RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Ebbsfleet Overall Assessment (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/112575-ebbsfleet-overall-assessment.html)

howardrd 15th September 2018 19.35:04

Re: Ebbsfleet Overall Assessment

[QUOTE=WREX01;2182013]Rutherford -10
Summerfield- 10
Beavon -10

I’m glad Holroyd showed that he’s still got it.

Squad rotation is working .

Special mention for Lawlor , big shoes to fill but he looked great.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

Was very impressed with Holroyd's positional play especially first half when his runs off the ball stretched their defence and opened up space for the midfield to exploit.
It is great to have decent quality in depth.

Birdy 15th September 2018 20.00:24

That first half was probably the best first half in the last 10 years, certainly since we have been in the conference.

Just goes to show how much better a manager SR is than Keates in that he can rotate players and come up with that kind of performance plus he is so more tactically astute than Keates is.

Pinnerred 15th September 2018 20.00:50

Great result. I went to Wycombe v Oxford as its only about 17 m from home although it would have been quicker to have gone to Wrexham. We are at least as good as both of these league one teams. We also have a better left back than Wycombe!

ABd 15th September 2018 20.01:22

I had a good feeling, even before we scored. Everyone looked up for it. Our passing was sharp and quick, all of our players looked confident and assured - helped massively by the outstanding midfield three.

I used to think Wedgebury was a good midfielder, but then you see Summerfield and Walker today - that's what a midfielder should be! Some of the little touches and forward passes by Walker were great.. he's got so much quality, just little things like the disguised passes.

Pyke is so good at running down that right channel.. he must have a few assists now as well? And as for the back-heels, he really has got that down to a tee!

Holroyd's finish was great - I think to get the best out of him you have to play him centrally.. Pyke, Beavon and JMD are more suited to the wider areas.

Red Light 15th September 2018 20.21:51

Fabulous first half display against a team unbeaten on their travels - until today.

Bold changes by Ricketts.

Movement up front and passing / interplay early on were superb - what's more every team member was buzzing with energy and pace - a different style of play with Holroyd, Pyke and Beavon all seeing a lot of the ball - fantastic support from Rutherford.
The laboured approach and slow build up / hoofball to the isolated solitary striker (Fondop) had all but gone.

However, I hope Ricketts is not completely satisfied - the second half showing was poor which we lost 1 - 0 - we need to do it for 90 minutes. Second half we seemed to ease off and let them get back into the game.

Was impressed with their right winger 11 Weston who was ripping Jennings apart who was already on a yellow - just as Ebbsfleet seemed to get some success they changed it and Weston went to the left flank where he was up against Roberts and was far less effective eventually dropping back into midfield.

Agree with earlier comments - Lawlor was immense at the back and didn't put a foot wrong all afternoon - a vast improvement on the display he put in v Halifax.

All in all the best first half display in living memory - to be crowned Champions we must strive to improve and put that same type of performance in for a full game.

Sommerfield & Lawlor tie for my MOTM although there were many excellent displays today - it all came together.

dlrwrexham 15th September 2018 20.25:19

[QUOTE=howardrd;2182077]Was very impressed with Holroyd's positional play especially first half when his runs off the ball stretched their defence and opened up space for the midfield to exploit.
It is great to have decent quality in depth.[/QUOTE]

Not knocking Big Mike or JM-D one bit,but the three up top today gave us so much energy,Holroyd,Beavon and Pyke are all real grafters,and I think that was influential.Big Mike and JM-D are our two potential game-changers,so maybe not a bad bench to have today.:)

My first real look at Walker too,and he looked very composed on the ball,picked some good passes and looks a big,strong lad.I'd say the only midfielder who's really nailed on ATM is Summerfield [who was outstanding again],Young,Wright,Ruthers and Walker are all looking good,and worthy of a place.Nice to be spoiled for choice!.:)

Birdy 15th September 2018 20.41:16

[QUOTE=dlrwrexham;2182090]My first real look at Walker too,and he looked very composed on the ball,picked some good passes and looks a big,strong lad.I'd say the only midfielder who's really nailed on ATM is Summerfield [who was outstanding again],Young,Wright,Ruthers and Walker are all looking good,and worthy of a place.Nice to be spoiled for choice!.:)[/QUOTE]

And to think people labelled Wedgebury as one of the best midfielders in the conference :toilet:

Back of the Kop 15th September 2018 20.47:41

......and apparently our best start to a season since 1976 !!! :hurray::hurray::hurray:

Welsh Kiwi 15th September 2018 20.50:19

We have our own Luke Skywalker at Wrexham AFC. A Midfield Jedi...

