View Single Post
Old 14th April 2018, 19.32:21   #19-0 (permalink)
exileddragon
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Who shall we retain?

Today was the first full game I've seen since the derby, but Wedgebury has been impressive on several occasions, so I'd absolutely keep him, as well as the two centre-backs (although both have been guilty of switching off at times, including today).

Quigley clearly has a lot to offer in terms of a physical presence and a goal threat, but I wouldn't want to be entirely reliant on him for goals as he does seem to spurn quite a lot of chances. Holyroyd showed what he's capable of earlier in the year, if he could sustain that for an entire season he could score 20-25, I'd guess.

Having said that, I think things other than recruitment (whether players or managers) also need to be addressed - half the Macclesfield team have played for Wrexham/Chester/etc, and vice versa, which heavily suggests it's not purely a question of personnel at this level. Also, it's easy to blame the manager, but a lot of different managers with different styles have tried and failed to gain promotion (Keates was doing a reasonably good job but there were plenty of blown leads and dropped points before he left), so getting someone else in the dugout isn't a silver bullet either.