Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Three Episode Threads: S3E1 Welcome To EFL / S3E2 Goals / Notts Again / Risky Business / Temporary / Far Away, So Close / Trouble / ...

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st October 2022, 11.15:12   #91-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Welcome to Wrexham S1E10 "Hooligans" discussion thread (spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezbob View Post
Interesting that some of the FL types on social media are using his appearance and the episode as a whole as some form of advocation of what they do. Apparently they’re the proper fans and anyone who doesn’t go to the match for a scrap isn’t.
Yes, seen that . Hardly surprising.

R and R have made a very serious error on this one.
Old 1st October 2022, 13.07:23   #92-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffysheepsupporter View Post
You have to take into account the audience which will be far and above those seeing it in the UK. The US and Canada viewers will be much more . And over there there is no hooligan element in football or indeed any of their sport. Those over the pond would be intrigued by the episode. We accept it as normal which of course it should not be.
Again, this isn’t to say that hooliganism and violence are not a problem, because any amount of it is. But as the fans of the club stress throughout the episode, it’s a handful of “fans.” When your home crowds are 9,000-10,000, 40-50 stick out more than they would in Premier League crowds for sure. However, McElhenney makes no bones about his Philadelphia Eagles fandom, a team that used to have a court and jail under its own stadium to deal with all the yobbos who attended. Wouldn’t it be worth him commenting and linking that to the problems Wrexham might be having? Or would that lessen his glow? Or like most Eagles fans, he thinks it’s only part of the charm of being an Eagles fan?
Old 1st October 2022, 13.11:08   #93-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezbob View Post
Interesting that some of the FL types on social media are using his appearance and the episode as a whole as some form of advocation of what they do. Apparently they’re the proper fans and anyone who doesn’t go to the match for a scrap isn’t.
Unbelievable as it may sound some FL will have been disappointed by the lack of Wrexham footage in this episode.

Sounds like we have a decent amount of new material from Oldham preserving the good name of the Town. Got a really bad feeling about today
Old 1st October 2022, 13.33:08   #94-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Kop, when it was open. Now my Couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffysheepsupporter View Post
You have to take into account the audience which will be far and above those seeing it in the UK. The US and Canada viewers will be much more . And over there there is no hooligan element in football or indeed any of their sport. Those over the pond would be intrigued by the episode. We accept it as normal which of course it should not be.
Just a cautionary note about North American sports and hooliganism. You're absolutely right that the hooliganism seems to be absent and the sports in general seem to be more of a family oriented day out.
But there are some black spots. I can't speak knowlegdably about many of the sports but in the NHL there are definitely aspects of violence. Ice hockey has traditionally allowed fighting within the game. It's thankfully being phased out but many fans are not in agreement with it being removed. In Canada there have been large-scale riots in notably Vancouver and Montreal after games and I'm pretty sure that some of the US teams have had similar issues.
I don't want to overstate the issue because it's not in many games and it's (usually) not many people and is the exception, not the rule. But it is a nasty undercurrent.
Old 1st October 2022, 17.34:31   #95-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

They do seem to be concentrating on a certain element of the fan base. Where I sit there are a lot of mostly retired professionals, even though just about all come from working class backgrounds. Maybe they should ask questions of this humble but not boring section of the crowd to show that a working class town can actually produce people who are able to remain passionate about their hometown football club without being abusive, foul mouthed or aggressive. Events at Oldham today may show that is actually a bad idea to emphasise the violence of a tiny minority of fans of most clubs.
Old 1st October 2022, 17.35:47   #96-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
They do seem to be concentrating on a certain element of the fan base. Where I sit there are a lot of mostly retired professionals, even though just about all come from working class backgrounds. Maybe they should ask questions of this humble but not boring section of the crowd to show that a working class town can actually produce people who are able to remain passionate about their hometown football club without being abusive, foul mouthed or aggressive. Events at Oldham today may show that is actually a bad idea to emphasise the violence of a tiny minority of fans of most clubs.

best post of the day
Old 2nd October 2022, 08.16:08   #97-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: G U Stand

I was surprised that they had a whole episode on hooligans particularly as a lot of new fans could get the wrong idea that the town and fan base is made up of a bunch of people who just want to cause problems. Also not all fans are expletive driven foul mouths. Maybe a bit of focus on the families that support the club and some of us middle aged fans who have respectfully been going to the Racecourse for years would give a more balanced view of what the town and fan base is actually about.
Old 2nd October 2022, 11.31:13   #98-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: Away stand

A poor episode for me. From a general football fan's perspective, I was disappointed with how it portrayed the issue to a wider audience. The footage shown didn't match my experience of going to football for close to 30 years. I can only imagine it is even more embarrassing to have it directly linked to your club.

I've infrequently seen isolated incidents or the occasional group of kids pogoing around trying to look tough but this episode would have you think that wide scale riots and running street battles are the norm. The inclusion of all of the footage from around the world and from decades ago was a bizarre choice too in a documentary that is supposed to be focusing on Wrexham.

The only bit of interest was the origin of the word hooligan, which seems obvious now but had never occurred to me.

I was glad to see that the next episode returned to form.
Old 3rd October 2022, 10.20:39   #99-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Very poor, people outside Wrexham will think that is what it's like on a regular basis in Wrexham, no explanation that most of the trouble shown had nothing to do with Wrexham i.e. clips from Russia etc.

for me it didn't show that this kind of behaviour is unacceptable in society or in Wrexham.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 13.55:36.