View Single Post
Old 28th January 2016, 20.27:23   #378-0 (permalink)
eastsussexred
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: New RP'ers Introduce Yourselves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
So, in response to the encouragement to introduce myself, and in view of the threat of excommunication for the venal sin of lurking, here goes...

I think my first game was the 1974 FA Cup quarter final 1:0 defeat away to Burnley. I was privileged to watch Wrexham as a teenager in the golden years between 1975 and 1980. The first major highlight was the defeat by the odd goal to Anderlecht in the 1975/76 European Cup Winners Cup quarter final. If I remember correctly, they went on to beat West Ham 4:2 in the final, and Wrexham were the closest to beating them in the competition. Pretty awesome. And one of many amazing European adventures - perhaps the peak of them (a few years later) being the extraordinary 4:3 aggregate victory over Porto in 1984.

The 1977-78 season was the pinnacle. Quarter finals of both cup competitions - as a (as it was then) 3rd Division team - and Division 3 champions with the 7:1 victory in the final home game of the season against Rotherham. It eased the pain of narrowly losing out in previous seasons.

That was an awesome team. Some of the football was exhilarating. I would pick out the 4:1 demolition of Newcastle in the FA Cup replay. So many good players in that team. Dai Davies in goal (with Eddie Niedzwiecki - later to star with Chelsea - as reserve!), Dwyer and Hill as fullbacks, the ever consistent Gareth Davies and John Roberts in central defence, in midfield the ungainly but very effective Mel Sutton, the great Arfon Griffiths and the one and only Mickey Thomas just coming in to his prime. And then the attack force. The legendary Dixie McNeil, thunderboots Graham Whittle (who just seemed to explode from a very ordinary player to an incredible goal scorer, especially from range), and the silky skilled Bobby Shinton. I think Bobby was my favourite. He was capable of some amazing skill, and just brought something else to the games - fun, cheeky: some of his chipped goals to the far top corner were sublime.

Privileged days to be there...

And encouraged with the present set up (the stability of the Supporters' Trust ownership), new management, and the evident excitement around the club.

And to add that I appreciate the humour on this forum, and the affection and commitment to the team and club.

COYR

David
what a night that was (even though we lost). Just a pity that our younger fans have never experienced a night match on a full kop. If I remember correctly, didn't it hold 14,000 at one time?