View Single Post
Old 16th August 2017, 10.57:38   #61-0 (permalink)
TomWFC
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Upper Yale
Twitter: @

Default Re: Crying out for a creative midfielder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Attack View Post
I'm mindful to agree that Kelly would not be suited centrally in a 4-4-2 and neither is Carrington. We could do with a carbon copy of Wedgebury who seems to have the physical capabilities of playing centrally in a 2.

I wouldn't label Wedgebury or Carrington as defensive midfielders at all. I'd label them as midfielders; well Wedgebury anyway.
If you're going to just generalise them as 'midfielders' that would imply that they can both defend and attack, break-up play, pass well and create - that would be the attributes of all-round midfielders.

But can they pass well and create? Play incisive passes to our wingers & forwards? I'd strongly suggest they can't, hence their classification as 'defensive midfielders' in the eyes of the majority.

If we were to ever play 4-2-3-1, where would these two be better suited - in the two or in the three? In the two of course.

Their defensive attributes far outweigh their attacking, hence why when they both play we really struggle to create and open teams up.

I staggers me the lack of concern being shown by some in this regard. People have tended to go on about looking solid and not conceding, which is fine but shouldn't be at the expense of having creativity and posing a threat - the balance is the key.

If you do not create, you will rarely score. If you don't score, you don't win games.

So so fundamental.