RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Released players/list (updating today) (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/109667-released-players-list-updating-today.html)

EnglishRed 3rd May 2017 08.50:41

Re: Released players/list (updating today)

Im going to put two and two together and say that Keates has people in mind. Riley has injury problems as we all know. He's a good player and it's a shame but there are players as good if not better than him out there and within our reach.

wrexhamforever16 3rd May 2017 09.20:13

[QUOTE=Todd Sweeney;2021814]MARTIN RILEY insists he did not even discuss a new contract with Wrexham boss Dean Keates before being axed by the club.

The newly crowned Player of the Year was arguably the biggest surprise when he was announced as one of nine players who weren’t retained by Keates after Wrexham finished 13th in the National League this season.

Some reports suggested Riley was not prepared to take a pay-cut but the centre-back says he didn’t get offered a new deal.

“I did not even get to discuss terms,” said Riley. “The gaffer told my agent a few weeks ago that he wanted to keep me under reduced terms.

“I was expecting an offer on lower terms but it never came.

“I did not get any offer which I was surprised about because I was expecting something but that was not the case. Since the gaffer has come in I have barely put a foot wrong.

“I have seen (on social media) that I was on too much money but I was prepared to take a small pay-cut to stay.”[/QUOTE]

Just reading the last paragraph there, I'm alost certain that he was one if not the highest payed player herd and it must have been a big wedge too. Maybe it's well done keates for getting rid and finding someone who's as effective on smaller wage, hopefully anyway.

Teifi Red 3rd May 2017 09.22:54

[QUOTE=billybersham;2021808]Riley had only played 16 matches in season 15-16 due to being injured and poor form would he have been in a position to demand a very good wage?What if keates is looking at bringing in say six or seven players on 2 year deals and then he could entice a better standard of player.[/QUOTE]

No idea sorry. But, with what we now know about the way Mills recruits players, would a poor season or injuries made a difference to him if he was looking to sign a player?
The "scatter gun" approach is his favoured method as seen in York the past few months. In view of that I think he signed 3 or 4 big wage players such as Riley and White and filled the gaps with what was left. Just my take on it.

jonesfach 3rd May 2017 09.36:18

[QUOTE=EnglishRed;2021818]Im going to put two and two together and say that Keates has people in mind. Riley has injury problems as we all know. He's a good player and it's a shame but there are players as good if not better than him out there and within our reach.[/QUOTE]

This. DK must have been planning to keep him until he has had an agreement off another player. A dangerous game but one I think he will get right.....after all he could always go back to Riley. Whether he would then sign is a different matter but seeing that Tranmere let him go last year and now ourselves this year his stock is declining. Will end up at Solihull/Tamworth??

John Neals Dynasty 3rd May 2017 09.39:32

[QUOTE=Jaded;2021793]Who's saying they're on the same pay or less? I'm sure Dean knows how much he feels players are worth paying; just because he's offered Penn (for example) a certain amount doesn't mean he won't offer more to another player he rates more highly.[/QUOTE]

Or it might just be the case as a lot of fans said Keates was the cheap option, that he is not getting paid a lot for being our manager and he wouldn't want to offer players more than he is on, just a thought, let's just wait and see who he manages to sign with his bigger budget and BTB.... Not a criticism of him just could be a case of the money you have to pay to attract better players when up against sugar daddy clubs.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

Danny Boy 3rd May 2017 09.39:59

[quote=jonesfach;2021834]This. DK must have been planning to keep him until he has had an agreement off another player. A dangerous game but one I think he will get right.....after all he could always go back to Riley. Whether he would then sign is a different matter but seeing that Tranmere let him go last year and now ourselves this year his stock is declining. Will end up at Solihull/Tamworth??[/quote]

I wouldn't be surprised, Fylde might be an option for him though....they could make the extra commute worth his while.

Todd Sweeney 3rd May 2017 09.44:15

[QUOTE=John Neals Dynasty;2021835][B]Or it might just be the case as a lot of fans said Keates was the cheap option, that he is not getting paid a lot for being our manager and he wouldn't want to offer players more than he is on, just a thought,[/B] let's just wait and see who he manages to sign with his bigger budget and BTB.... Not a criticism of him just could be a case of the money you have to pay to attract better players when up against sugar daddy clubs.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

You're not serious I presume? That is quite a far-fetched conspiracy theory. You are suggesting that, even though our budget is going up, Keates will look to sign lower paid and likely worse players, scuppering both our promotion hopes and likely his future management career, because he doesn't want players to be paid more than him?

LMH23 3rd May 2017 09.44:33

[QUOTE=John Neals Dynasty;2021835]Or it might just be the case as a lot of fans said Keates was the cheap option, that he is not getting paid a lot for being our manager and he wouldn't want to offer players more than he is on[/QUOTE]

Don't see the purpose of this if you don't actually know. Comments like this get stuck in some peoples' skulls and becomes fact if you're not careful.