Whisper it quietly...

[SIZE="1"]Champions 2018/19[/SIZE]

#WePlayWithNoFear

#ForzaWrecsam

OneLoveWrexham 15th September 2018 20.50:25

[QUOTE=Birdy;2182092]And to think people labelled Wedgebury as one of the best midfielders in the conference :toilet:[/QUOTE]
Exactly, he wouldn’t get on our bench. Kept saying last season he’s a liability and vastly overrated so him jibbing us off is our gain.

billybersham 15th September 2018 20.55:01

[QUOTE=OneLoveWrexham;2182098]Exactly, he wouldn’t get on our bench. Kept saying last season he’s a liability and vastly overrated so him jibbing us off is our gain.[/QUOTE]

Many wanted us to retain Kelly the midfield maestro who played killer balls every saturday!

Birdy 15th September 2018 20.57:22

[QUOTE=Welsh Kiwi;2182097]We have our own Luke Skywalker at Wrexham AFC. A Midfield Jedi...

Whisper it quietly...

[SIZE="1"]Champions 2018/19[/SIZE]

#WePlayWithNoFear

#ForzaWrecsam[/QUOTE]

Oi you got your own thread for your brainwashing, keep it on there.

Rob Edwards 15th September 2018 21.15:01

[QUOTE=Colonel D;2182009]Good result against a team who were blown away in the first half.
My motm was our new centre back who never put a foot wrong.[/QUOTE]

Agree think he was class today-great partner for Pearson.Excellent that he is on a 2 year deal too.

redavid 15th September 2018 21.20:33

[QUOTE=Colonel D;2182016]Interesting I thought Walker was our weakest midfield player.[/QUOTE]

He was excellent

Corner Flag 15th September 2018 21.30:25

[QUOTE=Rob Edwards;2182104]Agree think he was class today-great partner for Pearson.Excellent that he is on a 2 year deal too.[/QUOTE]

Great result abd great to watch,we need to offer Pearson a 2yr contract extension and try to buy some of our loan players. looking rather good .

sionwxm 15th September 2018 21.48:17

Radio Wales pointed out that Walker was magnificent in midfield. Long may it continue. COYR

Pen Dafad 15th September 2018 22.30:16

For the first time in years, it actually looks like we do things in training that the players are buying into and taking on board. First half was exceptional, passing and movement was a pleasure to watch. Second half was as expected. Very rarely do 4-0 ht leads end up as 8 or 9. Early scare but the team managed the second half well. There is hope...

Red Light 15th September 2018 22.35:00

Keates departure was not well received at the time but it's turning out to be the best transfer business in a long time which has left us in a far better place.

Starting to look like a real team we can be justly proud of - superb first 30 minutes today - went up a notch and played the best football we have all season and beyond.

Draig Wrecsam 15th September 2018 22.45:20

That first half was the most complete performance I've seen from Wrexham in the non-league era. It was also arguably the strongest bench we've had at this level. It's hard not to get excited if you believe this squad will get stronger as the season progresses.

jayjay 15th September 2018 22.48:48

[QUOTE=Colonel D;2182016]Interesting I thought Walker was our weakest midfield player.[/QUOTE]

How you've come to that conclusion is baffling

sionwxm 15th September 2018 23.02:38

Exceptional managerial skills from SR leaving arguably our 3 best attacking players on the bench and still be 4-0 up at half time. He knows what he’s doing and isn’t afraid to do what he believes is right. Top manager in the making

pagl 16th September 2018 04.10:13

[QUOTE=Birdy;2182084]That first half was probably the best first half in the last 10 years, certainly since we have been in the conference.

Just goes to show how much better a manager SR is than Keates in that he can rotate players and come up with that kind of performance plus he is so more tactically astute than Keates is.[/QUOTE]

Keates departure is looking like a blessing.
Impressed with a lot of things Sam does and how he goes about things.
Not afraid to make changes in the game and early in the 2nd half, player rotation looks like some players are stepping up to the challenge and improving performances.

Onwards now to another tricky game - keep up the good work everyone :)

DenbighRed 16th September 2018 05.14:14

Very good performance from us today, special mentions to Summerfield, Walker, Lawlor and Pyke who I thought were all excellent.

But let’s not get carried away, frankly I thought Ebbsfleet were shockingly bad. Not only that, but 4 or 5 of their players looked chronically unfit and more like something you’d expect to see on a Sunday morning, not Saturday afternoon. Kedwell and Magri especially should be ashamed to call themselves professional footballers. If I was an ebbsfleet fan I’d be furious, being in good condition is the very least you expect from your players.

