View Single Post
Old 9th March 2020, 07.42:24   #698-0 (permalink)
eastsussexred
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafgog View Post
What a brilliant thread this is. I wonder will it lead to a book or even a series of talks at the Racecourse in time?Diolch to all.
Morning Dafgog, There is still a lot of research needed before a comprehensive history of The Racecourse can be published, in my opinion; for example, we now know that The Turf Tavern was built between 1793 and 1819, but cant find an exact date; likewise, we also now know that race meetings had been taking place in Wrexham since the 1600's with a new course set out for races in 1738 to 1740, but cannot yet confirm that these races took place on Y Cae Ras. Additionally, it would be preferable to be able to place Y Cae Ras in an historical context in relation to Wat's Dyke, which borders its eastern edge, although my own theory would place the construction of the dyke after The Battle of Conwy in 881AD, whereas the latest archaeological evidence from 2006 suggests a period around the 820's. Aside from this, it would also be preferable to be able to prove where the name 'Crispin' came from, and so I have also been working on this, but there is still a lot of work to do before it is ready for a book (imo)