John Neals Dynasty 3rd May 2017 09.45:37

[QUOTE=Omni;2021795]If we couldn't afford him he wouldn't have been with us in the first place. It's called value for money. If DK thinks he can sign better for the same cash or even a bit more then it's a no brainier.

Same applies to White, yes he improved towards the end of the season but can you really justify a new contract based on a handful of tap ins and the fact he jumped a bit higher when there's probably better out there for the same cash.[/QUOTE]

If we couldn't afford him he wouldn't of been with us in the first place???
Mills signed him we know he paid out high contracts as to my comment it's off his Twitter that his agent said Keates wanted to keep him but offered less money.
Would you take a cut in pay from a company you work for doing the same job????
It's irrelevant if Mills paid to much and what Dean thinks is a fair wage, no player will take a paycut unless he can't get more elsewhere, like Rutherford and Carrington, Penn and Dunn if they don't sign because of wage offered will show if we're competing contract wise.

Todd Sweeney 3rd May 2017 09.48:56

[QUOTE=John Neals Dynasty;2021842]If we couldn't afford him he wouldn't of been with us in the first place???
Mills signed him we know he paid out high contracts as to my comment it's off his Twitter that his agent said Keates wanted to keep him but offered less money.
Would you take a cut in pay from a company you work for doing the same job????
It's irrelevant if Mills paid to much and what Dean thinks is a fair wage, no player will take a paycut unless he can't get more elsewhere, like Rutherford and Carrington, Penn and Dunn if they don't sign because of wage offered will show if we're competing contract wise.

That's not true. Riley said in his interview with the Leader that “I have seen (on social media) that I was on too much money but I was prepared to take a small pay-cut to stay.”

John Neals Dynasty 3rd May 2017 09.55:35

[QUOTE=Todd Sweeney;2021843]That's not true. Riley said in his interview with the Leader that “I have seen (on social media) that I was on too much money but I was prepared to take a small pay-cut to stay.”[/QUOTE]

Ok fair enough TS I dont read papers.

Omni 3rd May 2017 09.58:31

[QUOTE=John Neals Dynasty;2021842]
[B]Would you take a cut in pay from a company you work for doing the same job???? [/B]
It's irrelevant if Mills paid to much and what Dean thinks is a fair wage, [B]no player will take a paycut unless he can't get more elsewhere[/B], like Rutherford and Carrington, Penn and Dunn if they don't sign because of wage offered will show if we're competing contract wise.

If I'd been absent from work as much as he has been in the last two years I'd be lucky to have a job, never mind take a pay cut.

He's already said that he'd have been prepared to take a small pay cut so your argument doesn't hold water. As other posters have said, its highly likely in the time between speaking to Riley's agent (Speight) and offering contacts, he's found better value.

Just wild speculation now, but what's to say he didn't ask Speight how much Pearson was on? If it was comparative, I'd know who I'd prefer to sign.

panda23 3rd May 2017 10.05:55

Barry allegedly signing for Chester

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

EnglishRed 3rd May 2017 10.07:57

[quote=panda23;2021851]barry allegedly signing for chester

sent from my d6603 using tapatalk[/quote]

lolz

LlayDragon 3rd May 2017 10.17:30

[QUOTE=panda23;2021851]Barry allegedly signing for Chester

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Jolly good.

Phils-an-alki 3rd May 2017 10.20:43

:crampe: :crampe:

Hometown Unicorn 3rd May 2017 10.38:13

They're going down.

Socrates 3rd May 2017 10.38:44

They have just signed Harry White from Solihull Moors

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Todd Sweeney 3rd May 2017 10.47:44

[QUOTE=Socrates;2021871]They have just signed Harry White from Solihull Moors

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Barry White?

John Neals Dynasty 3rd May 2017 11.20:26

[QUOTE=Omni;2021848]If I'd been absent from work as much as he has been in the last two years I'd be lucky to have a job, never mind take a pay cut.

He's already said that he'd have been prepared to take a small pay cut so your argument doesn't hold water. As other posters have said, its highly likely in the time between speaking to Riley's agent (Speight) and offering contacts, he's found better value.

Just wild speculation now, but what's to say he didn't ask Speight how much Pearson was on? If it was comparative, I'd know who I'd prefer to sign.[/QUOTE]

You didn't answer my question would you take a paycut with inflation on the rise from your employer assuming you are employed and not self employed or other. So would you take a pay cut doing the same job?
As you say Riley says he was willing to take a small cut, but maybe that wouldn't of been enough.
It amazes me how many have said Riley was our player of the season and now he wasn't that good, as to always injured when was he last out with an injury prior toast few games? Lots of players get injured no guarantees who replaces him doesn't, that's football.

