tired of being an away fan' and wanted to do a home game. Therefore, we're hoping to attend the Weymouth home game in the 2nd week of December and we have booked a hotel near Stratford-Upon-Avon - halfway - for our 4 hours 20 minutes 'home game' trip. The wife will enjoy a day in Stratford but we're hoping to set off from the hotel early on Saturday morning and get to Wrexham about 10:30am on match day. Could anyone advise on places to park for the day and where would you recommend we visit in the town (is the ground far from the town centre)? Also, is there anywhere near the ground where I can 'sample' a pint of Wrexham Lager and they don't mind a child-in-tow? I'm also assuming I will need to leave some time to pick-up my tickets (assuming I get them) as they won't send tickets out?

Any advice you could offer would be most appreciated.
Old 14th November 2021, 22.21:36   #2-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Default Re: Visiting Wrexham and Racecourse for the first time

Hi Chichester, I would park at the University car park (£3) which is right next to the ground (come off of the dual carriageway taking in our massive floodlights and take first left on the mini roundabout towards Sainsbury’s, the Uni car park is on the right at the next roundabout). I’d leave plenty of time as the ground and car parks get busy nowadays given we are selling out near enough all home fixtures. The town centre is not far from the ground down the Mold Road but not huge amount to see or do IMO. Not a regular drinker on match day so others would be better positioned but have never felt threatened when frequenting any pubs near the ground. The obvious suggestion would be the Turf pub on the Mold Road corner of the ground which is steeped in Wrexham FC folklore as one would suspect and is run by Wayne who sometimes posts on here but again will be very busy on Matchday (not even sure if it’ll be ticket only entry…perhaps others can confirm). Ticket office will also be very busy so again allow plenty of time.

Hope the above helps, have a fantastic experience and I hope you get hooked enough to make many future journeys to the Oldest International Ground still in use in the World!!
Old 14th November 2021, 22.22:21   #3-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

The Weymouth game kicks off at 5:20pm as it will be live on BT Sport
Old 14th November 2021, 22.32:03   #4-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

A big welcome to both of you, hope you have a great day.
Old 14th November 2021, 22.52:15   #5-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

With the late KO in your shoes I’d be inclined to forget Stratford and stay the night in Chester instead. It’s fantastic for Xmas shopping and easy to get to after the game (junior will be knackered by that time).

Alternatively Llangollen for a hotel.

Maesgwyn for a pre match pint https://www.facebook.com/Maesgwyn-Ha...6950843922232/
Old 14th November 2021, 22.58:32   #6-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

You will get a warm welcome up here of that I am sure. Would a seven year old lad enjoy a visit to our museum on Regent St. ( somewhere to kill the time on a cold day) Check the museum web site as it has a section on Welsh Football History ! as well as some great story boards about our local industrial history.

The Museum is about a 10 min walk from the ground and is in the town centre. It also has a small coffee bar on the front. There are numerous places to eat and drink with La baguette opposite the museum. Perhaps look up the Bank Bar which is on the corner of High St and Church St. (ten mins further down towards the Parish Church.

Bank Mine Host Alex is a jovial chap and he serves decent food with drinks or coffee whatever. On short a visit to town you will find that there is a linear track - From he Racecourse Ground through to the Parish Church - Mold Road / Regent St/ Hope St. The town unfortunately boasts the usual McDonalds which is on Regent St but some seem to like it.

Its a great town and I do hope you manage to get tickets for the match of your choice. I am sure others here will suggest alternative venues.

Last edited by Inside Left; 14th November 2021 at 23.01:23..
Old 14th November 2021, 22.58:53   #7-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

have you thought where to sit? I think a child friendly part of the ground is the Mold Road (Macron stand) in areas PG1 and 2 on the ticketing website but if you were wanting the noisy but choice language then maybe the Wrexrent L2 or L3

btw my daughter went to University in Chichester, lovely place to visit

Last edited by ianwxm; 14th November 2021 at 22.59:59..
Old 14th November 2021, 23.00:50   #8-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: The Bell End

Yes if it’s wrexham lager then it’s the Maesgwyn. Dreadful to admit but with it an evening kick off I’d stay close and the Mrs would like Chester I’m sure. Chester so close you could even get the train/bus and have 2 pints
Old 15th November 2021, 06.04:36   #9-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: MRS

The Grosvenor Arms in Pulford is a nice (but quite expensive) hotel in between Wrexham and Chester. Your Missus could get the bus into Chester for a bit of shopping and you and your lad could get the bus into Wrexham for the match. Wherever you decide to stay, have a good time, hopefully it will be the first of many visits.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 08.26:50.