Thread: Patrick Jones
View Single Post
Old 10th January 2021, 11.32:14   #23-0 (permalink)
Haruki
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road
Twitter: @

Default Re: Patrick Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Given how much has been wasted on Johnny Journeyman and co under WST ownership, I'm not buying that argument.

The youth debate has been done to death. I agree with a previous poster, it is the WST defining failure that can't be blamed on anyone else but themselves.

I'm sure the new guys have done their research and are reminded of just how important a part a decent youth system has had in our successful periods in the past, and how important it will be going forward.
The lack of money is a really poor excuse also. What attempts were made to fund the COE from other sources? Opportunities to sponsor the youth did not even feature in the clubs sponsorship brochure.
The youth never featured in any briefing or update emails from the club to members to keep interest up, they were never spoken about to local media.
As an example, once a year we could have had a “fund the youth” game. Get them on the racecourse and ask fans to pay a nominal amount with a voluntary higher entrance fee to fund the youth team. I certainly would have been prepared to pay yearly for that.
The club even rejected the chance to create a Directorship to drive acceptable standards even when all of the work was done for them by a members resolution. This was a zero cost solution laid out for them and they stood against it at the AGM.

As far as the board was concerned this was out of sight out of mind and they used lack of funds as their excuse rather than look for creative ways to keep the centre prosperous