RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Sutton United (A) Ratings Thread (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/123755-sutton-united-ratings-thread.html)

Lods 14th February 2024 09.22:49

Sutton United (A) Ratings Thread

Since nobody has made it yet:

[B]Okonkwo - 7:[/B] Made some good stops and was very unlucky to be beaten by a wicked deflection. Distribution wasn't 100%, though.
[B]Cleworth - 7:[/B] Wasn't fancy but did what he needed to do against a big brute like Harry Smith. Smith didn't really get anything from Max.
[B]O'Connell - 7:[/B] Solid at the back, I like him more than Tozer in that position in some ways and he makes his case for it every time he plays in the middle of the 3.
[B]Boyle - 7:[/B] Got a well taken goal and, like Cleworth, wasn't fancy but did the job of keeping the Sutton forwards quiet.
[B]Bolton - 7:[/B] My MOTM. Thought he was very good, and his pace stopped Omari Patrick who otherwise would have had a field day against our slow back 3. Also played a part in both goals, including an assist for Lee.
[B]McClean - 6:[/B] A very lucky boy to not be shown a straight red for the handball - letter of the law may have been on his side but we've all seen refs give them. We'd have been livid if a Sutton defender did the same and got away with it. Got no joy on the left and was very average, 6 because of that goal-saving block, however dubious it was.
[B]Evans - 6:[/B] What he did was good, but the Parky tactics of launching it from defence to forward meant he often was bypassed in order to try and quickly release Marriott.
[B]Cannon - 7:[/B] Same as Evans although he was all-action. Thought he was the pick of the midfield, though.
[B]Lee - 6:[/B] Still in his dip in form but came good with his winner. Someone you have to keep in the team because he can be anonymous for 89 minutes of a game but deliver the goods with a moment of genius.
[B]Fletcher - 6:[/B] I understand the urge to long ball it to Fletcher as he is very good in the air but he got nothing, some clever play but it wasn't his day.
[B]Marriott - 6:[/B] Got in a few times and was always looking to beat the offside trap. Very relieved to realised he is a different option to Mullin, someone who is very direct a runner.

[B]SUBS[/B]
[B]Young - 7:[/B] Played simple football but it was what was needed. Made some great tackles too, I know "Young: 7" is a bit of a running joke but I genuinely believe he was a 7 in the half hour he played.
[B]Mullin - 7:[/B] We started playing when he and Palmer came on and, whilst the equalizer was just unlucky, I thought Mullin and Palmer looked more likely to score than Fletcher and Marriott did.
[B]Palmer - 7:[/B] See above.
[B]Mendy - N/A:[/B] Not on long enough to rate.

I agree with a lot of people there is still work to be done, but I think 6s and 7s are fair all round for grinding out a horrible, ugly win on a horrible, ugly pitch on a horrible, ugly Tuesday night.

Red_not_Dead 14th February 2024 10.12:53

Re: Sutton United (A) Ratings Thread

[QUOTE=Lods;2825663]Since nobody has made it yet:

[B]Okonkwo - 7:[/B] Made some good stops and was very unlucky to be beaten by a wicked deflection. Distribution wasn't 100%, though.
[B]Cleworth - 7:[/B] Wasn't fancy but did what he needed to do against a big brute like Harry Smith. Smith didn't really get anything from Max.
[B]O'Connell - 7:[/B] Solid at the back, I like him more than Tozer in that position in some ways and he makes his case for it every time he plays in the middle of the 3.
[B]Boyle - 7:[/B] Got a well taken goal and, like Cleworth, wasn't fancy but did the job of keeping the Sutton forwards quiet.
[B]Bolton - 7:[/B] My MOTM. Thought he was very good, and his pace stopped Omari Patrick who otherwise would have had a field day against our slow back 3. Also played a part in both goals, including an assist for Lee.
[B]McClean - 6:[/B] A very lucky boy to not be shown a straight red for the handball - letter of the law may have been on his side but we've all seen refs give them. We'd have been livid if a Sutton defender did the same and got away with it. Got no joy on the left and was very average, 6 because of that goal-saving block, however dubious it was.
[B]Evans - 6:[/B] What he did was good, but the Parky tactics of launching it from defence to forward meant he often was bypassed in order to try and quickly release Marriott.
[B]Cannon - 7:[/B] Same as Evans although he was all-action. Thought he was the pick of the midfield, though.
[B]Lee - 6:[/B] Still in his dip in form but came good with his winner. Someone you have to keep in the team because he can be anonymous for 89 minutes of a game but deliver the goods with a moment of genius.
[B]Fletcher - 6:[/B] I understand the urge to long ball it to Fletcher as he is very good in the air but he got nothing, some clever play but it wasn't his day.
[B]Marriott - 6:[/B] Got in a few times and was always looking to beat the offside trap. Very relieved to realised he is a different option to Mullin, someone who is very direct a runner.

