Wrexham Evening Leader

Silencing the boo-boys

David Lovett
by David Lovett


Seven up for Smith
By David Lovett, Wrexham Evening Leader

Denis SmithWREXHAM manager Denis Smith looks set for another champagne moment after the Reds won seven and drew one of their eight league games in April.

That should be more than enough to see him lift the Division Three manager of the month award for the second time this season.

There will also be champagne celebrations on Saturday night – and you could be invited to the exclusive party as the Evening Leader offers the price of a lifetime for any Wrexham fan.

Turn to page two for how to enter our great competition.

Lee TrundleDEFIANT Lee Trundle has a message for waiting boo-boys at Bury on Saturday.

Trundle, in turmoil over the weekend, missed Wrexham's promotion party – but came back with a vengeance last night.

Manager Denis Smith stuck the lively Liverpudlian straight back into the firing line for the 1-0 win at Leyton Orient whose fans gave Trundle a tough time following his arrest by police.

But Trundle – bailed until October – said: "I did get some stick from their fans. It's probably the result of all the publicity I've had since last Saturday, but I can take any amount of that. As a matter of fact people booing me only makes me try even harder.

“We're at Bury on Saturday in our last league game and if their fans start booing me, I'll be doing my best to ram that down their throats with a goal - or two!

"I thought it was fantastic for the gaffer to put me straight back into the side tonight. It must have surprised a few people after what's happened, but the reception I got from the Wrexham fans here was unbelievable. It really touched me that."

Trundle was sharp as he and top scorer, Andy Morrell, again provided Wrexham's cutting-edge. It was Wrexham's dynamic duo who produced the matchwinner midway through the first-half. Trundle did all the donkey work to win a penalty and thoroughbred Morrell fired his 34th league goal of the season from the spot.

Orient defender, Justin Miller, who brought Trundle down was sent off by referee, Mark Cooper.

Smith said: "I put Lee Trundle back into the side because he has been playing regularly until last Saturday. He has been our number one alongside Andy Morrell and everything we do with Lee Trundle is involved with football - and that's how it should be.

“Tonight was all about character and he's shown he's got it, as have the other players.

“The sending-off? I think it's a silly rule but I don't think the referee has had any option. It's a shame for the lad. We didn't want him sent off. But it's the law and the ref's interpreted it to the letter.

“I thought after Saturday, for the lads to come here and perform was always going to be difficult. But, as I say, they've shown real character and now they want to go to Bury on Saturday and finish up as runners-up in this division.

"I must admit, I'm pleased about that. It shows they're winners and that they're not happy just to accept getting automatic promotion. They've still got something to aim at - and we're going for it."

Wrexham must win at Bury to have a chance of being runners-up and Rushden must beat Hartlepool in the title decider. Those results will make Wrexham runners-up to the eventual champions on goal difference.


Morrell's spot on as Wrexham power on

Leyton Orient 0 Wrexham 1

Andy MorrellANDY MORRELL'S 34th League goal sealed another win for Wrexham and left them poised to challenge for the runners-up spot in the Third Division.

It keeps interest alive for their trip to Bury on Saturday when another victory would see them finish the campaign in second place if Rushden beat Hartlepool.

Manager Denis Smith said last night was a test of character for his players after all the excitement of the occasion when they secured promotion at the Racecourse last weekend.

"It was always going to be a difficult game for us but to perform in the way they did was a credit to our lads.

"Following their sending off and the penalty we did tend to be casual, which was not surprising. But, to be fair, Orient had a good go at us," said Smith.

The Dragons boss praised Lee Trundle who returned to the side following his release on bail until October by Liverpool police investigating allegations made by a young woman.

The 26-year-old striker had earlier issued statement through his solicitor denying all the claims against him and said the woman had been stalking him for months.

"To come back and play so well was all about character for him and the other lads," Smith said.

Trundle quickly settled into his usual front line role with Morrell after missing the match of his life at the weekend - and the party.

He caused so many problems for Orient's defence that it was no surprise when Justin Miller brought him down in the area after 23 minutes.

West Midlands based referee Mark Cooper brought out the red card to leave the home side with 10 men and Morrell stepped up to slot the spot kick past goalkeeper Glenn Morris.

From then on it was as good as finished as a contest, although Kristian Rogers was called on to made a good save from Orient captain Andy Harris.