Ronaldo to Wrexham 16th September 2018 06.35:26

[QUOTE=DenbighRed;2182134]Very good performance from us today, special mentions to Summerfield, Walker, Lawlor and Pyke who I thought were all excellent.

But let’s not get carried away, frankly I thought Ebbsfleet were shockingly bad. Not only that, but 4 or 5 of their players looked chronically unfit and more like something you’d expect to see on a Sunday morning, not Saturday afternoon. Kedwell and Magri especially should be ashamed to call themselves professional footballers. If I was an ebbsfleet fan I’d be furious, being in good condition is the very least you expect from your players.[/QUOTE]
The same shockingly bad unfit players that embarrassed us towards the end of last season and got into the play offs ahead of us.

Ddraigoch 16th September 2018 06.37:16

After watching Ebbsfleet on tv last Saturday, I did say I thought they would be there for the taking.
However, you have to beat what is in front of you and we did that magnificently in the first half.
You can tell Walker has been coached at Crewe, simple things done very effectively. After a tricky start he was excellent, breaking up play and playing the ball through for others, sheer class at this level. What can you say about Summerfield? I think he has been the signing of the summer. Hope he's allowed to play at Sutton next week.

Was it any coincidence that this had been the first 'free' week since the beginning of the season? They had obviously been working on various things in training and the players responded brilliantl.

To see SDR's reaction when we conceded tells you everything about him as a manager. He was absolutely livid and was berating the players for slacking!!

Beavon was excellent throughout the game, never stopped closing down and you can see he is enjoying his football. Lawlor and Pearson were class.

So onto Sutton after another free week so what will Sam do this week?
Will be a hard game but they're are not as incisive as they were last year. Knowing Sam he will play MFT at left back!

Colonel D 16th September 2018 06.52:34

[QUOTE=jayjay;2182123]How you've come to that conclusion is baffling[/QUOTE]

I can normally spot class ,but in second half he was doing a bit of ball watching and was berated by Pearson after their goal.

Redordead 16th September 2018 07.07:15

[url]https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=qGrqS_-zRa0[/url]

Away day vlog here.

redavid 16th September 2018 07.27:17

[QUOTE=DenbighRed;2182134]Very good performance from us today, special mentions to Summerfield, Walker, Lawlor and Pyke who I thought were all excellent.

But let’s not get carried away, frankly I thought Ebbsfleet were shockingly bad. Not only that, but 4 or 5 of their players looked chronically unfit and more like something you’d expect to see on a Sunday morning, not Saturday afternoon. Kedwell and Magri especially should be ashamed to call themselves professional footballers. If I was an ebbsfleet fan I’d be furious, being in good condition is the very least you expect from your players.[/QUOTE]

They had won 3 and drawn 2 away from home , cant be that bad .

RHYLRED 16th September 2018 07.39:13

[QUOTE=Redordead;2182142][url]https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=qGrqS_-zRa0[/url]

Away day vlog here.[/QUOTE]

That Pike goal was a joy to watch.

Prodigal Dragon 16th September 2018 08.05:39

[QUOTE=moynkeepthefaith;2182051]We just won a difficult game 4-1 :) agree about Jennings but as I said - think he didn’t want a red card (which he probably should have got for the tackle anyway)[/QUOTE]

Their No11 beat him for pace and skill several times. I am sure SDR sees his weaknesses - he gave him a good bollocking at one stage - but we need to sort out the 2 full-backs. On balance, Carrington is the best of the lot; can Tharme play at LB?

Other than this, thought yesterday’s performance was excellent to begin with, and remained good in the second-half. I am confident there is still better to come, but these next 3 games will show what our true mettle is. Fingers crossed, eh!:)

welshian 16th September 2018 08.13:58

Was that beavon's second or third? Seems to be quite sharp for a guy who rarely scores. Never thought we'd play like this so soon after last season. Amazing turn around in just a few months. No doubt we'll have more dodgy days but it makes a fantastic change to look forward to the next game.

Old Paddock Man 16th September 2018 08.33:59

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2182150]Their No11 beat him for pace and skill several times. I am sure SDR sees his weaknesses - he gave him a good bollocking at one stage - but we need to sort out the 2 full-backs. On balance, Carrington is the best of the lot; can Tharme play at LB?

Other than this, thought yesterday’s performance was excellent to begin with, and remained good in the second-half. I am confident there is still better to come, but these next 3 games will show what our true mettle is. Fingers crossed, eh!:)[/QUOTE]

Jennings did have a very uncomfortable afternoon. Couple of things struck me. He was up against Weston a very good player at this level with bags of FL experience, he got little or no help from those in front of him ;who were probably enjoying themselves too much tearing Fleet apart) and that mad yellow card meant he could hardly risk a tackle. Having his hands so full meant he couldn’t get forward either which is the best bit of his game. Not making excuses. He needs to up his game and has to produce better than this.

