View Single Post
Old 8th April 2020, 09.33:14   #4-0 (permalink)
Prodigal Dragon
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale/Wrexham Lager Stand Centre Section
Twitter: @

Default Re: Training ground vanity project

Previously, the FAW said we couldn't use Colliers' Parc because it was already being used by other teams/companies. It is worth asking the question again. If it's still no, then we need to find an alternative.

Most fans and the club accept that our use of 9 Acres is far from perfect, so an alternative would be better. This need is heightened because Wrexham CC want to build a new school on the land. The questioned asked is: why not redevelop the old Bromfield/Groves building, which has been derelict for many years, and has been subsequently listed after the intervention of the Welsh Assembly? I suspect it would be too costly to redevelop, especially as it is listed. Another stupid act by an incompetent Labour-led Assembly!

However, the land attached to the building is free and, presumably, has been offered at a pepper-corn rent to the club to redevelop as our new training ground. Presumably, there will be a NIMBY backlash to this proposal but, assuming that comes to nothing, what other, better, cheaper, alternative is out there which is currently available? There is sufficient space for 2 pitches and a changing facility. As a NL team, surely that is sufficient. Furthermore, if we do get back into the FL, it would still be adequate.

If the club takes up the offer -- which seems to be our best option if Colliers' Parc remains unavailable -- then the big question is how much do we spend? Which will be driven by how much we have had to reallocate from that budget to maintain our current, weekly expenditure.

I suspect we will have to do the minimum option initially, and spend more if and when our finances improve.

Fundamentally, we need a training ground; and the money previously allocated to it will now have to be spent on the playing budget for the next season, otherwise the squad will be weaker than it currently is. And looking at the current table, we cannot afford to weaken if we still want promotion.

We were in a precarious position before CV-19. Our country's reaction to the threat it poses has made a bad situation much worse unless the Board prioritize wisely.

Last edited by Prodigal Dragon; 8th April 2020 at 09.36:48..