[B]SUBS[/B]
[B]Young - 7:[/B] Played simple football but it was what was needed. Made some great tackles too, I know "Young: 7" is a bit of a running joke but I genuinely believe he was a 7 in the half hour he played.
[B]Mullin - 7:[/B] We started playing when he and Palmer came on and, whilst the equalizer was just unlucky, I thought Mullin and Palmer looked more likely to score than Fletcher and Marriott did.
[B]Palmer - 7:[/B] See above.
[B]Mendy - N/A:[/B] Not on long enough to rate.

I agree with a lot of people there is still work to be done, but I think 6s and 7s are fair all round for grinding out a horrible, ugly win on a horrible, ugly pitch on a horrible, ugly Tuesday night.[/QUOTE]

We won at the end of the day but I thought long balls against a physical side like Sutton was the wrong tactic.. against Notts I could understand but PP knows more than me and last night I think he managed not only the tactics but the conditions.. hopefully we can start a run from here.

sparky 14th February 2024 10.16:25

Arthur 7.5

Bolton 7

Max 8
EOC 7
Boyle 7.5

McLean 6

Evans 6
Lee 6
Cannon7

Fletcher 6
Marriot 4

Unlike Bradford, all the subs made a positive impact.

Alan Attack 14th February 2024 10.35:49

Okonkwo 8

Cleworth 7
O’Connell 7
Boyle 7

Bolton 7
Cannon 7
Evans 6
Lee 7
McClean 6

Fletcher 6
Marriott 6

WREX01 14th February 2024 10.41:19

[QUOTE=sparky;2825682]Arthur 7.5

Bolton 7

Max 8
EOC 7
Boyle 7.5

McLean 6

Evans 6
Lee 6
Cannon7

Fletcher 6
Marriot 4

Unlike Bradford, all the subs made a positive impact.[/QUOTE]

Marriott a 4? I thought he looked decent.

EnglishRed 14th February 2024 10.56:40

Okonkwo 6.5

Cleworth 6.5
O’Connell 6.5
Boyle 6.5

Bolton 6.5
Cannon 6.5
Evans 6
Lee 6
McClean 6

Fletcher 6
Marriott 6

Although we won, and in difficult conditions, it wasn't a great performance and I find it difficult to rate anyone particularly highly. The defence, Bolton and Cannon and Okonkwo probably the best of the bunch. Lee would have got a lower score as he really struggled to impose himself. But gets a bump because eof a well taken goal (he should have scored a second though).

KT12 Exile 14th February 2024 11.05:17

Okonkwo 8
McLean 5
Boyle 7
EoC 6
Cleworth 6
Bolton 7
Evans 5
Cannon 6
Lee 6
Marriott 6
Fletcher 6

Subs
Young 7
Mullin 7
Palmer 6
Mendy N/A only on for a few minutes

Alan Attack 14th February 2024 11.15:14

You have to be fair and balanced. If you’re winning a game, you’re not scoring 5 out of 10 unless you were really crap and subbed off after an hour.

Given the conditions, it wouldn’t be unfair to add a point to ratings.

dragon48 14th February 2024 11.21:24

On a decent pitch on a dry day, I think Bolton could be an exciting player.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 01.17:36.