View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2021, 11.13:50   #43-0 (permalink)
ted mcwhirter
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road
Twitter: @

Default Re: Chesterfield Saturday 23rd

Well I've watched all of the streamed games and if it's on, I'll watch again. Why? Because, irrespective of the quality of the fare, regardless of who's manager or owner I support Wrexham Football Club. I have done since I was six, have spent the subsequent 54 years supporting them and will continue until my dying breath. I look back fondly at my the memory of my Taid holding my hand as we walked down Mold Road with the smell of Woodbine in my nostrils and the envy in my heart of those kids with wooden rattles. He started supporting them before the first world war. His father wasn't ever able to take him to Cae Ras as he was killed in a mining accident when my Taid was a child.

Support for my team, like my working class roots runs in my blood and has given me incredible highs and gut-wrenching lows. I read the posts on this site and invariably leave, saddened at the level of negativity and downright spite that some of the posters casually spit out. I'm sure that their reply would be that they love the club too and I sympathise with those who make logical and cogent arguments. But why take delight in telling everyone - repeatedly - that you're sick of supporting the club and that you're not going to watch them until a permanent warm sun shines blithely on all four corners of the ground.

If Covid and my health allows me I'll return to my seat in the Mold Rd for the first game that I'm able to and I'll go to as many away games as I can. I'll be pissed off when we lose and delighted when we win or play well but whatever happens I'll still support Wrexham Football Club as will the silent majority of those who neither read the posts on here nor care about the opinions expressed. Mine included.

COYR