138+NotOut 16th September 2018 08.39:55

Roberts isn't an offensive RB so it's hard to criticise his attacking play. Jennings is a risk. Should of been sent off today imo for two yellows
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

krux 16th September 2018 08.40:39

[QUOTE=Old Paddock Man;2182154]Jennings did have a very uncomfortable afternoon. Couple of things struck me. He was up against Weston a very good player at this level with bags of FL experience, he got little or no help from those in front of him ;who were probably enjoying themselves too much tearing Fleet apart) and that mad yellow card meant he could hardly risk a tackle. Having his hands so full meant he couldn’t get forward either which is the best bit of his game. Not making excuses. He needs to up his game and has to produce better than this.[/QUOTE]

I dont recall him having a difficult time in the first half. It was only post yellow card and when victory was assured that he struggled with the winger. You point about support is an important one too.

OriginalRhylRed 16th September 2018 08.47:10

great first half , Summerfield ran the show , sublime finish from Pyke , second half we were at half pace . Number 11 for Ebbsfleet ran Jennings ragged second half . Onwards and Upwards.

moynkeepthefaith 16th September 2018 09.08:31

[QUOTE=krux;2182157]I dont recall him having a difficult time in the first half. It was only post yellow card and when victory was assured that he struggled with the winger. You point about support is an important one too.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

He didn’t have a problem first half (until that idiotic challenge) but they switched to his side once he got the yellow. Thought the ref was lenient but actually rather good throughout the game.
Jennings is an excellent crosser of a ball and a good header but faced with a quick winger he struggles.
He ges more protection from the likes of Wright.

DoomandGloom 16th September 2018 09.08:51

Jennings put himself in the position of having to be very careful, was a poor challenge for his first yellow and on another day he could have seen red. Possibly he should have seen red for the later challenge. However, he didn't so hopefully Sam will have a chat and tell him to calm it down.

John Neals Dynasty 16th September 2018 10.38:46

I've only just come down from cloud 9 WOW,WOW & WOW what a first half that was they blew Ebbsfleet away and it blew me away to the best first 45 mins I've seen here for a lotta yrs, I think Sam has been looking at Liverpool with their high pressing game, like others I was shocked when I seen the team selection and thought Sam was a tinkerer but it shows his quality that he realised Tmd is lazy and Fondup a one trick pony.

The midfield was the best I've seen since Keates,Harris & Fowler Summerfield is pure class at this level, Walker was outstanding after a ponderous start, as for upfront Holroyd was out to prove something that first 45 mins he ran his socks off he sure needed that after recent performances, Beavon is a masterstroke signing pure quality upfront and getting better as he gets fitter, Pyke wow he is class at this level you can see why Huddersfield rate him he is only 20 all the moaning on here about signing him and Beavon at the time I bet they are glad they are wrong.

Defense what a signing our new central defender is Manny will struggle to get back in this side Lawlor has it all. The weak links is the fullbacks I hope Sam's on the look our for a leftback as Jennings is a liability he lacks pace if this side had to good wingbacks with pace we rollover a few teams playing like that.

Second half was the inevitable foot off the gas and it's something Sam needs to get over to the players that the game is 90 mins not 45 Jennings was lucky not to be sent off and gave away 2 dangerous free kicks sorry still room for improvement in the team as it's looking like being a very hard league to win this season, Harrogate doesn't look like a flash in the pan Salford are finding consistency Leyton Orient are looking a top side still unbeaten like Harrogate a tough season ahead.

TomWFC 16th September 2018 11.27:07

[QUOTE=Pinnerred;2182085]Great result. I went to Wycombe v Oxford as its only about 17 m from home although it would have been quicker to have gone to Wrexham. We are at least as good as both of these league one teams. We also have a better left back than Wycombe![/QUOTE]

Goodness me who was their left back that Jennings is apparently better than!?

There’s no escaping the fact that Jennings is a very poor footballer. His decision making, both attacking and in defensive, is terrible. Attacking wise, he often hits the cross too early and with too much pace - he’ll hit one good one in 20.

Defensively he mis-times interceptions and challenges.

Couple this with his generally poor distribution and petulance then a new left-back is a must in January.

Funny_Old_Game 16th September 2018 11.30:01

Jennings was up against one of the best players in the division in fairness. That Whitely is a real talent.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 08.00:52.