View Single Post
Old 27th October 2017, 09.19:19   #476-0 (permalink)
eastsussexred
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

Just noticed that we are advertising that The Racecourse was built in 1807 https://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/club/my-racecourse

I believe that this may have been due to the book ' Wrexham Races- The Forgotten Welsh Racecourse, by Arthur N Shone, which was published in 1991. Arthur Shone had referred to an advertisment for The Wrexham Races on 'the new course' in The Chester Chronicle from September 1807, and this seems to have been picked up and published elsewhere online, but as previously posted, Wrexham Races were in existence in the 1600's and were advertised in London newspapers in the 1730's as well as other newspapers throughout the 18th Century, although I have not yet been able to confirm if these earlier races took place on Y cae Ras. However articles (attached) confirm that Wrexham Races were already taking place on the 'new course' (Our Racecourse) at least as far back as 1800, and hopefully the dates on our website will be changed to reflect this.

Last edited by eastsussexred; 27th October 2017 at 09.27:50..