View Single Post
Old 10th September 2020, 13.50:32   #1-0 (permalink)
BillEBadass
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand
Twitter: @

Default 'Never Say Dai' published 1986

Along with all fellow posters I was saddened to hear that Dai Davies was suffering from pancreatic cancer. It prompted me to re-read his book 'Never Say Dai'. Thirty four years on it gives many interesting insights into Wrexham F.C during his time between our sticks. Overall the book is a very good read for any football fan as it is honest,factual and well written.

I thought it would be interesting to mention just a few quotes from his work.

'Mike (Smith, then manager of Wales) said Wrexham were an ambituous club with facilities up to first division standard and players that would surely earn their place in the second division the following season'.

'Around the pitch there were magnificent seating and better resources than many I saw in the first division Indeed everything about Wrexham FC had been prepared for that division and the drive to achieve that status was apparent everywhere'

'I don't really know whether I ever played with a better team player than Dixie'

On comments that it was John Neal's team that won promotion - 'In my judgement that was completely unfair to Arfon for our team that year was Arfon Griffiths'team and no one else's.'

This is only a small selection and there are many more in the book. Good luck to Dai and thanks for being part of our greatest ever team.