View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2018, 23.02:19   #13-0 (permalink)
Rob
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand
Twitter: @

Default Re: A reminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalPirateMaterial View Post

"WE ALLOWED KEATES TO WALK AWAY"

Keates' contract was based on the League Managers Association standard contract which is an industry standard contract but we are able to negotiate around the edges of that. This contract was checked by our legal advisers before being presented, agreed and signed by Keates. When Walsall first approached us, we refused them permission to talk to Dean, the club is a decent and fair employer so we spoke to Dean as we were obliged to do so and informed him that Walsall had asked for permission to speak to him about the managers job. Dean said "They'll never pay the compensation in my contract, but if they are willing to then I'll speak to them". We shared the compensation amount with Walsall and they told us that they would meet it and we still refused them permission to speak to Keates.

Dean then told us that he would stay here and that he would tell Walsall himself why he wouldn't leave. Dean then spoke to his father and others who changed his mind and he then told us that he wanted to leave and as Walsall had met his payout clause, we were unable to legally not let him go to Walsall as per the terms of his contract.
contrast this to covering that in the relevant part of the official statement:

"Walsall FC approached us and triggered the release clause in Dean’s contract in full, therefore we were obliged to allow Dean the opportunity to speak to the club that he supports."

I don't think blow by blow accounts on everything are worthwhile, but in the circumstances of Keates going a little more indepth would have given the detractors less wiggle room to pick holes, and would have shown we were not keen on him going - and to be fair to Keates he didnt jump at first go.

More info that won't give away any competitive advantage should be welcome