Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th November 2023, 18.22:51   #28-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Wrexham’s Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_holt_dragon View Post
It’s a calculated risk. In terms of football the tour wasn’t ideal preparation, but any points lost from that will be more than replaced by the players brought in from the significant money we raised.

Very true ..... but it did impact our play and specifically our ability to defend early in the season - we're in a much better place defensively now
Old 27th November 2023, 20.43:35   #29-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: My couch in Scottsdale, Arizona USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_the_red View Post
Very true ..... but it did impact our play and specifically our ability to defend early in the season - we're in a much better place defensively now
I am sure that there is a certain amount of game ready preparation that may have been missed out on by having the American tour, but I think the majority of it is overblown. There was always going to be a learning curve to the first 5-10 games of the season. And let's face it, the defensive lapses were more due to personnel than to being in game shape. Accrington scored 2 goals after Boyle got brought in the previous week. Boyle then immediately played an awkward header that could have been an own goal when he was subbed in this past weekend. Tozer's poor play wasn't because of his trip to America. He was dealing with a family tragedy and an injury. His return to form wasn't going to be expedited had they stayed in the UK. Barnett is a defensive liability too. Take a look at who was at RWB each game Wrexham have up 5 goals. The Foster situation most likely still happens if they didn't travel. McClean signed the day before opening kickoff. They didn't get Evans til almost a month into the season. Not traveling to the US doesn't really alleviate any of those problems.

The idea that heading to the US put a damper on recruiting is also overblown. They can walk and chew gum at the same time. McClean, Evans, and ultimately Okonkwo don't get signed earlier because of the travel. Could they have missed out on players because they were gone? It's possible, but if they wanted a player and a player wanted them, it would have happened.

In fact, who's to say that touring America, with the prestige it brought didn't play into the decisions of getting McClean, Evans, or Okonkwo. Wrexham have proven they can help fill a stadium of 35K and 60k. They got to play against some of the better players in the world in playing Chelsea.

Anyway, I think that the argument that they would have been so much more ready for the first 5-10 games had they not gone to America is over-exaggerated. But what can't be over-exaggerated, is the money and exposure it brought to the club which will inarguably help get the team promoted from L2 and continue to build for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Scribblenütz; 27th November 2023 at 20.45:22..
Old 27th November 2023, 20.46:47   #30-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribblenütz View Post
I am sure that there is a certain amount of game ready preparation that may have been missed out on by having the American tour, but I think the majority of it is overblown. There was always going to be a learning curve to the first 5-10 games of the season. And let's face it, the defensive lapses were more due to personnel than to being in game shape. Accrington scored 2 goals after Boyle got brought in the previous week. Boyle then immediately played an awkward header that could have been an own goal when he was subbed in this past weekend. Tozer's poor play wasn't because of his trip to America. He was dealing with a family tragedy and an injury. His return to form wasn't going to be expedited had they stayed in the UK. Barnett is a defensive liability too. Take a look at who was at RWB each game Wrexham have up 5 goals. The Foster situation most likely still happens if they didn't travel. McClean signed the day before opening kickoff. They didn't get Evans til almost a month into the season. Not traveling to the US doesn't really alleviate any of those problems.

The idea that heading to the US put a damper on recruiting is also overblown. They can walk and chew gum at the same time. McClean, Evans, and ultimately Okonkwo don't get signed earlier because of the travel. Could they have missed out on players because they were gone? It's possible, but if they wanted a player and a player wanted them, it would have happened.

In fact, who's to say that touring America, with the prestige it brought didn't play into the decisions of getting McClean, Evans, or Okonkwo. Wrexham have proven they can help fill a stadium of 35K and 60k. They got to play against some of the better players in the world in playing Chelsea.

Anyway, I think that the argument that they would have been so much more ready for the first 5-10 games had they not gone to America is over-exaggerated. But what can't be over-exaggerated, is the money and exposure it brought to the club which will inarguably help get the team promoted from L2 and continue to build for the foreseeable future.
100% agree. It made a minor difference, not a major one.
Old 27th November 2023, 21.01:35   #31-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

We're on the same page here lads. It's all a net positive and a slow start means nothing now. In a fantastic spot to challenge for automatic promotion nearly halfway through the season and every step up the ladder/exposure internationally will continue to attract better and better footballers.

As we've said, who is to say McLean/Evans/Okonkwo come to Wrexham without the exposure they're attracting? All 3 are good enough to be playing regularly for many Championship sides - in my opinion there'll start to be more and more players with premier league experience who would be open to come to play for Wrexham if they can do a back-to-back this season.
Old 27th November 2023, 21.50:29   #32-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_the_red View Post
I think he's on 6 clean sheets in 12 games now - if he carried on at that rate for the rest of the season , even if we didn't score a single goal , he'd guarantee us getting to around 50 points come the end of the season .... it's November & if we didn't score another goal all season , Arthur's clean sheets would mean we won't get relegated

P.S. We're also the top scorers in the EFL / premiership
Some numbers on Arthur that are just a little bit impressive - https://x.com/wrexhamlowdown/status/...JOiQmCRe3NkXXw
Old 28th November 2023, 09.51:23   #33-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by windjc View Post
100% agree. It made a minor difference, not a major one.
Ben Foster getting back from the US 48 hours before our first game didn't make a minor difference !

Not being able to bring in the players we wanted in July made a reasonable difference .

The money from the tour is most welcome and it's a trade off but the time it takes to get used to playing in L2 was prolonged due to a lack of meaningful pre-season games.

Don't get me wrong , I think. the tour was great , but it certainly impacted the first few games
Old 28th November 2023, 10.14:20   #34-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Re: the US tour...ask yourself when did we hit our stride this season? Arguably it wasn't until 16 September when we beat Grimsby 3-0 (I'm discounting the away win at a piss poor Tranmere 2 weeks before that). Then we go to Stockport and get dicked 5-0. And of course we've got the Mullin injury as the legacy of that tour hanging over us.

It was a similar story in the last season. Undercooked after a shambles of a pre-season we didn't really click until beating Dagenham 4-1 on 13 September.

All ended well as we know, and I believe it will again this season but it would have been good to get off to a flyer.
Old 28th November 2023, 10.27:06   #35-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Mold road

Our pre season was about money and not footballing preparation, no one can possibly argue that. Just hope we’ve learnt from it and don’t do the same next season. We MIGHT get away with it this year, but we won’t IF we get promotion get away with it again. A nice solid pre-season close to home, playing decent championship sides behind close doors in regular Welsh temperatures please.
Old 28th November 2023, 10.43:09   #36-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfan1862 View Post
Our pre season was about money and not footballing preparation, no one can possibly argue that. Just hope we’ve learnt from it and don’t do the same next season. We MIGHT get away with it this year, but we won’t IF we get promotion get away with it again. A nice solid pre-season close to home, playing decent championship sides behind close doors in regular Welsh temperatures please.
I don't agree. I believe the tour made us in excess of £8m. Where else are we making that type of money ?

It's 2 weeks out of a 6 week pre-season. We just need to plan to be back 2 weeks before the first game rather than 6 days !
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 13.39:15.