I'm not criticising Keates letting him go far from it, but I don't get this Wrexham fan mentality of thinking good players will sign for us for average to low wages, if they are good enough to get more elsewhere, hence why we can't compete with part time players earning more in 2 jobs.

EnglishRed 3rd May 2017 12.02:29

[QUOTE=Socrates;2021871]They have just signed Harry White from Solihull Moors

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

That's either going to be a good signing​ for then or like Akintunde he could be injured all season. He had a move to Kidderminster cancelled last year when he failed the medical. Big risk!

Omni 3rd May 2017 12.11:17

[QUOTE=John Neals Dynasty;2021886]You didn't answer my question would you take a paycut with inflation on the rise from your employer assuming you are employed and not self employed or other. So would you take a pay cut doing the same job?
As you say Riley says he was willing to take a small cut, but maybe that wouldn't of been enough.
It amazes me how many have said Riley was our player of the season and now he wasn't that good, as to always injured when was he last out with an injury prior toast few games? Lots of players get injured no guarantees who replaces him doesn't, that's football.

I'm not criticising Keates letting him go far from it, but I don't get this Wrexham fan mentality of thinking good players will sign for us for average to low wages, if they are good enough to get more elsewhere, hence why we can't compete with part time players earning more in 2 jobs.

It's all relative though isn't it. Lots of people take pay cuts to remain in employment. I took an effective pay cut by choosing to work from Liverpool rather than Wrexham; it all depends on the what the alternatives are. Also, most people's value to their employer doesn't start to decrease after hitting 30.

Perhaps Riley could get a better deal elsewhere but it may be dependant on moving house. All these points are moot anyway as he said he would've taken a pay cut.

No one is expecting Keates to sign good players for average to low wages, what I'm expecting him to do is get a better quality of player for the money that the likes of Riley and Rooney were on.

panda23 3rd May 2017 12.53:47

[QUOTE=EnglishRed;2021907]That's either going to be a good signing​ for then or like Akintunde he could be injured all season. He had a move to Kidderminster cancelled last year when he failed the medical. Big risk![/QUOTE]
Akintunde has signed a 12 month deal for next season.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Ronaldo to Wrexham 3rd May 2017 13.33:31

[QUOTE=John Neals Dynasty;2021886]You didn't answer my question would you take a paycut with inflation on the rise from your employer assuming you are employed and not self employed or other. So would you take a pay cut doing the same job?

Some players have taken pay cuts in the past - some times people have to take pay cuts to keep their job - I know in the public sector their have been pension increases and at times pay freezes - which is in effect a pay cut. Unless players know they can get better elsewhere a pay cut is better than no job. However Riley despite being prepared to do this wasn't offered a deal. Keates must feel he can utilise the budget better - he may get a cheaper defender and spend more on a striker for example. Good luck to Riley - I like him as a player - and felt his form improved under Keates.

pricey 3rd May 2017 13.40:45

Shame, I always liked Riley. You have to assume Keates has other targets lined up as that seems a big call. Over to you gaffer!

EnglishRed 3rd May 2017 13.42:44

[QUOTE=panda23;2021921]Akintunde has signed a 12 month deal for next season.

Presumably they feel he's over his problems. Two potential crocks. Even riskier!

LWR 3rd May 2017 14.04:41

You cant compare football to a real job. How many jobs work on 1/2 year deals knowing your career will only last 10-12 years at very maximum.

John Neals Dynasty 3rd May 2017 15.37:20

[QUOTE=LWR;2021936]You cant compare football to a real job. How many jobs work on 1/2 year deals knowing your career will only last 10-12 years at very maximum.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but you can they have bills/mortgages or rent to pay same as anyone else. At this level money ain't great so they will want as much as they can get, hence why a lot are part time with decent jobs.

Money talks like it or not.

Connah's Quay Red 3rd May 2017 15.47:26

Matt Tubbs was part time til he was 27, I think I read his day job paid him £60/70k so obviously he was happy to stay part time and earn a bit extra with Salisbury.

KingBuxton_Forever red 3rd May 2017 17.15:50

[QUOTE=John Neals Dynasty;2021991]I'm sorry but you can they have bills/mortgages or rent to pay same as anyone else. At this level money ain't great so they will want as much as they can get, hence why a lot are part time with decent jobs.

Money talks like it or not.

The principle of what he is saying is right though.

I cant supplement my wage my going on telly and talking about Insurance for example.

Hometown Unicorn 3rd May 2017 17.39:10

[QUOTE=KingBuxton_Forever red;2022049]I cant supplement my wage my going on telly and talking about Insurance for example.[/QUOTE]

You could hold conferences if you're really good ;)

I agree with LWR too though. Completely incomparable.

t1954 3rd May 2017 17.40:34

Do we know whether Keates has said, he is willing to pay more than to the likes of Rooney, Riley etc to get the right quality? Are we on a ridged pay structure, with a pay ceiling? I suppose the next few weeks will be a good indication.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 18.48:02.